D&D 5E What's the point of gold?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
There are cliches and then there are archetypes. Some things work because they're recognisable. Or for structural reasons; the poor farmboy trope works so well because it helps explain the world and backstory to readers.
The poor unknown who becomes a rich champion is an element of the heroes journey, a part of Joseph Campbell's Hero of a Thousand Faces. That story goes back to Gilgamesh.

The rich hero isn't unknown but it's far less common. Found a couple examples:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GentlemanAdventurer
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrimefightingWithCash
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NonIdleRich
It's much more modern and tied to pulp characters.
D&D comes up as an example in a couple places, likely owing to modern editions. And it references an Order of the Stick strip I vaguely remember (but cannot find, to link to) where it jokes about party not having a better inn room because that would be suspicious, as adventurers never spending any money on that.

I'm aware of why its done that way and the heroes journey and all that I guess I'm just worn out on it. I don't mind the poor starting out protagonist, but I just get tired of saving the world trilogies I guess. Then again I'm tired of trilogies too lol! I'd rather read a series of short stories ala Conan or Fafhrd/GM, and the like.

neobolts

Explorer
Just having to track gold is a pain. Having to write and rewrite and change the numbers. Such an annoyance.
You should just skip it and say the players always just find enough gold to pay for all that stuff and only worry about the "real" treasure.

Things I never track unless expected to and never ask players to track:
-Gold for mundane purchases
-Encumberance unless they are trying to transport something really big
-Food/water unless they are in a dire environment or situation

One of our other players LIKES to track the above, but they generally like simulations with intricate micromanagement.

Riley37

First Post
It's a bold step that the hobby needed in my opinion. They gave us the basics to build a working game and left the more detailed world building aspects to the DM.

That's kind of like praising Microsoft for the bold step of creating a Graphical User Interface with Windows OS. Yes, a good thing, but they're not exactly the first one to ever do it.

It's a good step, I agree there, but it's only now catching up to GURPs, Hero System, and Chaosium's "Basic Role Playing", core rules engines which can drive the setting of your choice, sold separately from the various setting-appropriate add-on packages. Those were around in the 1980s. There are more now.

DM option to build own world is a good thing. Published materials for established settings are also a good thing.

Riley37

First Post

One of our other players LIKES to track the above, but they generally like simulations with intricate micromanagement.

As long as that player isn't slowing down the game for others, let them go as fine-resolution as they like, eh?

Are healing potions mundane? They are in basic rules and PHB shopping list; they are also gold-buyable HP-between-combats reserves, freeing up spell slots because you never spend slots on Cure Wounds.

I use gold for RP purposes all the time. Went to a public bath and had all my gear cleaned after getting back from the last adventure. Paid for a hireling muleskinner to have a rotten tooth taken out. Rounded my share to the nearest 50gp and gave the balance to an orphanage because my PC's parents were captured by drow when he was young. Bought some more healing potions and antitoxin.

bganon

Explorer
And let me gripe one more time about lifestyle expenses. Seriously, how many adult dragons does a man have to slay in his lifetime before he can reasonably expect to hang up his sword-belt, take a wife, and live the good life without ever worrying about running out of money in retirement? The answer really should be "one," but in this wacky D&D economy I think its more like a dozen. That's just messed up. :p

Um, isn't it one? Adult dragons average out at CR 15, and for dragons you should be rolling on the "hoard" table. Which gives you, on average, about 30,000 gp in coins before you even roll for art objects and magic items. That gives two people people a comfortable lifestyle for 20 years, so I guess maybe you worry a little bit about money in old age but knocking it down to "modest" doubles the duration, and from what the economy looks like even "modest" is much better than what most of the population has.

mlund

First Post
Um, isn't it one? Adult dragons average out at CR 15, and for dragons you should be rolling on the "hoard" table. Which gives you, on average, about 30,000 gp in coins before you even roll for art objects and magic items. That gives two people people a comfortable lifestyle for 20 years, so I guess maybe you worry a little bit about money in old age but knocking it down to "modest" doubles the duration, and from what the economy looks like even "modest" is much better than what most of the population has.

CR 15, OK, so you're either splitting that 4-6 ways else you're basically a demi-god capable of subjugating your own petty kingdom. Cut 30,000 GP 5 ways yields 6,000 GP, enough for two people to live the "comfortable" lifestyle for 1500 days, a little more than 4 years - assuming they don't have any children they have to pay for. Even doubling the worth with gems, items, and art-objects leads to less than 20 person-years worth of expenses (assuming no family expenses). If you have to pay for a wife and say 3 kids over the next 40 years (assuming you leave nothing to them when you die) you're looking at about 12 dragon hordes, give or take. I'm calling "pants" on that.

Seriously, the downtime expenses and gold inflation in this game are so out of whack it's hilarious.

Marty Lund

(This has been your daily dose of Pedantic Accountancy & Dragons.)

Last edited:

Tracking stuff like that varies between groups and games. Heck, how much I track varies depending on the theme of the campaign.

When my group was big damn heroes I never bothered with food or upkeep, especially since the party was very much vagabonds. And in my more Everyman Ravenloft campaign, I concerned the players with ammunition, rent, and spell components but not food, since they were seldom away from civilization for more than a day. My current campaign is pirates, so that stuff all falls to the wayside because boat.
But I've also played in a heavy sim game where tracking food and encuberance was a big part of the game, and spending a week in a dungeon was a huge chore since everyone had to carry tonnes of lantern oil and packs of food, and large amounts of the player's wealth was spent on food, replacing damaged clothing and gear, and the like.
And my next campaign will have a lot more tracking: the world is a homebrew that adds a dash of post-apocalypse to D&D and resources are not readily available in all regions. Tracking more minutiae emphasises the tone of the campaign, and the players have to actually plan ahead and consider their travel time.

Lord of the Rings provides an excellent example of both styles of game. Food is seldom mentioned early on, even when the party is travelling through Moria for days or on the road for weeks. Because there are regular stops in town. And when Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas are dashing across Rohan and Gondor they never concern themselves with that stuff. Or even looting gold, really. In contrast, when Sam and Frodo enter Mordor food is a regular concern and rationing supplies is important. Because stopping for supplies isn't an option.

I can understand *some* games not tracking it. But if every game does away upkeep and downtime, that just feels a little samey. I've done the "brave uber-heroes save the world" campaign a couple times already, why play it again? The game where the players are awarded with a keep that they have to repair, then have to defending the surrounding farms, and defeat local menaces could be interesting. As could the game where the player characters are business owners and working on expanding their supply chains. Having the innkeeper be a retired adventurer is a common trope, but why end the game there? The innkeeper might just leave the tavern in the hands of a manager and head into labyrinthine depths in search of fortune and glory.

One of the major literary types of conflict is Man Versus Nature. This is is very much struggling against the environment, worrying about food and exposure and the like. In D&D this is a big part of the exploration pillar, arguably a third of the game. Heck, the entire world of Dark Sun uses this as a major theme. It's exploratory combat, and potentially eats into spells and resources. Not tracking limited resources makes the game much easier. It makes hostile environments (dungeon, deserts, the underdark) less inhospitable. It's basically playing D&D on easy mode.
Why is tracking resources in Man Versus Man conflict (i.e. combat and. fighting monsters) acceptable but other forms of tracking a hassle?
Having to balance the food you need for a journey versus the weight you can carry is a form of tension in the game. Having to worry about also finding enough treasure to buy new arrows and food, and planning your journey to hit major towns changes how the story unfolds. Does the party risk travel over the swamp or desert where food will be hard to acquire or take the longer route along the roads where they can stop at every town?

Limited supplies also gives the party a reason to return to town and adds some verisimilitude to the game. I'm sure everyone's had the surprise dungeon adventure where the party accidentally ends up in a dungeon for far longer than expected. Which is fine so long as no one asks "Hey, what have we been eating the last three days?"
And returning to town provides a break in the tone of the game, allowing the players to engage in some roleplaying and not just spend twenty levels away from civilization and living as murder hobos. Some downtime also delays the speed of the campaign. If the PCs rapidly go from dungeon to dungeon or encounter to encounter the entire level 1-20 campaign could occur over as little as 50 days. I ran Rise of the Runelords a while back and that had all the downtime crafting Pathfinder had to offer and lengthy overland travel from one side of the nation to the other and the entire thing still only took five or so months.

Not tracking gold for mundane purchases made sense in 3e and 4e where players get an OMFGWTF amount of gold early on. Tracking food and supplies became unnecessary when the change from the purchase of your +2 magic weapon was enough to buy food for a year.
But it's certainly much more interesting in 5e where mundane purchases can take away a meaningful amount of your wealth.

Fanaelialae

Legend
[MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] [MENTION=13009]Paraxis[/MENTION]

I decided to see what I could come up with in terms of magic item prices. I'm sure it isn't as good as what WotC might come up with, but I believe it to be functional and in the meantime it could suffice for your needs. It's a public viewable google spreadsheet, so if you want to tweak the numbers just make a copy and have at it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SprfaZ63l4aminf040U6Mk1NVKTkWTkEcbOIAmdxeUU/edit?usp=sharing

Remove ads