D&D 5E Princes of the Apocalypse campaign recaps

wedgeski

Adventurer
In the meantime, a year has passed and the players are enjoying life and are invited to Goldenfields for a celebration and to visit the sacred grove they helped establish by rescuing Teresiel and the Magic seeds. And then the events from SKT took place. So at this point I think I will run the party through some of the events of SKT, and maybe add some stuff from Yawning Portal to challenge them. Then I guess they'll be figuring out how to get to Orcus.
Sounds great!

Nebulous

Legend
The PCs don't know it, but the efreet that turned invisible went down the shaft to the Fane and grabbed reinforcements. Next round or two there are fire minotaurs and two Brass Minotaur Golems coming into the Forge Room from the platform.

LapBandit

First Post
The PCs don't know it, but the efreet that turned invisible went down the shaft to the Fane and grabbed reinforcements. Next round or two there are fire minotaurs and two Brass Minotaur Golems coming into the Forge Room from the platform.

It sounds like you appropriately are beefing up their enemies.

Regarding potions on belts, does being knocked prone destroy said potion?

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
Fantastic! Good to hear that your campaign ended on such a good note. We are drawing nearer to the end, but having only 2 hour sessions each week REALLY draws it out, so that's why it's going to take up to 80 sessions probably. I wasn't planning on running past 11th/12th level, but you had the good idea of YAwning Portal, maybe I could just take one adventure from that. We were going to skip D&D for a while actually and try something else, I need a break from D&D. Especially the high level where we are at, I have to really plan out encounters and it takes a lot of time.

We finished our PoTA game ages ago now and have been playing Numenera. I thoroughly recommend it, or possibly look at The Strange (which I have not played). The Cypher System (which both games use) is a nice change of pace after D&D and it works better as Theatre of the Mind. It's a lot less prep as well which is a bonus.

Edit: here is my journal from our Numenera game - https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1489159/the-ninth-world - we play via Roll20. No battlemaps but lots of handouts and pictures.

Nebulous

Legend
It sounds like you appropriately are beefing up their enemies.

Regarding potions on belts, does being knocked prone destroy said potion?

Probably not. The PCs would use every opportunity to trip the enemy easily, break their potions and deprive me of the satisfaction ;) Besides, if I tried to do that to THEM, it would cause a furious uproar of opposition that ain't worth it!

Nebulous

Legend
We finished our PoTA game ages ago now and have been playing Numenera. I thoroughly recommend it, or possibly look at The Strange (which I have not played). The Cypher System (which both games use) is a nice change of pace after D&D and it works better as Theatre of the Mind. It's a lot less prep as well which is a bonus.

Edit: here is my journal from our Numenera game - https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1489159/the-ninth-world - we play via Roll20. No battlemaps but lots of handouts and pictures.

I think we are doing a short End of the World Apocalypse scenario from Fantasy Flight, then doing the Strange next, so i'm looking forward to both.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Fantastic documents!

Would you mind, and I hope I haven't asked this before, describing your process for getting the battlemats printed?

Nebulous

Legend
Fantastic documents!

Would you mind, and I hope I haven't asked this before, describing your process for getting the battlemats printed?

WEll, first I bought the map pack from the artist's website, I think it was around $25 for every map in the adventure. I opened them all up in Photoshop and made sure that each square one was inch to a side, although this is still 10 foot squares, so not ideal for lots of enemies on the board. I also bumped up the saturation on all the maps so the colors were more vivid. Then I saved them as a PDF, and when I print, I print them as tiles so they come out in overlapping sheets. Then I have to trim the white edges and tape them together. The whole process is rather time intensive and I'm glad I'm at the end of the campaign. If I could print them out in one sheet that would be great (which is doable but expensive) or use one of those projectors. Still, these awesome maps were one of the highlights of the whole campaign and they brought a lot of life to it.

Remove ads