Gunslinger (first draft)

the Jester

Legend
GUNSLINGER PARAGON PATHS
Gunslingers, as rangers, are eligible for those ranger paragon paths that don't require class features that the gunslinger lacks (see, especially, the pistoleer paragon path in the Player's Guide to Cydra). In addition, there are a number of specialized paragon paths for gunslingers.

Fire Gunner

“It's all in how you pack the powder.”
Prerequisites: Gunslinger, sunpowder burst class feature

You love fire. Sunpowder is a wonderful way to create fire- and you know how to pack it to best effect.

Fire Gunner Path Features

Fiery Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to make an attack, the attack deals an extra 1d10 fire damage on a hit.
Pyromaniac's Joy (11th level): Whenever you deal fire damage to a creature, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom bonus.
Burning Powder (16th level): Whenever you hit with a weapon attack using a sunpowder weapon, you may choose to deal fire damage instead of all other types of damage normally dealt.

Fire Gunner Path Exploits

Improved Sunpowder Burst --- Fire Gunner Attack 11
When your sunpowder burst explodes, it is somewhat more incendiary than a typical gunslinger's.
Encounter --- Fire, Martial
No Action --- Personal
Trigger: You use sunpowder burst.
Effect: The target also takes ongoing 10 fire damage (save ends), and each creature adjacent to the target takes ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).

Pyromaniac's Ecstasy --- Fire Gunner Utility 12
Even though the flames burn you, you are filled with ecstasy and renewed power.
Encounter --- Martial
Immediate Reaction --- Personal
Trigger: You take fire damage.
Effect: You gain temporary hit points equal to the fire damage you took.

Greater Sunpowder Burst --- Fire Gunner Attack 20
Your sunpowder burst triggers a secondary, far more dramatic, explosion.
Encounter --- Fire, Martial
Trigger: You use sunpowder burst.
No Action --- Close burst 2 centered on the target of your sunpowder burst
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex.
Hit: 4d8 fire damage.
Miss: Half damage.

Gun Hunter

“Look at her. She's a beauty.
Prerequisites: Gunslinger

Not all gunslingers want to be warriors. Some prefer to focus on the hunt, whether seeking to feed their community or trying to take trophies from exotic beasts. You are one of these gun hunters, able to defend yourself and willing to fight enemies when they come to you, but preferring to use your talents against less intelligent foes when you have the choice.

Gun Hunter Path Features

Hunter's Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, you can also shift a number of squares equal to your Wisdom bonus before or after the extra action, and if you end this shift in total cover or total concealment, you can make a Stealth check to hide.
Hunter's Training (11th level): You gain training in one of the following skills: Endurance, Nature, Perception or Stealth.
Seek the Glorious Trophy (16th level): You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls against Large or bigger creatures.

Gun Hunter Path Exploits

Hunter's Shot --- Gun Hunter Attack 11
The bigger the target, the better.
Encounter --- Martial, Weapon
Standard Action --- Ranged weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a sunpowder weapon.
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC.
Hit: 2 [W] + Dexterity modifier damage. If the target is Large or Huge, deal 1 [W] extra damage; if the target is Gargantuan, instead deal 2 [W] extra damage.

Hunter's Mark --- Gun Hunter Utility 12
You catch your opponent's notice, silently informing it that it has caught yours.
At Will --- Martial
Minor Action --- Close burst 20
Effect: You mark one creature in the burst that can see you until the end of your next turn.

Take the Trophy --- Gun Hunter Attack 20
When your foe starts to slow from its wounds, it is time to finish it.
Daily --- Martial, Weapon
Target: One bloodied creature.
Attack: Dexterity vs. Fortitude.
Hit: 5 [W] + Dexterity modifier damage.

the Jester

Legend
High Noon Duelist

“It's time. Only one of us is going to walk away.”

You've always fancied the image of the duelist, and gunslinging orcs have had pistol duels for centuries. Why can't you? Indeed, although sometimes calling what you do in battle a “duel” is nothing more than an affectation, you can think of it no other way.

High Noon Duelist Path Features

Duel (11th level): You gain the duel feature.

Duel --- High Noon Duelist Feature
You and one chosen enemy- that's all that exists.
At Will --- Martial
Minor Action --- Close burst 20
Effect: You choose one enemy as your enemy in a duel. As long as you are conscious and visible, you do not use this power on another creature and none of your allies attack the target, it is marked by you. If any of the target's allies attack you, you gain a +2 bonus to your next attack roll against the target before the end of your next turn.

High Noon Duel (11th level): If you spend your action point to make a gunslinger or high noon duelist attack against the target of your duel, after your extra action, you may choose to allow the target to make a ranged basic attack against you. If it does, you may make a ranged basic attack against it. This sequence continues until one or the other of you declines to make a ranged attack.

Duelist's Deadliness (16th level): When you make a ranged weapon attack with a sunpowder weapon against the target of your duel, your critical range expands by 1.

High Noon Duelist Path Exploits

Seek the Weakness --- High Noon Duelist Attack 11
You try to anticipate the target's defenses, shooting to exploit any weakness you see.
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC, Fortitude and Reflex, one attack.
Hit: 2 [W] + Dexterity modifier damage. The attack hits if it hits any of the targeted defenses.

Standoff --- High Noon Duelist Utility 12
When an enemy is about to attack, you threaten simultaneous retaliation.
Daily --- Martial
Free Action - Interrupt --- Personal
Trigger: An enemy within 5 squares makes a ranged attack.
Effect: The triggering enemy does not make its attack and loses the triggering action (but not the triggering attack).

High Noon --- High Noon Duelist Attack 20
It is time to end your duel.
Daily --- Martial, Weapon
Target: The target of your duel
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
Hit: 4 [W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and until it is no longer the target of your duel, whenever it makes an attack that does not include you as a target, you may make a ranged basic attack against it as an immediate reaction.

Sacred Rifleman

“You misunderstand- the sunpowder, and the god from whom it comes, are the important part, not the weapons.”

Sunpowder comes, ultimately, from a divine source. Many gunslingers forget that, but you do not, not ever. It is important to keep that divine connection in mind. You honor the old, lost god Galador, who brought the Sun to ignition long ago. Few still follow him, but he has graced you with some of his waning power.

Although this paragon path is called the sacred rifleman, there are also sacred pistoleers.

Sacred Rifleman Path Features

Faith (11th level): You gain a +1 bonus to your Will defense.
Radiant Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, until the end of your next turn, each creature hit by an attack from your sunpowder weapons takes extra radiant damage equal to your Wisdom bonus.
Walk in the Light (16th level): You gain resist 15 radiant.

Sacred Rifleman Prayers

Sacred Bullet --- Sacred Rifleman Attack 11
You fire at the target, knowing that your god is on your side and will help you pass through your foe's armor.
Encounter --- Divine, Radiant, Weapon
Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 2 [W] + Dexterity modifier radiant damage.

Healing Powder --- Sacred Rifleman Utility 12
With a fervant prayer, you unlock the holy power of sunpowder.
Encounter --- Divine, Healing
Minor Action --- Melee touch
Target: You or one ally
Effect: Spend 3 charges of sunpowder, and the target can spend a healing surge.

Guns for Galador --- Sacred Rifleman Attack 20
Sure of your divine mission, you let your guns blaze with holy powder as you unleash a storm of bullets.
Daily --- Divine, Radiant, Weapon
Target: One creature, two or three creatures
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC, three attacks
Hit: 2 [W] + Dexterity radiant modifier damage per attack.
Miss: Half damage (each attack).
Effect: You reload after each shot.

the Jester

Legend
Sunpowder Sniper

“....”
Prerequisites: Gunslinger, trained in Stealth

Many gunslingers have a flair for the dramatic, but you are a different sort entirely. You prefer to hang back, striking silently from the shadows, never even letting your foe know you are there until it is too late.

Sunpowder Sniper Path Features

Instinct for Camouflage (11th level): You gain a +3 bonus on Stealth checks.
Sniper's Action (11th level): Instead of spending an action point to take an extra action, you can spend it when you make a ranged attack with a sunpowder weapon at long range while you are hidden from the target. If you do so, you increase the attack's critical range by 3 and increase the severity of any resulting critical by +1d10. If the attack misses, you remain hidden and regain the action point.
Sniper's Movement (16th level): If you are hidden from a creature and you move to another location from which you have total cover or concealment in a single move action, you may make a Stealth check to remain hidden, as if you had not broken cover or concealment.

Sunpowder Sniper Exploits

Sniper Shot --- Sunpowder Sniper Attack 11
When the target doesn't know it's coming, you can hit it hard.
Target: One creature that you have combat advantage against
Attack: Dexterity vs. AC.
Hit: 3 [W] + Dexterity modifier damage.

Sudden Disappearance --- Sunpowder Sniper Utility 12
You excel at seeming to vanish.
Daily --- Martial
Minor Action --- Personal
Requirement: You must have concealment.
Effect: You become invisible until the end of your turn.

Hidden Doom --- Sunpowder Sniper Attack 20
From hiding, you are at your deadliest, dealing death to your enemies in gruesome fashion.
Daily --- Martial, Stance
Minor Action --- Ranged weapon
Effect: While you have combat advantage, you increase your critical range with sunpowder weapons by 1 and your critical severity by +1d8.

Terror Gunner

“You ever seen the kind of wounds that sunpowder weapons leave?”
Prerequisites: Gunslinger, trained in Intimidate

Fear. It is fear that is the greatest weapon a person can wield- fear that pushes foes to give up the fight without even striking a blow, fear that allows a ruler to rule, fear that holds the world's fragile order together. You have learned to use fear- to use it to reduce your enemies to blubbering babies pissing themselves.

Terror Gunner Path Features

Frightful Presence (11th level): While you are conscious, adjacent lower-level enemies grant combat advantage.
Terrifying Action (11th level): When you use an action point to make a gunslinger or terror gunner attack, that attack gains the Fear keyword. After resolving the attack, you can push each target hit by the attack a number of squares equal to its speed.
Love of Fear (16th level): You are immune to fear. Additionally, when you make an attack with the Fear keyword, you get a +1 bonus on attack rolls against creatures that are not immune to fear.

Terror Gunner Exploits

Terror Shot --- Terror Gunner Attack 11
When you hit an enemy, you fill it with fear.
Encounter --- Fear, Martial, Psychic
Free Action --- Ranged weapon
Trigger: You hit an enemy with an attack with a sunpowder weapon.
Effect: In addition to the attack's other effects, you push the target a number of squares equal to its speed, and the target takes 1d12 psychic damage and grants combat advantage (save ends).

Frightful Mien --- Terror Gunner Utility 12
You pour incredible intensity into your threatening glower and snarling demeanor.
Daily --- Martial, Stance
Minor Action --- Personal
Effect: You gain a +4 bonus on Intimidate checks.

Terrorize --- Sunpowder Sniper Attack 20
You give out a terrifying roar, then follow it up with a morale-breaking shot to an enemy.
Daily --- Fear, Martial, Weapon
Standard Action --- Close blast 5
Target: Each enemy in blast
Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
Hit: You push the target 3 squares.
Effect: Make the following secondary attack.
--- Secondary Attack --- Ranged weapon
--- Requirement: You must be wielding a sunpowder weapon.
--- Target: One creature.
--- Attack: Dexterity vs. AC
--- Hit: 4 [W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of the encounter.
--- Miss: Half damage.

the Jester

Legend
GUNSLINGER FEATS
What follows is a selection of feats aimed at gunslingers.

BRILLIANT SUNPOWDER BURST
Prerequisites:
Gunslinger, sunpowder burst class feature
Benefit: When you use your sunpowder burst class feature, you deal an extra 1d4 radiant damage to the target.

DEADLY SHOT
Prerequisites:
Gunslinger
Benefit: When you score a critical hit with a sunpowder weapon, you gain a bonus of +1d4 to critical severity. This bonus increases to +1d6 at 11th level and to +2d4 at 21st level.

DWARVEN POWDER MAKER
Prerequisites:
Gunslinger, dwarf, sunpowder creation class feature
Benefit: Whenever you create sunpowder, you create twice the normal amount.

ELVEN GUN ACCURACY
Prerequisites:
Gunslinger, elf, elven accuracy racial power, gunslinger's aim class feature
Benefit: If you use your elven accuracy to reroll an attack against the target of your gunslinger's aim, you gain a +2 bonus to the attack roll.

GNOME SNIPER
Prerequisites:
Gunslinger, gnome, 11th level
Benefit: When you are invisible and you make a weapon attack with a sunpowder weapon, your critical range expands by 1.

GNOMISH POWDER MAKER
Prerequisites:
Gunslinger, gnome, sunpowder creation class feature
Benefit: Only ¼ the sunpowder created by you loses its potency each day.

GUNSLINGER'S CALLUSES
Prerequisites:
Gunslinger
Benefit: You gain resist 1 fire and resist 1 radiant. This resistance increases to 2 at 11th level and to 3 at 21st level.

HALFLING SMOKE STALKER
Prerequisites:
Gunslinger, halfling
Benefit: While you are in a square filled with smoke, fog or similar obscurement, you never grant combat advantage.

HOT SUNPOWDER BURST
Prerequisites:
Gunslinger, sunpowder burst class feature
Benefit: When you use your sunpowder burst class feature, you deal an extra 1d4 fire damage to the target.

ORCISH GUNNERY TRAINING
Prerequisites:
Gunslinger, orc or half-orc
Benefit: At the start of your turn, if you are wielding an unloaded sunpowder weapon, you may load it as a free action. In addition, when you make an attack with a sunpowder weapon while you have cover or improved cover, you gain a +1 bonus to the attack.

ORCISH SUNPOWDER MASTERY
Prerequisites:
Orc or half-orc, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (sunpowder weapons)
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks using sunpowder weapons. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and to +3 at 21st level.

RAPID RELOAD
Prerequisite:
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (sunpowder weapons)
Benefit: You can reload a sunpowder weapon or crossbow as a free action once per round.

STEADY AIM
Prerequisites:
Gunslinger, 11th level
Benefit: If you have not moved since the end of your last turn, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with sunpowder weapons.

SUNPOWDER WEAPON EXPERTISE
Prerequisite:
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (sunpowder weapons)
Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls you make with a sunpowder weapon. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.
In addition, when you score a critical hit with a sunpowder weapon, you gain a bonus of +1d4 to critical severity. This bonus increases to +1d6 at 11th level and +2d4 at 21st level.

WIDE SUNPOWDER BURST
Prerequisites:
Gunslinger, sunpowder burst class feature, 11th level
Benefit: When you use your sunpowder burst class feature, each creature adjacent to the target also takes 3 points of fire and radiant damage. This increases to 6 points at 21st level.

the Jester

Legend
Cool... thanks!

BTW, did you ever revise your 3E elementalist class for 4e?

No, I didn't. Making a full base class in 4e that has a complete unique spell list seemed... daunting. Also, I was waiting for the "Elemental" power source to see some development- I kind of thought that it might have a 'close enough' thing in it (ehh, sort of, in the elementalist sorcerer), and by the time it came out, my campaign was advanced into epic levels and I didn't bother, since most of the pcs seemed highly likely to survive to the end. (I did get a big surprise on that score- my "least likely to permanently die" pc did, in fact, permanently die at the hands, er, hole, er something, of a blackball.)

EDIT: Which points out to me that the elementalist is a gaping hole in my 5e stuff, too. I've worked up a conversion of the cannabix as a druid circle; I think the elementalist will probably return to its roots as a cleric subclass or set of subclasses, maybe with a prestige class or two to pull it together at higher levels. Huh. Gonna have to work on that.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
No, I didn't. Making a full base class in 4e that has a complete unique spell list seemed... daunting. Also, I was waiting for the "Elemental" power source to see some development- I kind of thought that it might have a 'close enough' thing in it (ehh, sort of, in the elementalist sorcerer), and by the time it came out, my campaign was advanced into epic levels and I didn't bother, since most of the pcs seemed highly likely to survive to the end. (I did get a big surprise on that score- my "least likely to permanently die" pc did, in fact, permanently die at the hands, er, hole, er something, of a blackball.)
I though maybe not since there wasn't any reference to the class in your paragon path document. Since 4E isn't a big deal to me, I'm unlikely to create anything along that line either. In fact, I'm not keen on creating anything (hence the 4E material on the D&D wiki).

The one true 4E world I have (called Aernth) likely won't get past the design and world building stage. maybe it will go online as a free world for others to use. It's too early to tell. And it will always take a backseat to AD&D 2E, 3E, and, now, 5E.

EDIT: Which points out to me that the elementalist is a gaping hole in my 5e stuff, too. I've worked up a conversion of the cannabix as a druid circle; I think the elementalist will probably return to its roots as a cleric subclass or set of subclasses, maybe with a prestige class or two to pull it together at higher levels. Huh. Gonna have to work on that.
When you get around to it, shoot me a mention so I can check it out. :)

FYI... see attached.

Attachments

• Aernth_Races and Classes_list.pdf
    69.9 KB · Views: 262
  • Aernth.JPG
    Aernth.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Remove ads