DnD Sports Changes Name To RPG Sports

Earlier this week, I posted about DnD Sports, an upcoming competitive streaming D&D "e-sports" tournament run by D&D Beyond and Encounter Roleplaying, using the Roll20 platform, complete with large cash prizes. As of today, the name of the tournament has been changed to RPG Sports, and dndsports.tv now redirects to rpgsports.tv.

Earlier this week, I posted about DnD Sports, an upcoming competitive streaming D&D "e-sports" tournament run by D&D Beyond and Encounter Roleplaying, using the Roll20 platform, complete with large cash prizes. As of today, the name of the tournament has been changed to RPG Sports, and dndsports.tv now redirects to rpgsports.tv.

rpgsports.png

They state that this is a rebranding in order to expand the scope of the tournament beyond D&D. The tournament wasn't anything to do with WotC, as Nathan Stewart made clear: "This is not something [WotC] is driving. One of the keys to our current success is giving the community tools to do what they want and trusting them. Different styles for different folks."

RPGSports explained the change:

"We’ve heard a lot of great feedback, but one thing we weren’t expecting was SO much interest for us to expand outside of just Dungeons & Dragons! Therefore, we’ve decided to broaden our approach and become RPGSports!

We have a new Twitch channel here!

This wider umbrella means that we can position ourselves to easily collaborate with other tabletop games. What other tabletop games would you like to see in a competitive style in the future?

Of course, in other ways this doesn’t change too much. The first RPGSports tournament this November will still be played using the Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition rules. We noticed some confusion online, and so wanted to take this opportunity to clarify that this is an EncounterRoleplay production. While D&DBeyond are sponsoring this tournament, Wizards of the Coast are not affiliated with RPGSports.

We’re excited to start releasing more information on rules, to announce the star-studded teams, and to tell you how you can get involved in RPGSports!

Thanks for sticking with us while this exciting project continues to expand and grow."

Both D&D Beyond and Roll20 are licensees of D&D from WotC.

Reynard

Legend
I certainly think competitive D&D has a place, as both an active and spectator activity. A GM collective of which I am a part are planning an event for next February's TotalCon in Marlborough MA, in fact. I have no doubt we will fill our player seats and have more than a few hangers-around watching the proceedings.

That said, what I would really like to see this as asymmetrical competetion between players and DMs. 5E is certainly not the right rule set for that -- the rules are too loose; a pathfinder or similarly exact game would be better -- but it would be fun to give DMs tools to build mini adventures and have player teams have to navigate them. You'd have a big bracket based on scores and eventually the top player team would compete against the top DM. It's be fun.

I smell a feel good sports movie...

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I smell a feel good sports movie...

Cotton: "Yes...no..I... I'm being told that the Tuckers Kobolds doesn't have anyone above 0 hit points and will be forfeiting the rest of match".

Pepper: "It's a bold strategy Cotton, lets see if it pays of for 'em".

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Having to make such a sudden course correction begs the question: what where they thinking?

I am interested in knowing what they ARE thinking. Everything seems so half-baked, it seems like they haven't put even ten minutes of thought into this.

I'm surprised DnDBeyond are involved. They seem to be on top of things, and this is all but that.

/M

Retreater

Legend
This whole thing encapsulates the worst directions of the hobby, in my opinion: D&D Beyond and Roll 20 together? Ack!
The only thing that would make me dislike it more would be a partnership with Critical Role.

Reynard

Legend
This whole thing encapsulates the worst directions of the hobby, in my opinion: D&D Beyond and Roll 20 together? Ack!
The only thing that would make me dislike it more would be a partnership with Critical Role.
Why do you think tools that make it easier for people to play the game are the "worst directions of the hobby"?

Retreater

Legend
Why do you think tools that make it easier for people to play the game are the "worst directions of the hobby"?

Just my opinions. I think D&D Beyond is an over-priced mess that slows down the game. I've never had a player use it at the table that didn't take 5 minutes to look up a spell.

And Roll20 - just search YouTube for the recent controversy. Not getting into it on here, but I will never support a company with those business practices. In fact, it sort of makes this entire enterprise questionable, and I would prefer if WotC pulled their license.

While I certainly want it to be successful, I can’t help but think of the XFL, WWE’s short-lived football foray.

Balancing entertainment with competitive play in gaming is going to be no small task. Like, I’ve played at tables with super-competitive folks, and it’s just not fun for me. I had more fun at the one D&D Open where everyone at the table died, but we were laughing and loving every moment of it.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I've never had a player use it at the table that didn't take 5 minutes to look up a spell.

Well, that's a problem with your players, not the system, isn't it? Either they need to learn how to speed up their Search function use, or they should just write or print out their spells from it onto sheets like most other players do. You can't blame D&D Beyond for your player's inadequacies. ;)

Retreater

Legend
Well, that's a problem with your players, not the system, isn't it? Either they need to learn how to speed up their Search function use, or they should just write or print out their spells from it onto sheets like most other players do. You can't blame D&D Beyond for your player's inadequacies. ;)

When it's suggested to write or print out your character's abilities from an online tool, that seems to indicate to me that it's not a good tool.

Remove ads

Remove ads