[UPDATED] Green Ronin Finds Religion In D&D 5E's BOOK OF THE RIGHTEOUS

Back in the early days D&D 3rd Edition, Green Ronin released two books for the game which I adored and still have to this day. One was the Book of Fiends: Legions of Hell (a supplement which was followed up by Armies of the Abyss). The other was Aaron Loeb's Book of the Righteous, an enormous 300+ page tome crammed full of religions to use in your D&D game. It detailed the churches, the rituals, the beliefs, and more behind a detailed pantheon of over 20 churches.

BotR.jpg

UPDATE: This Kickstarter is now live.

So the book is coming to Kickstarter soon, and the new rules material will be written by Robert J. Schwalb, one of D&D 5E's designers (Schwalb produces his own current RPG, Shadow of the Demon Lord). Green Ronin, of course, is the company which brought you Out of the Abyss for D&D 5E. This book definitely won't be lacking in 5th Edition pedigree!

The original version contained these religions, each detailed with a half dozen pages on myths, workings, churches, orders, and more.

The Old Gods. The Eyes of Urian, The Foundations of Rontra, The Basins of Shalimyr, The Druids of Eliwyn, The Followers of the Nameless One.

The Gods of the Tree. The Healing Halls of Morwyn, The Temples of Terak, The Vineyards of Zheenkeef, The Scriptoriums of Tinel, The Sacristies of Mormelcar.

The Gods of the Womb. The Courts of Maal, The Houses of Darmon, The Lyceums of Aymara, The Guildhalls of Korak, The Hearths of Anwyn.

The Three Sisters. The Dark Sister, The Red Sister, The Golden Sister.

The Evil Gods. Asmodeus, Canarak, Hellos, Naran, plus some evil and heretical cults.

The original book also contained an overall cosmology, using religions in a campaign, and a bunch of rules including feats, spells, domains, magic items, artifacts, and creatures.

Below is a peek at the D&D 3rd Edition version, detailing one of the churches in the book. You can look at the whole 11-page church here (PDF); below is just a couple of excerpts. Obviously the 5E version will be redesigned for the current game and if Kickstarter does it's usual thing might have awesome stretch goals for new colour art and cool stuff like that (just conjecture on my part).

More as and when I hear it!

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 12.45.24.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 12.45.37.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 12.45.49.png

Last edited by a moderator:

One of my top ten books from Era 3.XE/d20. I don't know that this needs to be redone nor that it is really possible. I'm fairly certain that buying the original would be useful enough for any 5E GM who wanted to expand their homebrew setting in religious ways.

So the thousands of new 5e DMs should go out and try and find a copy of an old out-of-print book? I think I might have a pdf of the 3.5 version somewhere, but I would be happy to buy a new physical updated copy of this, as I am sure many others would. Green Ronin must feel the same way or they would not be working on it.

On a side note, if I remember correctly, this book is where actually useable CG and NG versions of paladins could be found. That does not matter as much now, since paladins do not have to be LG in 5E, but I would still like to see updates of those variations.

Khaalis

Adventurer
I just wonder if they will have the same permissions to improve on what we have for 5e. It seems like the 5e OGL is more restrictive.

Actually over One Shot Pocast, they had a lawyer look it over and explains it is literally a copy pasted version of the original OGL. Also the lawyer managed to turn up two pretty hilarious typos that have been around apparently for 15 years and were not changed in that time.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Despite being a huge fan of 3PP D20 stuff back in the day, and of Green Ronin, I never wound up getting this one. If it's focused on churches, practices, rites, holidays, etc., is there any reason one couldn't just lift all that material from the book and apply it to the gods of a FR/Greyhawk/homebrew pantheon? I imagine it'd just be a matter of changing some proper nouns and a few minor details, wouldn't it?
Love ya Mouseferatu, but no, not so easy. I'm a huge fan of the BotR and there is little if anything in it that could e bashed into fitting a published pantheon like FR/Greyhawk. Homebrew yes. In fact the only "organized religion" in my homebrew world is "The Old Gods" from BotR. The only thing you could 'easily" lift from the book for use with say FR, would be the template used to present the deities.

This book was revolutionary for what it is. Yes, it is a highly focused sourcebook, but by doing so it elevated the presentation of Religion in an RPG to a whole new level. I am personally a large HATER of the 2-3 sentence blurb plus 2-3 stats that encompass most RPG's idea of detailing a religion. If I want to bring religion into my RPG, I want the players to be able to fully immerse themselves into what it is to be a part of said religion. As a devoted servant of any religion, the religion should be a primary portion o what defines you as a person. Additionally, the author of the book obviously has some level of theological or mythological studies because all of the deities, deity group and full pantheons work very well. We're not talking the Poetic Edda here, but they are the most detailed RP religions I've ever seen and that includes the old 2E series on the FR deities.

I would strongly encourage Anyone who has even a small inkling of interest in mythological religion for RPGs to read this book, even if just as a resource for how to do it right.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
So the thousands of new 5e DMs should go out and try and find a copy of an old out-of-print book?

I meant it could be reprinted while others could grab the PDF. But, I'd be amazed if hundreds if not a thousand folks couldn't find a copy of the old one on the secondary market. It's all over the place.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
There are a lot of us that don't have this book and have no easy way of getting a copy.

Amazon, eBay, and any number of places have copies of it but reprinting the original should work too, if necessary. PDF is the best choice for most folks nowadays anyway. It's easier to have with you on a tablet or laptop, in your cloud for access anytime and anywhere, and for copying and pasting portions into your game notes for prep.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I just wonder if they will have the same permissions to improve on what we have for 5e. It seems like the 5e OGL is more restrictive.

Actually over One Shot Pocast, they had a lawyer look it over and explains it is literally a copy pasted version of the original OGL. Also the lawyer managed to turn up two pretty hilarious typos that have been around apparently for 15 years and were not changed in that time.

I think what Zaran means to say is that WotC was much more limiting in what they added to the OGC under the OGL by means of their newest SRD.

rhombism

Villager
I skipped from AD&D to 5e, so wasn't familiar with Forgotten Realms until very recently. It sounds like if I'll be living here for a while, best bet for this kind of info is Faiths and Pantheons, since it essentially covers the gods and their stories within FR, right? Have the gods or their relationships changed from 3.5 to 5e significantly enough that F&P wouldn't still be useful, obviously aside from the mechanics of gameplay against the deities? Or does anyone know of plans to update F&P? Thanks

[MENTION=6810178]Rhombist[/MENTION] if you look at what WotC is putting out the chances of a new F&P is virtually nil. 3rd party, especially stuff from the DMs Guild, is your best bet for this sort of stuff.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
This book was revolutionary for what it is. Yes, it is a highly focused sourcebook, but by doing so it elevated the presentation of Religion in an RPG to a whole new level. I am personally a large HATER of the 2-3 sentence blurb plus 2-3 stats that encompass most RPG's idea of detailing a religion. If I want to bring religion into my RPG, I want the players to be able to fully immerse themselves into what it is to be a part of said religion. As a devoted servant of any religion, the religion should be a primary portion o what defines you as a person. Additionally, the author of the book obviously has some level of theological or mythological studies because all of the deities, deity group and full pantheons work very well. We're not talking the Poetic Edda here, but they are the most detailed RP religions I've ever seen and that includes the old 2E series on the FR deities.

Pretty much this!^^

TBotR actually went into what the religions themselves do and mean, A focus more on churches then the actual gods, doctorine vs. 'truth'.

The pantheon is pretty much done, no real reason to expand it with new gods, but there was much room to expand the level of detail for the evil gods, the Lords of Hell, and the cults. I loved how they had a chapter on how to integrate the pantheon in an existing setting.

$30 for the print book isn't going to happen, 14 years ago it was already $40. I'm in for the pdf, might be in for a deluxe version if the content (fluff/art) is expanded...

TBotR is my favorite 3(.5)E D20/D&D book and I never play a cleric...

I can only say Aaron Loeb for President! ;-)

ps. After 14 years, this is still up:
http://greenronin.com/tree_of_life/index.php?x=main.htm

pps. There were many great GR books that slotted perfectly into TBotR: Legions of Hell, Armies of the Abyss, Unholy Warriors, etc.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases