Is Lesser restoration the new cure disease?

Coroc

Hero
My Group plays the out of the abyss campaign atm. (I am a PC in that one so no Spoilers in this thread, please)There are some environmental effects and Monster attacks which cause disadvantage to attacks and saving thorws or skill and attribute checks and these effects are labeled to be curable by "cure disease" whioch o wonder does not exist anymore in 5E.We ruled that lesser restoration would do the trick, since we are Level 5 atm. no other resource is available. (There is also an item which can do this once a day which you can find in the campaign, again pls no Spoilers)How do you handle this in this campaign or generally?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
That spell does not exist, however there are several spells and class features that can cure disease as a mechanic. Such as Lay on Hands. Any one of them should be viable.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Heh, a disconnect between spells referenced in the MM and those that actually exist in the PH? 5e really is capturing the feel of 1e AD&D!

Lesser restoration can explicitly 'end' one disease affecting the target. Other than saying 'end' rather than 'cure,' that subsumes the traditional Cure Disease.

Greg K

Legend
My question is, if one wanted make cure disease, neutralize poison and stone to flesh their own spells again, what should the level of each spell be?

Last edited:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Yes.
Lesser restoration and greater restoration have replaced cure disease, neutralise poison, stone to flesh, and the like.

It is interesting (at least to me) that the ability to restore petrified characters has been taken away from wizards in 5e and granted to bards, clerics, druids and paladins. Being used to previous editions it feels a bit weird to me, but I must admit that it is probably thematically more appropriate for the "healer" classes to have it.

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
It is interesting (at least to me) that the ability to restored petrified characters has been takes away from wizards in 5e and granted to bards, clerics, druids and paladins. Being used to previous editions it feels a bit weird to me, but I must admit that it is probably thematically more appropriate for the "healer" classes to have it.

The really weird part about that is now Wizards have access to the only healing spell that works on any creature now, while the healers who aren't Clerics don't.

The really weird part about that is now Wizards have access to the only healing spell that works on any creature now, while the healers who aren't Clerics don't.
Was there ever an edition where Bards or Druids were as good at healing as Clerics were? (Maybe 4E? I seem to recall that they relied on rituals for reversing diseases and petrifications and whatnot, but did Clerics have easier access to those rituals or anything?)

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Was there ever an edition where Bards or Druids were as good at healing as Clerics were? (Maybe 4E? I seem to recall that they relied on rituals for reversing diseases and petrifications and whatnot, but did Clerics have easier access to those rituals or anything?)

3.x

But that's because disposable magic wands and scrolls outpaced any kind of spell-slot based healing.

3.x

But that's because disposable magic wands and scrolls outpaced any kind of spell-slot based healing.
That wasn't my experience, but in any case, my point is just that non-Clerics have never had a full claim to the title of Healer. It's not weird if Wizards have access to a healing spell that works on anybody, while Druids and Bards do not, because Druids and Bards have no reasonable expectation to do everything that a Cleric could do when it comes to healing.

Although I'm also not sure which spell you're talking about, which meets that criteria.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases