D&D 4E Who's still playing 4E

D'karr

Adventurer
I'm currently playing 4e in a converted Kingmaker (Pathfinder) Adventure path. We are having a blast.

Interestingly enough I was recently invited to join in a Pathfinder game and declined because my experiences playing and running 3.x and Pathfinder, after playing 4e, have been extremely disappointing.

After we started playing 4e we still had a significant portion of the 3.x adventure path Savage Tide to play. We muddled through a large portion and eventually dropped playing because the game play was simply unsatisfying. Eventually after examining our disappointment, we agreed that standard action healing in 3.x was one of the major culprits in ruining the experience for us. It ended up being mostly the action economy in 3.x that hampered our enjoyment of the game.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Eventually after examining our disappointment, we agreed that standard action healing in 3.x was one of the major culprits in ruining the experience for us. It ended up being mostly the action economy in 3.x that hampered our enjoyment of the game.

Same. IMO 4e has the best action economy of any d20 game. Well, Star Wars Saga actually takes that for me.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
After we started playing 4e we still had a significant portion of the 3.x adventure path Savage Tide to play. We muddled through a large portion and eventually dropped playing because the game play was simply unsatisfying.
Savage Tide was the last thing I did in 3.x - I was playing in it on a PbP that turned into an in-person game, which we converted to 4e. The DM lost interest after a while, but it seemed fun while it lasted.

My character was enjoyable to roleplay under both systems, but much more satisfying under 4e, echoing your experiences. That said, it was not easy to make an analogue across editions, and the character class was a houseruled version of a later 3.5 splat class in the first place, so there were some issues converting, but once I got over the difference, it was fine.

I'm running a Strike! Star Wars game.

I'm also running an orthodox 13th Age game (which I'd rather it be 4e, Strike!, Cortex+ Heroic Fantasy, or Dungeon World).

Both of those are 4e offspring so they basically apply.

I'm running a Strike! Star Wars game.

I'm also running an orthodox 13th Age game (which I'd rather it be 4e, Strike!, Cortex+ Heroic Fantasy, or Dungeon World).

Both of those are 4e offspring so they basically apply.

I still think of 13a as more of a 3.5 spin-off than a 4e one. The classes are just not much like 4e classes and the absence of the power concept makes a huge difference.

I still think of 13a as more of a 3.5 spin-off than a 4e one. The classes are just not much like 4e classes and the absence of the power concept makes a huge difference.

While I'm not a huge fan of 13th Age (I certainly don't dislike it, but there are any number of Story Now Heroic Fantasy systems I'd rather be running), I don't really see the similarities to 3.x outside of (a) the basic d20 chassis and (b) the fact that Tweet was involved in 3.x as well as being the co-creator (with 4e's Heinsoo). Obviously I agree with you regarding the lack of symmetry in class resource scheduling for and lack of keyword dependency (including Power Source).

But for my money, the experience of 3.x was all about:

a) Terrible Action Economy - Heavily favoring casters while very negatively impacting mobility (perpetuating battlefield stagnation) and melee characters (PCs and NPCs aliike)
b) LFQW...cubed
c) Horrendous combat budgeting (in many ways directly related to a and b)
d) Granular noncombat task resolution predicated on process-sim and featuring fiddly build mechanics and binary (non-dynamic) action resolution
e) Magic Item Economy and all the notorious impact that proliferated onto the rest of the system and setting as a result
f) An exceedingly narrow sweet spot of play
g) Related to (b), but needing a spot on its own, is the overwhelming, conflict-neutering power of Divinations, Conjurations, and Transmutations.

13th Age doesn't feature any of those and pushes in the opposite direction toward 4e (along with being heavily focused on fail forward and the story components of PCs - a la 4e)

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I'm not sure if it's just me (because I don't truck in 5e circles), but I've noticed a definite, well, I wouldn't call it "pushback" exactly, but perhaps, nostalgia (?) for the "good bits" of what made 4e great. Maybe the community at large (not the echochamber of ENWorld) might be ready to integrate 4e into the fabric of D&D history and to acknowledge what it brought to the game.

Maybe it can be partially explained by the honeymoon phase of 5e coming to an end, but I've seen an awful lot of static along the lines of "hey, you know what I miss about 4e? Yeah, that was great. I wish they'd bring that back." Or, "Why was this cool thing not kept?"

I've seen this a number of times now, and maybe it's just that I've largely bailed out of online discussions of D&D because they're anti-4e for the most part in the circles I used to frequent, but there might be something to it. What do you folks think?

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I'm not sure if it's just me (because I don't truck in 5e circles), but I've noticed a definite, well, I wouldn't call it "pushback" exactly, but perhaps, nostalgia (?) for the "good bits" of what made 4e great. Maybe the community at large (not the echochamber of ENWorld) might be ready to integrate 4e into the fabric of D&D history and to acknowledge what it brought to the game.

Maybe it can be partially explained by the honeymoon phase of 5e coming to an end, but I've seen an awful lot of static along the lines of "hey, you know what I miss about 4e? Yeah, that was great. I wish they'd bring that back." Or, "Why was this cool thing not kept?"

I've seen this a number of times now, and maybe it's just that I've largely bailed out of online discussions of D&D because they're anti-4e for the most part in the circles I used to frequent, but there might be something to it. What do you folks think?

I think we might get some movement that way with more interesting martial classes and more dynamic monsters, but the parts of 4e that I really value - more dynamic lore with a focus on playability, transparency, openness toward indie RPG style play procedures, and rigorous mechanical design are probably nonstarters largely due to the internal culture at Wizards.

The sort of lore I desire runs contrary to the hopes of making Dungeons and Dragons into a cross-media property. There's a reason why Paradox is interested in Vampire: The Masquerade and not Requiem.

Rigorous Mechanical Design with heavy playtesting is definitely not going to happen for the foreseeable future. It requires a lot of effort that has not proven to be that valuable in the market. I think this is the reason why we haven't really seen a spiritual successor to 4e appear on the market. Tabletop RPGs don't justify the sort of economic resources required to build a game with that level of rigor.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
But for my money, the experience of 3.x was all about:

a) Terrible Action Economy - Heavily favoring casters while very negatively impacting mobility (perpetuating battlefield stagnation) and melee characters (PCs and NPCs aliike)
b) LFQW...cubed
d) Granular noncombat task resolution predicated on process-sim and featuring fiddly build mechanics and binary (non-dynamic) action resolution
e) Magic Item Economy and all the notorious impact that proliferated onto the rest of the system and setting as a result
g) Related to (b), but needing a spot on its own, is the overwhelming, conflict-neutering power of Divinations, Conjurations, and Transmutations.
It definitely had those problems. But I think it's weird that you associate eliminating those problems with 4e. Not because 4e had them, but because eliminating those flaws (as well as many, many others) was a goal for my own homebrew, which was significantly based off of 3.X.

But maybe you meant that because you didn't encounter those problems in 13th age, it reminded you more of 4e? I'm guessing that's it, but I'm curious.

IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE: While 4e has never been my game of choice, I definitely had fun running the game for a long time (with many play reports on these very forums).

Rigorous Mechanical Design with heavy playtesting is definitely not going to happen for the foreseeable future. It requires a lot of effort that has not proven to be that valuable in the market. I think this is the reason why we haven't really seen a spiritual successor to 4e appear on the market. Tabletop RPGs don't justify the sort of economic resources required to build a game with that level of rigor.
Wow. That's a good insight. And it's sad.

Also, I just want to say that you're definitely an MVP on this site. I rarely poke my head in these days, but I always enjoy seeing your posts.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
(snip) Rigorous Mechanical Design with heavy playtesting is definitely not going to happen for the foreseeable future. It requires a lot of effort that has not proven to be that valuable in the market. I think this is the reason why we haven't really seen a spiritual successor to 4e appear on the market. Tabletop RPGs don't justify the sort of economic resources required to build a game with that level of rigor.

(snip) Wow. That's a good insight. And it's sad. (snip)

You're right: That is both insightful and sad.

I think it's fair to conclude that the D&D fan base is dominated by nostalgia both when it comes to rules and to adventures. No wonder 5E seems to be succeeding!

I'm currently playing 4e in a converted Kingmaker (Pathfinder) Adventure path. We are having a blast.

Interestingly enough I was recently invited to join in a Pathfinder game and declined because my experiences playing and running 3.x and Pathfinder, after playing 4e, have been extremely disappointing. (snip)

I would put this really bluntly: Paizo APs work better with 4E. It's easier for the DM to run and it forces the DM to remove a lot of the grind that the APs otherwise rely on to get the PCs to the right level for the next grindfest.

Similar to your experience, I find it difficult to go back (yes, I consider it a backwards step) and play 5E. I don't enjoy those constipated feelings that come from playing what is, in effect, an earlier edition. I mean, looking up spells in a book? Stuff that. I want everything on my character sheet.
(snip) But for my money, the experience of 3.x was all about:

b) LFQW...cubed
g) Related to (b), but needing a spot on its own, is the overwhelming, conflict-neutering power of Divinations, Conjurations, and Transmutations. (snip)

I loved 3.5E until I discovered 4E and learnt that I could build a stat block in under 20 minutes no matter what level monster or NPC.

3.5E was becoming a full time job as a DM. If I relied on the pre-built stat blocks they were full of errors plus I needed to do almost as much work looking up feats and spells as I would have done building them myself and learning the feats and spells that way. And the amount of work I put into a stat block had no effect on how long I would be able to use it in play. No, I cannot go back to that... and 5E is much the same.

I'm not sure if it's just me (because I don't truck in 5e circles), but I've noticed a definite, well, I wouldn't call it "pushback" exactly, but perhaps, nostalgia (?) for the "good bits" of what made 4e great. Maybe the community at large (not the echochamber of ENWorld) might be ready to integrate 4e into the fabric of D&D history and to acknowledge what it brought to the game. (snip)

I DM 99% of the time. I don't have any interest in playing. So, as a DM, I look at 5E - which I have both run and played - and all I can see are how it's going to have the same problems as 1E and 3.5E as time moves on. Like 1E, playing theatre-of-the-mind with a system that relies heavily on strict measurements is ultimately going to require grids and minis for times when players would otherwise want to argue with the DM and like 3.5E it's still a lot of work to play a complicated monster because you still have to look things up, like spells, that appear on the stat block.

More power to 5E because I do like to see D&D succeeding but the problems that 4E solved are still there. But that's clearly OK because, as stated above, nostalgia is clearly of vital importance to the D&D fan base. And that nostalgia trumps a lot of the elegance of 4E design.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases