D&D 5E Age of Worms Adventure Path

Vienneau

Explorer
3) For the octopus drains, I'm wondering just how small these drains are that a giant octopus can fit through them, but they're not on the map and PCs don't notice them.

On the same theme of "size", how the heck do 4 large phase spiders fit into D15, an octagon that's only 10' per side!

6) The elf prisoner has been there for "nearly a month" - I imagine the guards in the other cell must have changed in that time. Plus someone has to come deliver food and water.

7) Your jest filled me with audible mirth at my place of labour.

A player mentioned that it was a "funhouse dungeon" and I tried to protest that it wasn't quite that bad...until they pointed out that they were currently in a literal maze of mirrors, just like a funhouse.

8) The sliding walls in the mirror maze that shoot up when a person is on either side, separating the lead person from the rest of the party.

9) I almost didn't give them the wand of cure wounds. They didn't get the wand of healing word in chapter 1, and I want to encourage them to go deep into dungeons without long rests, so hopefully this will encourage them. They did make it all the way through without long resting, though the cleric was a bit bored with the final encounter when her only action was Sacred Flame.

12) Ironically, I I changed the wizard half to a Warlock of the Great Old One from Volo's for side-plot reasons and the PCs opened by throwing the entire necklace of missiles they had at the bad guy - 18d6 damage. If only I'd stuck with Protection from Energy!

13) I ended the session with them emerging with all the loot (Levitate on the 250lb mirror, with another 250lb of continual flame lanterns on top of that) and the mindflayer appears and attacks.

I'm worried about the logistics. If the door is open when they enter, then only the first 1-2 PCs can get hit by the mind blast, and they'll just retreat. So maybe the door opens when they're all in the room? It has a peephole? (and yet is incredibly hard to find?). Or maybe it's best to attack right after they pull the lever and they're all in the bucket? Hmm.

The PCs also didn't pay much attention to the note that hooks the next part of the plot. They were puzzled for a bit, but then the flayer shows up and as they headed out into the night one mentioned, "well, I guess we solved the mystery of who wrote the note". Now I need to entice them to chase the Flayer when he escapes.

hastur_nz

First Post
I think your player is right, it's a fun-house kind of setup, not something to get too intellectual over; as you've noted, there are heaps of places where the logistics don't make a lot of sense. Don't sweat it, most if not all of these inconsistencies etc will never be found, you can ad-lib something, and/or no-one will care. It's designed to be fun, and challenging (i.e. deadly if your players are not overly smart in their play). I've run it twice now, 3.5 and 5e, and both times there were a couple of brief potential "what the...?" moments, which I quickly papered over, and we carried on. Both times, it was pretty fun (although each time, the doppelganger thing didn't work out as a highlight like it's designed to - the rest of it was a blast).

Tormyr

Adventurer
3) For the octopus drains, I'm wondering just how small these drains are that a giant octopus can fit through them, but they're not on the map and PCs don't notice them.

On the same theme of "size", how the heck do 4 large phase spiders fit into D15, an octagon that's only 10' per side!

6) The elf prisoner has been there for "nearly a month" - I imagine the guards in the other cell must have changed in that time. Plus someone has to come deliver food and water.

7) Your jest filled me with audible mirth at my place of labour.

A player mentioned that it was a "funhouse dungeon" and I tried to protest that it wasn't quite that bad...until they pointed out that they were currently in a literal maze of mirrors, just like a funhouse.

8) The sliding walls in the mirror maze that shoot up when a person is on either side, separating the lead person from the rest of the party.

9) I almost didn't give them the wand of cure wounds. They didn't get the wand of healing word in chapter 1, and I want to encourage them to go deep into dungeons without long rests, so hopefully this will encourage them. They did make it all the way through without long resting, though the cleric was a bit bored with the final encounter when her only action was Sacred Flame.

12) Ironically, I I changed the wizard half to a Warlock of the Great Old One from Volo's for side-plot reasons and the PCs opened by throwing the entire necklace of missiles they had at the bad guy - 18d6 damage. If only I'd stuck with Protection from Energy!

13) I ended the session with them emerging with all the loot (Levitate on the 250lb mirror, with another 250lb of continual flame lanterns on top of that) and the mindflayer appears and attacks.

I'm worried about the logistics. If the door is open when they enter, then only the first 1-2 PCs can get hit by the mind blast, and they'll just retreat. So maybe the door opens when they're all in the room? It has a peephole? (and yet is incredibly hard to find?). Or maybe it's best to attack right after they pull the lever and they're all in the bucket? Hmm.

The PCs also didn't pay much attention to the note that hooks the next part of the plot. They were puzzled for a bit, but then the flayer shows up and as they headed out into the night one mentioned, "well, I guess we solved the mystery of who wrote the note". Now I need to entice them to chase the Flayer when he escapes.

3. The map doesn't show much of anything in the water. When asked in our game, I told them they had to swim down into the murky water to see it. When one of them finally got the courage, they found a grate with 1-foot openings: big enough to let the octopus through but small enough to keep the PCs out.

6. The adventure mentions that Ilya has seen so many people and had so many mind games played on her that she does not trust anyone.

7. Good. :)

12. Was the whole necklace thrown at once? If so, you were nice to them. Extra beads only increase the damage by 1d6. Disregard this if the beads were thrown individually.

13. Drow have twice the darkvision distance of everyone else. Have the secret door be open but the drow are far enough back that they are in the dark. The party comes in and sees something different (the door is open) but does not know that an attack is imminent. Either the party investigates and the drow fire from the darkness, or have the drow and illithid advance and attack from the edge once the party enters and looks like they are going to ignore the opening.

Vienneau

Explorer
Shoot, I read the Necklace of Missiles too fast!

I really like your approach to the Drow. I wish I'd thought of that before I left them with the cliffhanger of the mindflayer attacking!

IcarusATB

Explorer
Thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

I'm going back to run this for the third time, and I'm SO excited to have your files converting everything!

I simply cannot say how much this just made my life easier! Thanks you, so much!

Tormyr

Adventurer

I'm going back to run this for the third time, and I'm SO excited to have your files converting everything!

I simply cannot say how much this just made my life easier! Thanks you, so much!

You're welcome! :) You will probably want to scan through this thread, as several people have caught errors or omissions that I have not yet had time to go back and fix. (I figured out the format I was going to use in chapter 6 and went back and very quickly rewrote 1-5, so they are a little bit more rough.)

IcarusATB

Explorer
You're welcome! :) You will probably want to scan through this thread, as several people have caught errors or omissions that I have not yet had time to go back and fix. (I figured out the format I was going to use in chapter 6 and went back and very quickly rewrote 1-5, so they are a little bit more rough.)
That's good to know! I had only sparsely read the thread … I hadn't planned on reading the whole thing.
But, now I have something to do this morning with my coffee!!

Thanks, again!

smbakeresq

Explorer

This and Savage Tide are some of the best writing and adventure that has been produced. I want to convert Savage Tide but just haven’t gotten to it.

Tormyr

Adventurer
This and Savage Tide are some of the best writing and adventure that has been produced. I want to convert Savage Tide but just haven’t gotten to it.

I have not read Savage Tides, but Age of Worms was a lot of fun. I appreciated that it hit almost every major kind of monster (except maybe for goblins). Interesting that those were number 2 and 3 of Paizo's adventure paths IIRC.

I will have to say though that the EN Publishing's adventures, namely those written/coordinated by [MENTION=63]RangerWickett[/MENTION] (and a host of other great authors) are some of the most interesting adventures I have ever read. Zeitgeist and War of the Burning Sky aimed to be unique, and I think they both hit that target very well, making memorable adventures.

smbakeresq

Explorer
I have not read Savage Tides, but Age of Worms was a lot of fun. I appreciated that it hit almost every major kind of monster (except maybe for goblins). Interesting that those were number 2 and 3 of Paizo's adventure paths IIRC.

I will have to say though that the EN Publishing's adventures, namely those written/coordinated by @RangerWickett (and a host of other great authors) are some of the most interesting adventures I have ever read. Zeitgeist and War of the Burning Sky aimed to be unique, and I think they both hit that target very well, making memorable adventures.

Savage Tide hit a lot a monster groups also, but had some unique ones. Essentially you sail to Isle of Dread and eventually end up forming an alliance with Orcus and Iggwilv to fight Demogorgon. What could go wrong?

Last edited:

Remove ads