Ridding Elves and Half-Elves of Darkvision

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I thobk what seems to hapoen a lot is a lot of handwaving.

The math on torches (and,oil lamps) etc goes nuclear when,you start looking at wanting a lighted camp that is not a sitting duck.

For that you need a dsrk center ringed by external lights that reveals the enemy on approach while leaving you in an interior unlit zone.. I did the math for that, oils per lamp/lantern per night per week (torches worse) and barring getting handed the right items as magic items it gets prohibitive to spend a couple weeks in the field without bags of holding.

The problem with light cantrip is only one per caster. So no way to have that many surrounding your camp.

Sure, with ready supply of gems you can get CF until somebody's 2nd level darkness spell snuffs them all out and you gotta go get the gems and do it all over.

Torches on tripods with reflective backing to shine the light directionally. DnD ignores the smokeyness of torches, so no worries about the surface getting sooty.

5ekyu

Hero
Torches on tripods with reflective backing to shine the light directionally. DnD ignores the smokeyness of torches, so no worries about the surface getting sooty.
Each torch lasts an hour, right? Weighs a pound. Lets say six to surround camp, say with watch twelve hour camp, 72 pounds of torches a day... 48 pounds if you go 8 hours only lit... Times a week on the road.

CapnZapp

Legend
Plus: Don't tell me Owls (and Elves) can't see beyond 60 ft at night.

Ergo: Switching forest animals over to Darkvision is absurd and doesn't work, and the best solution is to revert them to the rule that has been working for decades without a hitch: low-light vision (or even "nightvision" for the grognards).

delericho

Legend
This is what I am fixing by reverting the ill-advised change that never before 5E was D&D, and returning elves to low-light vision :)

Nitpick: it's not "never before 5e". Back in 1st and 2nd ed, elves had exactly the same infravision as dwarves. What 5e is doing is not new; it's a reversion back to the way Gygax wrote it.

(On the larger topic, I've already stated my preference. So I'll not get further involved in that one. :) )

CapnZapp

Legend
Nitpick: it's not "never before 5e". Back in 1st and 2nd ed, elves had exactly the same infravision as dwarves. What 5e is doing is not new; it's a reversion back to the way Gygax wrote it.
Except, of course - and by nitpicking you already knew this was coming - infravision and darkvision are far from the same thing, so, no, it really is "never before 5E" :)

Thankfully, nobody is (hopefully) seriously arguing we should go back to 1E vision :)

Anyway, what 5E did was to "simplify" vision. Both compared to 3E and 1E.

Unfortunately, they threw out the baby with the bathwater and I recommend everyone to revert to, not the 1E but the 3E vision :)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Except, of course - and by nitpicking you already knew this was coming - infravision and darkvision are far from the same thing, so, no, it really is "never before 5E" :)

Thankfully, nobody is (hopefully) seriously arguing we should go back to 1E vision :)

Anyway, what 5E did was to "simplify" vision. Both compared to 3E and 1E.

Unfortunately, they threw out the baby with the bathwater and I recommend everyone to revert to, not the 1E but the 3E vision :)
I wouldn’t do exactly the 3e version. 3e low-light vision is sorta clunky and hard to use, at least for 5e. I’d revert back to the darkvision/low-light vision split, but simplify low-light vision. I’d go with the 4e version, where creatures with low-light vision can just see without penalty in dim light.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Each torch lasts an hour, right? Weighs a pound. Lets say six to surround camp, say with watch twelve hour camp, 72 pounds of torches a day... 48 pounds if you go 8 hours only lit... Times a week on the road.

Plus: Don't tell me Owls (and Elves) can't see beyond 60 ft at night.

Ergo: Switching forest animals over to Darkvision is absurd and doesn't work, and the best solution is to revert them to the rule that has been working for decades without a hitch: low-light vision (or even "nightvision" for the grognards).

Or close enough as to be effectively the same thing.

IMO, the only thing wrong with 5e Darkvision is that the Dim Light part doesn't extend as far as you can see.The limit on seeing in darkness to a certain range is fine with me, but it should be (the more natural reading of the text) that you see in dim light clearly, and within 60ft you see in Darkness like it's Dim Light.

And then Superior Dark vision simply lets you treat all darkness as dim light. Torches are still nice, but the races that shouldn't need them don't, and you don't have wierdness with nocturnal creatures being more visually restricted than in real life.

I'd never go back to 3.5 vision, though.

CapnZapp

Legend
Thank you for acknowledging 5E vision doesn't work and needs to go away.

What names you then use for low-light vision and the exact specifics is none of my business :)

5ekyu

Hero
Thank you for acknowledging 5E vision doesn't work and needs to go away.

What names you then use for low-light vision and the exact specifics is none of my business :)

maybe that wasn't toward me but... i do not have a problem with 5e vision, i have a problem with how 5e defines normal outdoors at night darkness as so severe that it makes common tropes like nocturnal hunters, travel/sentry by moonlight and camping outdoors practically no longer viable.

The error to me was not dropping low light, infravision, ultravision, cantelope vision, rose colored glasses vision and whatever other visions existed in the decades we have had - but in not having what would be effectively "dim light" cover normal nighttime lighting and leave the current "blinded" equivalent cover more extreme "worse than that" cases.

Remove ads