So, that GTA V, huh?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've played about 4 hours of the game so far, and I'm loving it much more than GTA IV. I found the previous one a little dull, taking itself a little too seriously (excepting a couple of marvellous set pieces). This one brings the humour back.

I'm also flabbergasted by the graphics these days. Admittedly, I don't play many video games any more, but the city in GTA V looks and feels real to me. The level of detail, the ambient sounds - it's approaching an astonishing level.

The driving is much easier and more fun than GTA V. It's now as good as Driver (and Driver's awesome driving physics was the one thing it had over GTA) I can't remember the gun targeting system of IV, but this one feels easy. That's easy in a good way, not in a "makes the missions easy" way. The voice acting is the usual high GTA standard. So far I've met two of the three main characters, and switching between them at will is kinda fun.

Anyone else playing it? What do you think?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Never picked up the GTA series as I've never quite grokked the attraction. What kind of sales pitch would you give me on it?

Sales pitch? I wouldn't! I'm not trying to sell you a copy! :D

If forced into the role of unwilling salesman, I'd say if you like sandboxy open world stuff, the GTA series is the clear industry leader. Plus it's incredibly fun and immersive.

I'm a bit stuck part way through. I've just arranged the jewellery store heist, but I don't know how I trigger the mission. I've been switching between the two main characters I have so far and just wandering around doing random stuff, but I can't work out how to continue with the storyline stuff.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I have to agree on the driving physics. The cars in III and Vice floated. In IV they bounced. In V the physics are getting very close to a real feel.

Plus this is the first GTA where the shooty bits don't feel tacked on. Maybe a bit too easy, but they were always easy.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I'm loving it. I've played about 12 hours so far, and gotten to just after the first heist. The attraction to me is the richness of the world; there's just so much to see and do. To answer Olgar's question; it would be very difficult to not play as a criminal - but mostly because a lot of activities unlock as you play through the game. Once the game is complete, I suspect you could play for a long time without doing anything criminal at all. Also, once GTA Online comes online on Oct 1, I expect that there might well be some options to just roam about doing stuff.

Which brings me to this - I've started a crew for PS3 on the Rockstar Social Club. It's called the Perestroika VIP Club (the Perestroika Club being the Russian cabaret from GTA IV). If anyone wants to request an invite to the crew, feel free. Crews are a big part of the multiplayer experience - basically GTA Online will be GTA with co-op missions galore, up to and including heists. I expect I'll be playing a lot of that - I was very big into GTA IV multiplayer.

My PSN Handle is Morganthaler - feel free to friend me on there!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm loving it. I've played about 12 hours so far, and gotten to just after the first heist.

So how did you trigger the heist? I've chosen a crew and a style. Now I've been just driving around town doing nothing for three (in-game) days. I'm clearly missing something!

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Which style did you pick, Morrus? Smart or Loud? I picked Smart, and then I had to do a couple of minor prep missions (the below isn't a spoiler if you've gotten through the briefing and picked the Smart style):

[sblock]I had to go get a pest exterminator van, and then steal a shipment of knockout gas. The van is available near the docks in the south of town; it displays pretty clearly as a mission, and the shipment of knockout gas you need to hijack on the road somehow. Both of those are missions for Michael.
[/sblock]

but after that it went right into the heist. I'd call Lester, maybe he'll prompt you on what to do.

If you decided to go loud, Lester mentions:

[sblock]Needing to steal some guns from the Los Santos PD[/sblock]

But since I didn't pick that route I'm not sure what to do there, or if there were some more steps to take.

Remove ads