Sending Spell: How many words to send teleportation circle sigil sequence?

the Jester

Legend
Okay, DMs, how do you rule on this?

If I cast sending, how many words does it take to send the sigil sequence of a teleport circle to someone?

Satyrn

First Post
I'd say six words, and 5 more to remind them to "add the point of origin." It might take another word or two if the address is for another galaxy.

. . . Because I can't think of any way to answer this except to turn to Stargate.

I don't think it works, honestly. The sigils of a teleportation circle are just that: images, not words. It's like trying to verbally describe a Celtic knotwork; it can't be done. You'd need a spell that allows you to send visual images, not words.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I don't think it works, honestly. The sigils of a teleportation circle are just that: images, not words. It's like trying to verbally describe a Celtic knotwork; it can't be done. You'd need a spell that allows you to send visual images, not words.

Well to be fair, the alphabet could be considered "sigils".

I kinda think like [MENTION=6801204]Satyrn[/MENTION], similar to stargate, there are a certain number of sigils (each has a name) and they spell out coordinates.

Reduced to the point of simplicity, sending someone the code could be "alpha, bravo, charlie, delta," etc

flametitan

Explorer
I'd probably do it like heraldry, where the sigil has a general blazon for representing it, and whether or not you can fit it in sending depends on how elaborate the blazon is. That said, I doubt most sigil sequences would be simple enough to send via sending, mostly because having one at all is a significant security risk; you don't want something that can be sent out to your enemies via spies with sending stones, do you?

I kinda think like [MENTION=6801204]Satyrn[/MENTION], similar to stargate, there are a certain number of sigils (each has a name) and they spell out coordinates.

I mean, sure, it can be interpreted that way, and more power to you if that's what you want. Me, I never even considered--and don't care for the idea--that these sigils represent anything in the way of coordinates. I view them as an array of magic symbols that are unique to each circle, but there's no set system; each is (to use my earlier example) like a Celtic knotwork of arcane glyphs. You have to see and memorize the pattern to target the circle.

I mean, sure, it can be interpreted that way, and more power to you if that's what you want. Me, I never even considered--and don't care for the idea--that these sigils represent anything in the way of coordinates. I view them as an array of magic symbols that are unique to each circle, but there's no set system; each is (to use my earlier example) like a Celtic knotwork of arcane glyphs. You have to see and memorize the pattern to target the circle.

Same. I'm reminded of the teleportation rooms used by the magicians on Raymond E. Feist's Kelewan. Milamber's teleportation symbol was described a series of dolphins in a circle.

Same. I'm reminded of the teleportation rooms used by the magicians on Raymond E. Feist's Kelewan. Milamber's teleportation symbol was described a series of dolphins in a circle.

You know, now that you bring that up, I'm shocked I never made that connection myself. The Riftwar series were some of the first fantasy novels I ever read.

Or at least I never made it consciously. On a subconscious level, that may be part of why the idea of teleportation circle sigils-as-letters never even crossed my mind.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, much of my cosmos is set up like Feist's.

And that is a good catch with Milamber's symbol.

Either way is valid. And like [MENTION=1288]Mouseferatu[/MENTION] , my subconcious could have caused me to think of them in a stargate fashion.

I dont have stargates per se, but my "ancient" civilization is very Egyptian flavored.

That and some places refer to it as a sigil sequence, so I think letters/numbers.

Good times folks, thanks for the chat.

Satyrn

First Post
Either way is valid. And like [MENTION=1288]Mouseferatu[/MENTION] , my subconcious could have caused me to think of them in a stargate fashion.

While I immediately, intentionally went to Stargate because I'm addicted to referencing the wrong genres in my D&D.

Anyway, Jester - if he's the DM - is gonna need to answer this question for himself, after he decides how he wants the teleport network to behave.

Remove ads