Wizard Feats

trentonjoe

Explorer
My group feels like there aren't any good feats for wizards to take which leads to all wizards (and sorcerers) to pretty much always take the ASI and jack up their spell casting stat. I am tinkering around with ideas and I want them to be good enough that a 4th or 8th level wizard would take this instead of the +2 INT.

I was looking for some constructive criticism on the feat below. It is based around the idea that spell casters can trade damage for an additional effect. The one concern I have is that it feels a bit like casting 2 spells at one time but personally i am okay with that....

Enhanced Spellcasting
Prerequisite: Can cast at least one 2nd level spell (is this even needed?)

Skilled in manipulating eldritch forces, you can replace some of the damage dice from a spell with an effect. When you cast a spell with an instantaneous effect that causes damage and targets one creature you can:

swap out 2 dice of damage for the ability to restrain the target of the spell (spell DC to negate)
swap out 4 dice of damage for the ability to blind the target of the spell (spell DC to negate)
swap out 6 dice of damage for the ability to paralyze the target of the spell (spell DC to negate)

The target of the spell must take damage for the secondary effect to occur.

So, cast fireball, swap out 6 dice to paralyze all targets: You still do 2d6 damage, and all targets in an area of radius 20 ft need to make paralysis DC saves.

The next best thing is Hypnotic pattern (which some people argue is already game-breaking), but the area of effect of Hypnotic pattern is only 30 ft cubed, whereas this is a 20 ft radius (40 ft diameter). Also, hypnotic pattern only incapacitates creatures, whereas you now paralyze them with the Fireball. And you get to do damage on top of it.

I would limit the effect to 1 creature, chosen by the caster, otherwise it sounds a little overpowered to me.

When you cast a spell with an instantaneous effect that causes damage and targets one creature you can:

So, cast fireball, swap out 6 dice to paralyze all targets: You still do 2d6 damage, and all targets in an area of radius 20 ft need to make paralysis DC saves.

The next best thing is Hypnotic pattern (which some people argue is already game-breaking), but the area of effect of Hypnotic pattern is only 30 ft cubed, whereas this is a 20 ft radius (40 ft diameter). Also, hypnotic pattern only incapacitates creatures, whereas you now paralyze them with the Fireball. And you get to do damage on top of it.

I would limit the effect to 1 creature, chosen by the caster, otherwise it sounds a little overpowered to me.
It doesn't look like that is going to be too much of an issue if it only works on single-target spells.

I can't see too much of an issue, but this will depend on the duration of the status effect, and the save that it targets, neither of which are in the feat description.

Worst potential for abuse that I can think of might be Acid Arrow, or Magic Missile, but neither of these seem more powerful than other similar spells.

Caliburn101

Explorer
I would do this;

ENHANCED SPELLCASTING

You may modify a damaging spell by using your Bonus Action in addition to the Action used to cast the spell. Note that these modifications cannot be made to Cantrips.

Modifications possible;

Cold Damage: Spell does -1 damage per die and target(s) that didn't save and take damage from the spell are at -10ft to their Move until your next turn
Fire or Acid Damage: Spell does -1 damage per die in the first round, and target(s) that didn't save and take damage from the spell take 1 damage per damage die for the next 2 rounds
Lightning Damage: Spell does -1 damage per die and target(s) that didn't save and take damage from the spell lose any Bonus Action or Reaction normally available to them until your next turn
Poison Damage: Spell does -1 damage per die and target(s) that didn't save and take damage from the spell are poisoned until your next turn
Necrotic Damage: Spell does -1 damage per die and target(s) that didn't save and take damage from the spell are Frightened until your next turn
Radiant Damage: Spell does -1 damage per die and target(s) that didn't save and take damage from the spell are 'dazzled', suffering the standard penalties associated with Dim Light conditions until your next turn if they normally use light to see
Thunder Damage: Spell does -1 damage per die and target(s) that didn't save and take damage from the spell are Deafened until your next turn

You may also modify area by adding +5ft radius, or side of a square area, or an additional 10ft range for a cone for -1 damage per die.

You may also add +50% range to a spell for -1 damage per die (round down).

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
My group feels like there aren't any good feats for wizards to take which leads to all wizards (and sorcerers) to pretty much always take the ASI and jack up their spell casting stat. I am tinkering around with ideas and I want them to be good enough that a 4th or 8th level wizard would take this instead of the +2 INT.

I was looking for some constructive criticism on the feat below. It is based around the idea that spell casters can trade damage for an additional effect. The one concern I have is that it feels a bit like casting 2 spells at one time but personally i am okay with that....

Enhanced Spellcasting

Skilled in manipulating eldritch forces, you can replace some of the damage dice from a spell with an effect. When you cast a spell with an instantaneous effect that causes damage and targets one creature you can:

swap out 2 dice of damage for the ability to restrain the target of the spell (spell DC to negate)
swap out 4 dice of damage for the ability to blind the target of the spell (spell DC to negate)
swap out 6 dice of damage for the ability to paralyze the target of the spell (spell DC to negate)

If I were going to do this, I would steal and repackage the Martial Maneuvers feat.

Give them one Arcane Powers die.
Allow them to choose two maneuvers from that list of battle master maneuvers repackaged for spell attacks.

I would not go with what you have here because it seems way too versatile as it provides three different conditions that are each huge in their own right. That's more than one feat given it can be applied with every spell.

But as another approach, look at the tests other classes are taking before/in- lieu-of the ASI-to-20 for their primary stat and see if there aren't equivalents for spell users - can you follow those as a guide.

I mean if it's the case ghstvdverybody is going AS-to-20, no need to empower the wizzies with more powerful fest, right? If the others are using feats before 20 regularly, that shows you what is seen as valuable enough in your games - so following that lead seems a better starting place than some shot in the dark.

So, what feats are the others using before maxing their dex or strength?

Satyrn

First Post

Enhanced Spellcasting

No, the prerequisite isn't needed. Spellcasting, sure, but any specific level feels pointless.

I wouldn't take this feat. I don't like that I have to pay a cost in damage everytime I use it. I'd much prefer that using the feat gives me some real boost when I use it.

Doing something like 5ekyu suggests, making the feat work like Martial Adept, would be much cooler.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

Enhanced Spellcasting

Couple of thoughts. First I echo other's concerns about this on multi-target spells.

Second, Paralysis is really strong because of the auto-crits. The spells that grant it like Hold Person grant a save every turn.

Third, I'm a bit leery of stepping on sorcerers toes. Their niche is that they can adjust spells - this gives out that concept to anyone.

Fourth, we already have a mechanism for granting power to spells - using higher level slots. That would also help keep things in line with expected power levels.

Fifth, I would restrict this to spells 1st level or higher (not needed with point #4, only with how it is now). Because otherwise being able to dothis at high levels with cantrips gets ugly.

Sixth, I think you are undervaluing the potency of some of those conditions. There are whole spells geared to giving those out, and being able to do it while still having (reduced) damage and other effects is very potent.

Seventh and most important, the ongoing conditions need to put the Concentration modifier on the spell, otherwise it breaks the whole 5e debuff paradigm.

Okay, that was more thoughts then I thought I had when I started writing them. :)

EDIT: Eighth, this system also allows a lot more flexibility in picking spells that target weak saves for the appropriate foe. Perhaps each effect has a separate, static save. (Blind vs. CON, Paralyze vs. WIS, etc.)

Last edited:

Some ideas to explore and adjust.
Expanded mind : you can prepare 5 more spells.
Improve arcane recovery. When you use arcane recovery you regain 1d4 additional spell points.
Magic sharpness: increase your spell DC by 2.

How about:

Spell Sense:
If you see or hear a spell being cast, you can use your bonus action to determine the level of the spell.

Good for all the counterspell/dispel users. You would still need to use an action to make an arcana check if you want to determine what the spell is, but you can "feel" the power level being used.

Edit: [MENTION=158]Henry[/MENTION]'s comment made me think this would be better as
Spell Sense:
+1 wis
If you see or hear a spell being cast, you can use your bonus action to determine the level of the spell.

+1 wisdom to help with the passive perception so you are better at noticing that a spell is being cast.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Also, don't forget as a balancing mechanic that you don't have to give away the farm in a feat; you can always say, "+1 to {STAT} and plus the following effects:" That way, you can limit the scope of the extra powers a bit more and not feel like you have to give tons of abilities to make a feat worthwhile.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases