D&D 5E What DM flaw has caused you to actually leave a game?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I really do enjoy quoting a certain paragraph from page 10 of the DMG:

And it goes on to say that association can even be a null pointer without causing a compilation or runtime error.

Except nobody is arguing that the DM can't change the fluff. :)

That page in the DMG is about the DM altering things for his world. And it's right, it doesn't matter what he chooses to alter, so long as it's fun for the players.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But if I kill the clone I haven't harmed you at all, and you can always churn out another one...

Same with an avatar. You can destroy the avatar, but it doesn't say that the power is destroyed. Since it's just a projection of the power of the deity, presumably that power goes back to the god who is now perturbed that the avatar was killed.

Satyrn

First Post
Except nobody is arguing that the DM can't change the fluff. :)

Hey, I'm not arguing anything. It's just my life's mission to point out this fact repeatedly when discussing gods in 5e. Well, it's more like one of my life's continuing side quests.

My life's mission is to top the Laughs columns. I'm almost there. I'm topping the Laughs Given by quite a wide margin over [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] and I'm closing in on him for Laughs Received. Once I catch him, its just [MENTION=205]TwoSix[/MENTION] and . . .

. . . [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION]. Sigh That one's gonna take a while.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Hey, I'm not arguing anything. It's just my life's mission to point out this fact repeatedly when discussing gods in 5e. Well, it's more like one of my life's continuing side quests.

My life's mission is to top the Laughs columns. I'm almost there. I'm topping the Laughs Given by quite a wide margin over [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] and I'm closing in on him for Laughs Received. Once I catch him, its just [MENTION=205]TwoSix[/MENTION] and . . .

. . . [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION]. Sigh That one's gonna take a while.

There. Helped you out a bit. [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] is going to be the tough one. He's pretty darn funny.

Aldarc

Legend
It boils down to this yes or no question. If I were to play a cleric in your game, could I be a cleric of a god that is benevolent and intrusive as allowed by the PHB? I think you'll avoid that question, but I'm asking it anyway.

So if Eberron allows all of the PHB cleric class as you claim, then I can have a god that is benevolent and intrusive as a cleric in Eberron.
Lol. This is far-fetched, even for you. I never said the bold. I said that its deities falls within the range of possible flavors that PHB discusses.

You cannot play a cleric of Pelor in Forgotten Realms, so clearly Forgotten Realms has changed the cleric class. This is of the same nonsensical level, Max. Your argument is farcical and silly. It's difficult to believe that you mean it in earnest, but I do know that you like to argue for the sake of arguing. You think that this boils down to your question, but it doesn't.

The proper question is: do Eberron deities conform with the any of the expectations for that the 3e cleric that the PHB discusses? And the answer is "yes." And we may also ask: does the flavor text of 3e PHB cleric preclude Eberron style deities? And the answer is likewise "no."

Last edited:

Ganymede81

First Post
You cannot play a cleric of Pelor in Forgotten Realms

This isn't true because I played a cleric of Pelor in the Forgotten Realms during an AL game. I even got advantage on a check for a notable improvised prayer to Pelor in-game.

Does this have anything to do with your discussion? No, but I just wanted to remind you that anything is possible and that your dreams are within reach.

Aldarc

Legend
This isn't true because I played a cleric of Pelor in the Forgotten Realms during an AL game. I even got advantage on a check for a notable improvised prayer to Pelor in-game.
Pelor is not listed in the 3.0 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book, and therefore playing a Pelor cleric in Forgotten Realms would be a change to the cleric class as per Maxperson. :p

Also the 3.0 PHB flavor text for the cleric establishes that most humans follow Pelor. If most do not follow Pelor, then the Forgotten Realms changes the cleric class because fluff are rules. :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases