Which Faerun setting guide?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Hi everyone, my birthday is coming soon and people ask me for some gift idea. I recently decided that I want to own a Forgotten Realm setting book to add to my collection that I could share with my players.
It seems that there's a lot of options form across all edition but I would like a more or less edition neutral one with more lore and less player options that I wouldnt use in the end. I saw a lot of them at 75$+ on Amazon.ca, so if it could be only one tome instead of many that'd be great.

Does anyone have a favorite when it comes to Realms lore? What would be the best one to own for a DM who dont care much for the canon but like the general idea of the Realms?

Laurefindel

Legend
The 3.0 campaign setting is as complete as a setting book will ever get.
Otherwise, my old favourites are the AD&D 2e “The North” boxset, and the “Unaproachable East” from 3.5

Tales and Chronicles

Tales and Chronicles

It's available on DMs Guild as a pdf for a more reasonable price.

I think I'll wait and hope for an eventual Print on Demand option.

For now I own SKT and the SCAG, which are good source of info for the Sword Coast and the North. I'll try to get my hands on a print version of Murder in Baldur Gate and Legacy of the Crystal Shard to have some stuff of those specific regions.

Irennan

Explorer
3e FRCS + SCAG to see what's changed, and Elminster's Forgotten Realms for additional, edition-neutral lore. The 3e guide is closer to 5e than the 4e one is anyway.

Remove ads