On Presentation, Performance, and Style- Players and DMs

pogre

Legend
Visual elements of the game are important to me. I use painted miniatures and terrain and 'wowing' players with my layout. My players tease me if I do not have just the right miniature or terrain prepared.

In terms of game presentation style - I push the pace. I bring the game to the players - whether it is roleplaying social interactions, exploration, or combat. I throw action at the players with lots of encounters.

I ask for lots of input from players on what they would like to do next or things they would like to experience in the campaign. However, my style is far from sandbox and more multi-choice style.

I am definitely a high prep DM. I can handle improvisation pretty well, but designing encounters is a big part of my enjoyment of the game.

My players love my game, but it certainly would not be for everyone. If you or your players brag about having entire sessions without rolling a die - you probably would be a poor fit at my table.

pogre

Legend
That's awesome! See, that's what I love to hear; your style is completely different than mine (I'm ToTM, lower prep) but when I read about how you do it, and how enthusiastic you are .... man, that sounds fun!

(PS- you know, if you ever feel like sharing pics of the terrain and minis ... I won't complain!)

So, you did ask ;)
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?608358-2018-Pogre-s-Miniatures-and-Models-A-BIG-finish-to-the-year-with-The-Wizard-s-Tower!

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?656158-2019-Pogre-s-Miniatures-and-Models-Custom-Monster-for-DoMM-and-a-Pair-of-Knights

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I also have a very "bring it to the players" style. Most campaigns start in medias res. Many involve a serious time line of events that are put into motion and require the players to not delay.

I tend to steal shamelessly from published modules, movies, and books, but put it into a campaign all my own. I've found running modules actually harder than running self prepared stuff - Making sure the module flows and gives a fun experience to the players tends to be just that much more work on my part than doing my own thing! As such, I'll steal from modules gladly, but rarely run any actual cover to cover ones.

There is fairly high amount of dice getting rolled at the table: my group (a bunch of working professionals, most with school age families) is, as a whole, much more interested in putting ax to orc than trying to wade into a political jungle or morally ambiguous mess.

We use miniatures and used to use "edible enemies," though that's been frowned on lately as everyone seems to be on a diet (the perils of hitting 40+).

I've been using more ambient sounds and other mood music - seems to set the tone quite well and players enjoy it.

Last edited:

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
One simple thing that I have done is remove The DM’s Screen (Pee chee Folder, binder, etc.) between me and the players. It’s easier to communicate when the players can see body language.

Oofta

Legend
Paladins. Lots and lots of paladins. Preferably gnomes dual-wielding rapiers. If the game ever drags, all I have to do is "could I have more gnomes? More paladins?" The answer of course is always YES!

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I have a penchant for silly names in my games, both as a player and DM, because I find them funny and, because others find them funny, they are more memorable. Presenting NPC names this way is good for retention. I struggle to remember NPCs with the usual fantasy RPG names, but you don't forget even minor NPCs like the Marguul bugbear gladiator, Dikpik the Unsolicited, who showed up without notice to harass the PCs or one of the players remarking "You're smaller than I expected."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases