SLA Industries 2nd Edition Coming In September

This September, Nightfall Games will be launching a Kickstarter for the 2nd Edition of the 1993 British RPG SLA Industries, where the titular corporation rules over a dystopian world.

This September, Nightfall Games will be launching a Kickstarter for the 2nd Edition of the 1993 British RPG SLA Industries, where the titular corporation rules over a dystopian world.

1-640x870.jpg

"SLA Industries is a role-playing game of urban horror, set in The World of Progress; a vast world of ruin and decay. At the very heart of this world lies Mort City, a false beacon of hope upon an otherwise dystopian planet. Under the skin of this sprawling city are the Operatives of SLA Industries. These agents, investigators and trained soldiers do the company’s dirty work, cleaning the streets of serial killers, cultists and Carrien vermin, whilst being sure to make the right impression for the cameras."

The new version has a brand new rules system, and will be accompanied by a Quickstart PDF.

Originally published in 1993, SLA Industries was purchased by WotC before being republished by Nightfall Games. Cubicle 7 produced material for a few years, and now it's back with Nightfall.

You can find more information here.

Well, I've been waiting for a second edition of SLA Industries for about two decades now, so I expect to at least take a look at the quickstart rules. That said, "brand new rules system", "cinematic gaming experience", and "narrative driven game play" raise a yellow flag for me. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

The megacorporations can be an antagonist faction in lots of stories of speculative fiction, but the abuse of the cliche may be to become really annoying. Sometimes I miss some work about a dystopia where the economy is monopolized by the state, where the businessmen and CEOs are former politicians or high commissioners enjoying their revolving doors, and they don't worry about being competitive because no rival brand is going to steal them clients or suffering the consequences of their mistakes because we are who are going to pay for the broken plates.

The megacorporations can be an antagonist faction in lots of stories of speculative fiction, but the abuse of the cliche may be to become really annoying. Sometimes I miss some work about a dystopia where the economy is monopolized by the state, where the businessmen and CEOs are former politicians or high commissioners enjoying their revolving doors, and they don't worry about being competitive because no rival brand is going to steal them clients or suffering the consequences of their mistakes because we are who are going to pay for the broken plates.

Sci-fi stories tend to be about the society they are written in. If anything the megacorp concept will go out of fashion because people crave escapism.

When readers, players or watchers want escapism and to forget the problems of the ordinary life, then the speculative fiction used as propaganda weapon becomes really annoying.

The cyberpunk genre is becoming "old fashioned" because this shows its authors' point of view about modern society, but new the new generations are having got a different opinion about where is the root of the trouble. The diagnosis of the disease is only the first step but now people want to talk about how should be the true treatment, and how to report the "serpent-oil sellers".

And heroes need different antagonists, not always with the same archenemy. Cyberpunk RPGs also need to face secret agents as infiltrators and serving foreign dictatorships (maybe a micro-state in a arcology?), street gangs working for international mafia groups, politicians who are simple front men of secret societies..

R Cautela

Villager
Well, I've been waiting for a second edition of SLA Industries for about two decades now, so I expect to at least take a look at the quickstart rules. That said, "brand new rules system", "cinematic gaming experience", and "narrative driven game play" raise a yellow flag for me. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Why the flags?

Remove ads

Remove ads