D&D 5E Looking for Short Urban Adventures for Levels 1-3

pukunui

Legend
Hi all,

I am in the market for some short urban adventures. I'm looking for something I can use to kick off a new campaign. Ideally I'd like a short and sweet adventure (or two) that covers levels 1-3. Something to help the PCs gel as a group and get them ready to go off on grander adventures outside the starting city.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Jonathan

p.s. I've already looked at a few on the DMs Guild. Trouble in Waterdeep would've been perfect except that I didn't find it particularly appealing. Same with the short urban adventures put out by Assassin Games under the heading "Wanted".

p.p.s. Any edition will do; doesn't have to be for 5e. I can convert it if necessary.

Last edited:

Luz

Explorer
U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is pretty ideal as it can be two short separate adventures or tied together as a two-part adventure.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Murder in Baldur's Gate is urban and low level. Not sure how high it goes, though., but definitely at least 1-3, possibly 5, but likely no higher.
+1 to the idea

If you don't like the whole thing (I didn't), use some of the scenarios separately.
- interfere in the unequal "duel" / challenge
- chase messenger pigeon to prevent blackmail effort
- Thieves Guild leader wants an interview with these new up-and-coming movers and shakers. (Maybe not for reasons that are good for them.)
- assassination attempt in Marketplace (but describe a different target)
- detective work to figure out why the alchemical supplies in the warehouse are being kept off-the-books

With some clever choices, you can give the group practice with combat, skill challenges, exploration, theater of the mind.

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=54629]pukunui[/MENTION] L2 The Assassins Knot?
U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is pretty ideal as it can be two short separate adventures or tied together as a two-part adventure.
Hmm. Neither of those are really what I'm after, but thank you just the same. I'm more after something set in a city, rather than in or near a town, and I want something short. Trouble in Waterdeep would've been perfect; I just didn't find it at all appealing.

Murder in Baldur's Gate is urban and low level. Not sure how high it goes, though., but definitely at least 1-3, possibly 5, but likely no higher.
Yeah, I was considering MiBG. I used bits of it while my group was in Baldur's Gate during our Tyranny of Dragons campaign but haven't run the whole thing before. It would technically fit, since I'm going to be running Scourge of the Sword Coast afterwards. Unfortunately, I'm going to be playing it (as a player) soon, so I don't think it would be right for me to DM it at the same time.

I've heard good things about Kobold Press' "Cat and Mouse."
I will check these two out. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
It might be a bit longer than you're looking for, but I had some success with Trouble-in-Waterdeep--An-Urban-Adventure. That link is to its page on the DMs Guild.

There's also "Wanted," which is a collection of very short urban low-level urban adventures. It has a couple of problems, in that some of the stuff is really underdeveloped, but overall it's pretty strong. You can read Merric's thoughts on it HERE, which will give you an idea of what you'd be dealing with, and that page includes a link to the DMs Guild page for the collection.

Remove ads