What is missing in 5E that you had in other editions?

Draegn

Explorer
[MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] Do the tables you miss include the roll a d12 for a date chart? Is this what dual rapier wielding gnome paladins have to do?

I guess the big difference is "in print" where I can thumb through it at my FLGS or conventions. The DM's Guild material is also heavily skewed to the Forgotten Realms, so if you're wanting something other than vanilla, high fantasy, you're out of luck. The creativity and diversity we saw in the d20 era with products like fantasy products like Ptolus, and also different genres like Mutants and Masterminds, Delta Green - we just don't see that these b days.

There is www.drivethrurpg.com for your non-FR needs.

A search for 5e with Dungeons & Dragons selected as the Rule System comes up with 4,004 products.

Last edited:

ccooke

Adventurer
4e bloodied condition and mechanics for it.

I find it interesting that the gaming group I play with who least liked 4e have adopted bloodied as a soft condition (in the sense that with PCs and a lot of creatures, "lost half their hit points" is a thing that you can imagine being able to work out. "How's it looking" is always a question when people are planning out what they're doing.

Of course, there's little mechanical support for it as there was in 4e (although there are a few things with magic, items and subclasses).

Nebulous

Legend
I miss gradients of Damage Reduction and Vulnerability, instead of a flat half damage or double damage. In the same vein, I miss that especially tougher foes needed a +2 or +3 weapon to hit, instead of just "magic weapon", or they had gradients of spell resistance instead of a flat advantage on saves.

Tangential to the usual point, I miss being able to cast a cure spell that felt like it had a tangible effect. It just doesn't feel satisfying to heal damage, when you know the damage is going to heal quickly anyway if you just ignore it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases