D&D 5E Wizard archetype needed!

gyor

Legend
Sure, all D&D magic is more properly Thaumaturgy.

The line between Thaumaturgy and Theurgy can be blurry at times, it's not unheard of for the ancient Theurgists to produce miracles at times.

Oh and here is the Chaldean Oracles said be the bible of the Neoplatonists. https://hermetic.com/texts/chaldean

A Thuergist class would require a design that is very different from a cleric or Paladin

More Rituals, getting in contact with their guardian Daimon (not to be confused with a Christian Demon, more like the modern concept of Guardian Angel), of course sensationalized Hollywood Style.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
The Celestial patron Warlock gets access to Cleric spells.

Interesting, I never noticed before, but the Celestial Pact Warlock IS closer to a Thuergist, especially a Celestial Tomelock. Not perfect, but much better then cleric or Wizard. But switch the magic from Arcane to Divine and add some kind of Henosis feature.

I still think that Thuergist would work better as it's own class, one without spell slots, but instead based on Rituals somehow. Note sure how to do combat utility. Still as far as preexisting classes Celestial Tomelock is not bad.

Another approach, a Divine Soul who achieves their magic spark by achieving Henosis with their God/s. Still take Ritual Casting.

Last edited:

FarBeyondC

Explorer
I never got it off the idea stage (because I'm lazy and going through each and every spell to find its appropriate domain(s) sounds too much like work), but I've thought about doing a Wizard archetype called the Divine Scholar / Domain Scholar which worked along the same vein as the original 8 school archetypes, but with the various Domains instead.

gyor

Legend
You could always play a 17th level wizard who casts Wish every day to emulate a cleric spell.

You could also just take the Ritual Caster: Cleric Feat and Magic Inniate: Cleric feats, that nets you a whole bunch of Cleric spells castable as rituals up to 6th level, one 1st level spell, say cure wounds, with one slotless casting per long rest, and two cleric Cantrips, say Guidance and Hand of Light. That is a lot of magic, all of it usable at will, except for cure wounds. If that isn't enough take the spell sniper feat for an extra Cleric Attack Cantrip. And use your find familiar spell to summon a celestial familiar. Bonus points, play an Aaasimar.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
There was the Theologian (EN5ider article Volumes of Forgotten Lore: Divine, by Ari Marmell, [MENTION=1288]Mouseferatu[/MENTION] here).

I can't access this at the moment, but this is what I thought of. :)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
You could also just take the Ritual Caster: Cleric Feat and Magic Inniate: Cleric feats, that nets you a whole bunch of Cleric spells castable as rituals up to 6th level, one 1st level spell, say cure wounds, with one slotless casting per long rest, and two cleric Cantrips, say Guidance and Hand of Light.
What is Hand of Light? I don't know it.

Also -- one of the cool things with Ritual Caster is that you don't need Wisdom to choose cleric -- you can take the feat with Cleric rituals, as long as your Intelligence is 13+. (For other cleric things, you want Wisdom, obviously).
That is a lot of magic, all of it usable at will, except for cure wounds. If that isn't enough take the spell sniper feat for an extra Cleric Attack Cantrip.
Except there aren't any Cleric attack cantrips, are there?
Sacred Flame doesn't require an attack roll, but a save.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases