Celestial Patron Warlock, Blade Pact

Warpiglet

Adventurer
So in the not too distant past, I was working on a character concept here with fellow EnWorlder Ancalagon.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/member.php?23-Ancalagon

As it turns out, a friend is taking a turn DMing and wants point buy instead. My concept thus changed and a new idea came about.

I am thinking about a Celestial Patron/Blade Pact Warlock as a fun departure from my other couple of warlocks...

So I am envisioning a former mercenary veteran who was reasonably honorable, but became involved with a very, very angry angel he now is instructed by.

Here are some parameters:

1. Would like to try to be single classed (possibly one level of divine sorcerer at some point for both theme and variety). But bonus points for single class ideas.

2. Looking variant human (way outside chance half elf or dwarf)

3. Main themes: I am going with a herald/prophet motive. Somewhat like Gandalf...but more into melee solutions.

4. I am going blade pact. For thematic reasons, thinking staff as main weapon and likely polearm master at some point. Not optimal perhaps? but its OK. I imagine the pact weapon changing appearance for different spells and functions. Iron on end looks like fist when smiting, hand open and holds glowing orb when casting light, etc.

5. I am a veteran player but will be playing with a couple of newbs who are typically into MMOs and one of which is historically/epically self-serving in his few RPG plays with us.

GOALS:

1. Want to be durable

2. Want to be as good in melee as possible with one offensive feat allocated (i.e. Polearm Master OR GWM, not both) considering alternatives or open to ideas.

3. Moderately armored considered at some point as is Tough.

4. I want some ability to seek out and find threats. Considering Eldritch Sight vs. level in Divine Soul Sorcerer and possibly Survival. So tight on feats, wondering if ritual caster is possible with priorities on fighting.

5. Eventually want Tomb of Levistus, but at level five will likely be indulging in thirsting blade and eldritch smite. This is my biggest issue. I am one D@#n invocation short of making him what I want with the ability I want for the first tier and part of the second...

What am I asking? I would be interested in hearing about the invocation, spell, skill and feat selections you would recommend for this concept. I will want to survive and may be using my divine healing bonus action primarily on self (since I will be with deadbeats and may be up front more than expected with so-so support).

Can't wait to hear up some ideas and recommendations! The ONLY ONE I really don't want is "just play paladin." It is not what I want to do. The image of a guy in a scale shirt with cloak, hood quarterstaff and arcane things is where I want to go!

Not taking eldritch blast or related invocations. First cantrips likely friends and minor image with the freebies of light and sacred flame...

Last edited:

jmartkdr

First Post
Blade pact warlocks generally have a defense problem: they don't natively have the defenses to get into melee and stay there. If you don't make a point of getting a good defense up, you'll get squished like the lightly-armored full caster you are. You'll need to pick a solution and build to that. Some ideas:

Dex-based weapons mean you can up your attacks and defenses with the same stat. Armor of Shadows becomes pretty good. Also, dual-wielding gives you more chances to use effects like *hex* or Lifedrinker, in addition to the extra AC form the feat when you get that.

Darkness + Devil's Sight solves this as well, since most attacks against you will have disadvantage. (At least until enemies with blindsight show up.) Shadow of Moil does it better at 7th level. May not fit your concept, though.

Armor of Agathys can work - sort of. I find it's too weak both offensively and defensively to make you really a melee guy, but if you move around a lot it can be pretty cool. I'd call it a half-answer: good enough combined with a weaker option somewhere, and a good spell choice if your dm likes using lots of weaker enemies. There's a number of other spells to consider, like blink and mirror image, but with the spell slots you get you really can't count on having two spells going a

Improved Pact Weapon will let you use bows - and one of the best defenses is not being around to get hit.

Mountain dwarves get medium armor proficiency, which is the simplest solution overall. Tortles are a good fit for similar reasons. Obviously VHuman could take the medium armor feat, but that's not a very exciting option.

The easiest and most complete solution, though, is to multiclass. Any melee class will work well enough, though some are more MAD than others. One level of fighter is probably the best, although certain cleric domain options might be better if they fit your character thematically. (Medium armor is good enough, really.) Paladin is good if you're going to get two levels, but one level of paladin is worse than one level of fighter.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Blade pact warlocks generally have a defense problem: they don't natively have the defenses to get into melee and stay there. If you don't make a point of getting a good defense up, you'll get squished like the lightly-armored full caster you are. You'll need to pick a solution and build to that. Some ideas:

Dex-based weapons mean you can up your attacks and defenses with the same stat. Armor of Shadows becomes pretty good. Also, dual-wielding gives you more chances to use effects like *hex* or Lifedrinker, in addition to the extra AC form the feat when you get that.

Darkness + Devil's Sight solves this as well, since most attacks against you will have disadvantage. (At least until enemies with blindsight show up.) Shadow of Moil does it better at 7th level. May not fit your concept, though.

Armor of Agathys can work - sort of. I find it's too weak both offensively and defensively to make you really a melee guy, but if you move around a lot it can be pretty cool. I'd call it a half-answer: good enough combined with a weaker option somewhere, and a good spell choice if your dm likes using lots of weaker enemies. There's a number of other spells to consider, like blink and mirror image, but with the spell slots you get you really can't count on having two spells going a

Improved Pact Weapon will let you use bows - and one of the best defenses is not being around to get hit.

Mountain dwarves get medium armor proficiency, which is the simplest solution overall. Tortles are a good fit for similar reasons. Obviously VHuman could take the medium armor feat, but that's not a very exciting option.

The easiest and most complete solution, though, is to multiclass. Any melee class will work well enough, though some are more MAD than others. One level of fighter is probably the best, although certain cleric domain options might be better if they fit your character thematically. (Medium armor is good enough, really.) Paladin is good if you're going to get two levels, but one level of paladin is worse than one level of fighter.

I think u are right about defense. What are your thoughts about moderately armored? Fiendish vigor? Tomb of levistus?

OK. So I should say that you aren't going to get everything you want. There is no such thing as a single classed celestial Warlock blade pact that uses 2 handed weapons, and is durable. Personally, I would prioritize durable here, which means a multiclass.

Honestly, for straight mechanical effectiveness, normally I would say Fighter 1/Warlock X, then go sword and shield until Shadow of Moil is available, then go GWM with a 2 handed weapon.

Quarterstaff is a limiting weapon. It's not heavy (no GMM) it's not finesse (need to be Str-based) and the damage isn't terrific. However, your concept with the quarterstaff is not impossible, but we need to customize somewhat, and we should expect it might not be the best mechanical option, but with Polearm Master, it's not bad.

You really can't afford more feats. Your top priorities will to be getting your Str to 20, then your Cha to 20. That's 4 ASI's. I might go Str 18 at level 5, Cha 18 at level 9, Str 20 at level 13.

One nice thing about Quarterstaff is that it is a one-handed weapon, which means you can use it with a shield. Polearm master does not require you use the weapon 2 handed, so ultimately, from a mechanical standpoint, I would recommend quarterstaff + shield + polearm master. This means using the quarterstaff one handed, not sure if that's what you envisioned, though you did mention Gandalf who absolutely used his one handed (in conjuction with a sword).

Variant Human (Bonus feat - Polearm Master)
Ability Scores (27 point buy - +1 to Str and Cha)
Str 16, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 16

First level fighter. Grab Chain + shield. Grab Dueling fighting style. This starts you out with +2 damage with a weapon weilded in one hand (quarterstaff), 12 HP, AC of 18, and second wind. 2 attacks per round, 1d6+5 and 1d4+5. +5 to hit.

Then Straight Warlock. Armor of Agathys is pretty obvious. Be aware that Hex uses up bonus actions, both to cast and to move, but if you have the opportunity to set it up it's a great option.

Generally, I recommend getting Agonizing Blast and Eldritch Blast anyways. This gives you a viable ranged option, which adds versatility to the build.

I normally would not recommend Darkness + Devil's sight unless for some reason you are playing solo or with other Warlocks and Shadow Sorcerers. It's not party-friendly.

Invocations as I would select them:
Lvl 2: Agonizing Blast
Lvl 2: Misty Visions
Lvl 3: Trade out Misty Visions for Improved Pact Weapon
Lvl 5: Thirsting Blade, trade Agonizing Blast for Cloak of Flies (re-skin this one! Maybe cloak of celestial light?)
Lvl 7: Eldritch Smite (Use sparingly, those pact spells do not last long. That said, when you score a crit, this can add TONS of damage)
Lvl 9: Ascendant Step is lovely. Also, assuming you have a magic weapon by now, Improved Pact Weapon can likely be switched out. Get Agonizing blast back.
Lvl 12: Lifedrinker. Obviouisly

P.S. = edit: I also would normally like the idea of a Cleric as the one level dip. 2 extra spell slots for Searing Smites, and the +1 bonus from Forge Domain? Yes please. However, you will find the 13 Wis multiclass requirement to be crippling.

Last edited:

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
For Strength based (for Quarterstaff) simple proficient weapon proficient builds

Human variant with Moderately Armored Feat (medium armor, shields, +1 strength or Dexterity) which allows you to use a staff and shield for another +2AC
(Scale mail 14, +2 dex, +2 shield (+ 6 lbs) = AC18 with 1d6+3 quarterstaff --or-- Scale mail 14, +2 dex = AC16 with 1d8+3 versatile quarterstaff)
Str:16 Dex:14 Con:14 Int:8 Wis:9 Cha:14 (you can switch Int and Wiz but it doesn't really matter unless you a feat you want and might take that adds +1 to one of those)
-or-
Mountain Dwarf (Medium Armor, Warhammer, and Battle-axe Proficiency)
(Scale mail 14, +2 dex = AC16 with 1d8+3 versatile quarterstaff...or...Scale mail 14, +2 dex = AC16 with 1d10+3 versatile Warhammer (Because its 2lbs lighter than the battle-axe and quarterstaff)
Str:17 Dex:14 Con:14 Int:8 Wis:8 Cha:14 (The extra point in strength will increase your carry capacity to help off set the 10lbs of the added weight from medium armor)

Of the 2 Human has a better defense (also its what you asked for) and Mountain Dwarf better offense and carrying capacity but would be better off using a Dwarven Warhammer than a staff. However, if you pick up Polearm master at level 4 giving you something to do with your bonus action after casting hex, then your getting potentially (1d6+3)(1d4)(2d6hex) or (1d8+3)(1d4)(2d6hex) then the Warhammer is not a good choice.

For Dexterity build consideration

Human variant with Defensive Duelist (+2 scaling to +6 to AC as a reaction, Like shield without spell slot which is key for a warlock but it doesn't last beyond one attack)
(Studded Leather 12, +3 dex = AC15 (17 for one attack per round if needed) with 1d4+3 dagger 1d4 off hand dagger +2d6 hex?
Str:10 Dex:16 Con:16 Int:8 Wis:8 Cha:14 <--Higher HP than the above builds -or- switch Cha & Con.
- Upgrade the main hand weapon to a shortsword, scimitar, rapier, or get this... Whip with reach... since your proficient with your pact weapon and its finesse. If you do this stay 20ft from allies so that enemies have to leave your treat to engage allies. This doesn't help after you trigger Defensive Duelist but sometimes your GM will forget you used it and stay to prevent opportunity attacks, but also defensive duelist triggers ON HIT so its never wasted on misses, AND more importantly you make a larger area for opportunity attacks so enemies need to make bigger circles to avoid you and head for allies. Not a bad option for a tank. Consider Sentinel with this build since anyone trying to skirt by in whip reach will be stopped in place if hit. This means reactions are at a premium and bonus actions for the dagger off hand attack. That is not a bad thing because many players waste reactions and bonus actions you will be using them constantly.
- take Duel weilder at level 4 for +1 AC, Base AC16 Defensive duelist AC19
- Defensive Duelist, At character lvl5 is +3(AC18), lvl9 is +4(AC19), lvl13 is +5(AC20), and lvl17 +6(AC21) making it not as good a shield but scalable so it should never be useless.

Last edited:

First I should say a few things:
A) I don't natively attempt high optimization. I'm much better at noticing serious weaknesses than figuring out how to squeeze every bit of value out of things.
B) Multiclassing with class Y isn't an answer to how to build a good class X for me. I won't even consider it.
C) Concept is important to me, so I won't recommend dump stats unless they fit your concept.

That being said, here are my suggestions.
1) Polearm Master is the feat you need. It's the only single class way to make Blade Pact not suck so badly. It allows you a third attack that you will eventually be adding 2 ability modifiers to.
2) This leaves you with an AC problem, since you Need Charisma and Strength, but your AC could use some Dex. Take Moderately Armored. Depending on how you are assigning your stats, I might suggest taking Dex to 14, and only taking Cha and Str to 18. In any event, the idea of using a Shield with Polearm Master is interesting. Would your DM let you flavor a shield as some sort of bracer/vambrace instead of a board you are holding up? That's what I would request, because I hate the idea of staff + shield from an aesthetic standpoint. If you could do that, you could end up with an AC of 19, which is pretty nice. Less if you can't afford the Dex, but even 17 is decent. If you can't get the shield, you'll have to spend the Dex.
3) You are variant human, so you have four feats left. If you want Ritual Caster you can afford it, but the rest should go into ability scores.
4) You want both of the Blade Pact invocations from the PHB. If Xanathar's is in play, you might want some from there also.
5) Hex can be less effective than just using your bonus action to make an attack in a short fight (ie, most of them). You might favor Armor of Agathys --especially if you don't increase Dex--the better your AC, the less useful this spell becomes. Or just pick non-buffing offensive spells. Cast those when needed and hit with the staff the rest of the time.
4) Don't take Agonizing Blast. Pretend it doesn't exist, as its existence is the only reason Blade Pact has problems in the first place. Your free sacred flame with Cha boost is all you need as a melee combatant.

Beyond that, you can pretty much take whatever spells and invocations fit your concept. Unless you are in a party with super-optimizers or a killer DM, you should be able to effectively play your character the way you want.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
As other have said do what you like and enjoy. I am just posting ideas.

Some people have an issue fluff wise with the shield and staff compatibility "problem" I see two fluff solutions options along with it being possible to actually wield a staff and shield with some success in real life.
1. The shield is a Long Kite shield with a stand at the bottom so you pivot around it while you fight like dancing around a pole or small wall that you can move to some degree.
2. The shield is a round shield that uses your staff as a handle so its never in the way because the move together. Though technically that would mean your using two hands for your staff its countered by the weight of the shield reducing you back to the 1d6 in order to use the shield and staff at the same time "both" two handed.

Fiendish vigor - Remember your not using a spell slot, your casting it at level 1. So at level 2 when you can get its ok, but at level 3 Armor of Agathys is better and at level 10 your getting Celestial Resilience and nether stack so... I don't recommend it.

Tomb of Leviticus - up front looks like a "tank" ability but its only really good if your not the tank of your group and your about to die due to "you are incapacitated" + "melts away at the end of your next turn" Don't get my wrong its a great "o"crap I'm gonna die" save ability but if your the one holding the line its usually best to do more damage in a hope to not have to use it in the first place and so enemies stand and fight you another round instead of running past you and killing your friends. If you have at least one other High AC ally to stand next to though that's no longer and issue. I would still recommend prioritizing melee combat damage you will use every round instead of the o'crap don't die button you might not need it you do enough damage. If you find you need a place holder or your have some free invocation space through it in there but Pact of the Blade is not short on combat invocations.

My Invocation suggestions:
Spells lvl 1: Armor of Agathys and I personally prefer Protection from Evil and Good... because at level 1 I am afraid of a ghost.

Spells lvl 2: Expeditious Retreat (I would use this to close with long range enemies while casting bane at low level, might trade off later)
lvl 2: Mask of Many Faces (So you can look like enemy patrols and surprise attack at point blank and its just good fun... Understandable if its not the style your looking for)
lvl 2: Armor of Shadows (if you go with Polearm master at level 1, maybe re-skin as Armor of Light) or Thief of Five Fates (if you take the Moderately Armored, Cast Bane with a warlock slot once per long rest, its concentration but its arguably better to have the added defense for you and the party until you get the ability to do more hits to trigger hex with using Polearm master at level 4 and Thirsty blade at level 5)
Note: I recommend against Devil's Sight and darkness as a melee character because it will also blind allies trying to attack the same target. It is really best to use this tactic on your self at ranged. However, it your the only one in your group without darkvision maybe grab it instead of Mask of many faces so your not the beckon of light when everyone else is trying to sneak up... or maybe light that torch and have your friends sneak 30ft away... )

Spells lvl 3: trade Expeditious Retreat for misty step for closing and escaping, then take hold person
lvl 3: Trade out Mask of Many Faces for Improved Pact Weapon

Spells lvl 4: Hex now that your sure to have polearm master and your only a level away from having polearm master and m
lvl 4: Polearm master or Moderately Armored which ever you did not take before.

Spells lvl 5: trade Protection from Evil and step back to level 2 spells for Invisibility (to get in close like getting Mask of Many Faces back in a way...or let a friend sneak around on your concentration) because at level 5 I am less afraid of ghosts, then take Thunderstep to close with enemies or shift to new enemies while leaving the old ones dead or in pain both while taking a friend with you.
lvl 5: Thirsting Blade, trade Armor of Shadows or Thief of Five Fates for Eldritch Smite

Spells lvl 6: Fly for air melee (dangerous but better than sitting and twiddling your thumbs while the range player fight) or to help move the party before taking a rest. Also, you could thunder step on to a dragons back then if you fall off you could cast Fly to catch yourself on the way down if its high enough to be afraid.

Spells lvl 7: Shadow of Moil is the obvious choice here... but it is used in battle and concentration and your planning to be in the thick of it... I suggest Hallucinatory Terrain, cast then rest getting your spell slot back and protecting the group to some degree.
lvl 7: I would actually grab Mask of Many Faces back just because its a concentration way of getting in close to start a fight, sneak past if you don't want to fight, and because its just plain fun.

Spells lvl 8: Would likely step back to level 3 spells and get Magic Circle so ghosts and vampires can be afraid of me and my whole party instead.

Spells lvl 9: upgrade hold person to Hold Monster because it works on all creatures including humanoids, Then take Synaptic Static...I know your melee and you might not want this but its a non-concentration opener to a group of enemies that lowers their attack roles by 1d6 and does good damage. Its a really good, "oh good their back up just arrived... give me a second to kill them all and I will be right back to help you finish this guy." or "I was going to teleport in but when I realized your all melee and would need to get a bit closer... I just started laughing my...err....but off"
lvl 9: I prefer Maddening Hex to Cloak of flies because Maddening hex does not risk hurting allies, but this would be a good time to get Tomb of Leviticus if your so inclined.

I am not really going to worry about anything past here but life drinker. All key points met, your just looking for the best character flavor and party fun options at this point. So have fun and try crazy thinks that just might work... lol.

lvl 12: Lifedrinker

Warpiglet

Adventurer
As other have said do what you like and enjoy. I am just posting ideas.

Some people have an issue fluff wise with the shield and staff compatibility "problem" I see two fluff solutions options along with it being possible to actually wield a staff and shield with some success in real life.
1. The shield is a Long Kite shield with a stand at the bottom so you pivot around it while you fight like dancing around a pole or small wall that you can move to some degree.
2. The shield is a round shield that uses your staff as a handle so its never in the way because the move together. Though technically that would mean your using two hands for your staff its countered by the weight of the shield reducing you back to the 1d6 in order to use the shield and staff at the same time "both" two handed.

Fiendish vigor - Remember your not using a spell slot, your casting it at level 1. So at level 2 when you can get its ok, but at level 3 Armor of Agathys is better and at level 10 your getting Celestial Resilience and nether stack so... I don't recommend it.

Tomb of Leviticus - up front looks like a "tank" ability but its only really good if your not the tank of your group and your about to die due to "you are incapacitated" + "melts away at the end of your next turn" Don't get my wrong its a great "o"crap I'm gonna die" save ability but if your the one holding the line its usually best to do more damage in a hope to not have to use it in the first place and so enemies stand and fight you another round instead of running past you and killing your friends. If you have at least one other High AC ally to stand next to though that's no longer and issue. I would still recommend prioritizing melee combat damage you will use every round instead of the o'crap don't die button you might not need it you do enough damage. If you find you need a place holder or your have some free invocation space through it in there but Pact of the Blade is not short on combat invocations.

My Invocation suggestions:
Spells lvl 1: Armor of Agathys and I personally prefer Protection from Evil and Good... because at level 1 I am afraid of a ghost.

Spells lvl 2: Expeditious Retreat (I would use this to close with long range enemies while casting bane at low level, might trade off later)
lvl 2: Mask of Many Faces (So you can look like enemy patrols and surprise attack at point blank and its just good fun... Understandable if its not the style your looking for)
lvl 2: Armor of Shadows (if you go with Polearm master at level 1, maybe re-skin as Armor of Light) or Thief of Five Fates (if you take the Moderately Armored, Cast Bane with a warlock slot once per long rest, its concentration but its arguably better to have the added defense for you and the party until you get the ability to do more hits to trigger hex with using Polearm master at level 4 and Thirsty blade at level 5)
Note: I recommend against Devil's Sight and darkness as a melee character because it will also blind allies trying to attack the same target. It is really best to use this tactic on your self at ranged. However, it your the only one in your group without darkvision maybe grab it instead of Mask of many faces so your not the beckon of light when everyone else is trying to sneak up... or maybe light that torch and have your friends sneak 30ft away... )

Spells lvl 3: trade Expeditious Retreat for misty step for closing and escaping, then take hold person
lvl 3: Trade out Mask of Many Faces for Improved Pact Weapon

Spells lvl 4: Hex now that your sure to have polearm master and your only a level away from having polearm master and m
lvl 4: Polearm master or Moderately Armored which ever you did not take before.

Spells lvl 5: trade Protection from Evil and step back to level 2 spells for Invisibility (to get in close like getting Mask of Many Faces back in a way...or let a friend sneak around on your concentration) because at level 5 I am less afraid of ghosts, then take Thunderstep to close with enemies or shift to new enemies while leaving the old ones dead or in pain both while taking a friend with you.
lvl 5: Thirsting Blade, trade Armor of Shadows or Thief of Five Fates for Eldritch Smite

Spells lvl 6: Fly for air melee (dangerous but better than sitting and twiddling your thumbs while the range player fight) or to help move the party before taking a rest. Also, you could thunder step on to a dragons back then if you fall off you could cast Fly to catch yourself on the way down if its high enough to be afraid.

Spells lvl 7: Shadow of Moil is the obvious choice here... but it is used in battle and concentration and your planning to be in the thick of it... I suggest Hallucinatory Terrain, cast then rest getting your spell slot back and protecting the group to some degree.
lvl 7: I would actually grab Mask of Many Faces back just because its a concentration way of getting in close to start a fight, sneak past if you don't want to fight, and because its just plain fun.

Spells lvl 8: Would likely step back to level 3 spells and get Magic Circle so ghosts and vampires can be afraid of me and my whole party instead.

Spells lvl 9: upgrade hold person to Hold Monster because it works on all creatures including humanoids, Then take Synaptic Static...I know your melee and you might not want this but its a non-concentration opener to a group of enemies that lowers their attack roles by 1d6 and does good damage. Its a really good, "oh good their back up just arrived... give me a second to kill them all and I will be right back to help you finish this guy." or "I was going to teleport in but when I realized your all melee and would need to get a bit closer... I just started laughing my...err....but off"
lvl 9: I prefer Maddening Hex to Cloak of flies because Maddening hex does not risk hurting allies, but this would be a good time to get Tomb of Leviticus if your so inclined.

I am not really going to worry about anything past here but life drinker. All key points met, your just looking for the best character flavor and party fun options at this point. So have fun and try crazy thinks that just might work... lol.

lvl 12: Lifedrinker

Your feedback and suggestions sound good, spell and invocation selection in particular.

I did have one idea which I hope is not cheesy. If I see the character as a herald/prophet, one level of bard might not be too much of a stretch perhaps. I am really thinking about this. Here, I could take disguise self and the equivalent of misty visions. Likewise, I could take detect magic and comprehend languages and cast them as rituals.

The shield and staff do sort of bother me. And quarterstaff is largely a flavor choice with polearm master later to make him able to fight as I am ignoring (likely) eldritch blast entirely. I want to be an ambassador social skill master who can really fight when all else fails.

I agree with you on invocations but might take fiendish (angelic!) vigor for a couple early levels only. I loses its appeal later I agree.

I am staying away from devils sight and darkness primarily for thematic reasons and resources are limited afterall too. I want to use light and later daylight if I must!

I think my biggest struggle now after seeing everyone's suggestions is the whole armor class and hit point issue. Really thinking about moderately armored level one but with a staff, no shield and questionable dexterity this is an issue. That is why I really thought hard about tomb of levistus. A shield spell could be good, and a level of divine sorcerer would be thematic, but then I am struggling to get utility spells.

Bottom line: I like the theme but it is hard hard hard to do something other than EB spam without losing most utility. As it is, there are not enough melee centric invocations!

Its a hard row to hoe.

Remove ads