D&D 5E High Level Shopping

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=25643]ca[/MENTION]ppnZapp

Sorry mate, you seem to misunderstand me here and also your assumption how valuable a mountain of copper RAW might be seems a bit of.

First lets take a longsword: 15 sp might be a reasonable price for it assuming the silver coins are comparable to historic equivalents e.g. roman denar.

15 gp like in PHB is wayyyy off. Why? let us see: let's take the size of a standard gold piece you could e.g. craft a ring from the material in it. Unless your goldsmith is taking 10s of gold by the hour let us assume the material value of the ring is 1gp still the actual price be 2gp with the work.

So I need the material value of 15 gold rings to buy a long sword or the market value of 7,5 gold rings. So I assume every city guard who can afford a long sword would be running around with more bling than Mr T from the A-team.

Other things like a bucket, no matter if made from wood, leather or some metal would be 5 cp according to PHB. That is a reasonable price if you would use a silver based pricing (all prices for weaponry is silver instead of gold) but with the currency system as is it is totally out of any reasonable relation.

Imagine a D&D Walmart: Sir, do you rather buy the Longsword or the 300 Buckets with your 15 gp? The Longsword took 1 smith a week to craft the buckets took the people who crafted them let's assume 2 a day that comes to 150 work days. so your weaponsmith must be a very wealthy man and surely got some of the highest wages around.

You see the RAW gp system as is is totally broken there is no reason to use it other than for simplicity, and within it cp and even sp are garbage not worth picking them up.

You stated your single counter point : the dragon hoard. So let us see, of course, if it looks in that Smaug the hobbit movie then no matter what metal it is it would be very valuable. But. Smaug is a legendary level 30 dragon and it is not his lair from the beginning but the outcome of many centuries of dwarven mining, he just took over.
A typical heap of precious metal would be mixed a bit, with the coins being present roughly about there value so for every 10c there is 1s and for every 10s 1g, since lower value coins are more frequently, just look in your purse as soon as you got some change. So only 1% of it is gold. And with 1 gold coin would be 10 grams e.g. the players could carry away lets say 10.000 gold in one go if they only take the gold.

You are right in so far that this is a fortune in a silver based economy, well that does not matter because by the time the players could face a dragon with such a hoard, money should be the least of their problems in a vanilla setting.

And still your fortune could only buy you 2 raise dead by the temple in the standard setting, well in a silver based setting you could raise 20 fallen comrades.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] I did reply to this post but got your alias wrong sorry, pls read my reply above this post, I cannot edit it without destroying the formatting.

CapnZapp

Legend
[MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] I did reply to this post but got your alias wrong sorry, pls read my reply above this post, I cannot edit it without destroying the formatting.
Not sure your point. You say the default system is broken. Okay? How does this comment upon my preference for using the silver piece in place of gold?

(That D&D is entirely removed from realism - absolutely. And I also tried to deflect away from any discussion along the "silver is more realistic than gold" line. Since D&D is not realistic anyhow, I prefer to simply say "...because I like a silver-based economy better" :) )

As for the mountains of gold, I was merely making the observation that switching to silver does bring about one (minor) hiccup: being able to present a physically impressive hoard for the heroes to loot. Not a big issue - in fact an easily managed issue. But still.

Zapp

PS. Every comment I am making in this thread assumes my magic item economy - this thread is literally about what magic items costs in my campaign. So, sorry, but the notion "money should be the least of their problems in a vanilla setting" is entirely off topic here and I won't address it.

Regards,
Zapp

Last edited:

Coroc

Hero
Not sure your point. You say the default system is broken. Okay? How does this comment upon my preference for using the silver piece in place of gold?

(That D&D is entirely removed from realism - absolutely. And I also tried to deflect away from any discussion along the "silver is more realistic than gold" line. Since D&D is not realistic anyhow, I prefer to simply say "...because I like a silver-based economy better" :) )

As for the mountains of gold, I was merely making the observation that switching to silver does bring about one (minor) hiccup: being able to present a physically impressive hoard for the heroes to loot. Not a big issue - in fact an easily managed issue. But still.

Zapp

PS. Every comment I am making in this thread assumes my magic item economy - this thread is literally about what magic items costs in my campaign. So, sorry, but the notion "money should be the least of their problems in a vanilla setting" is entirely off topic here and I won't address it.

Regards,
Zapp

Yepp that's exactly the same (other) reason I prefer silver better also, it allows me to insert my own economy, and it gives treasure in form of coins a meaning. I really admire your effort in putting up a magic item pricing system for your campaign.

In my campaign people can buy a load of mundane items since the tech level is quite high, but for magic items I only offer healing pots, sometimes more potent than the standard and mage spells from the guild for the party mage to learn his spells. But these are for a hefty price, to prevent stockpiling them. every spell and some more are available though. I might have put up prices for magic items, but my players prefer a moderate magic item level, e.g. rather a +1 weapon than a weapon which does 2d8 instead of 1d8.

On the non realistic RAW system: my intent was just to point out, that even if you do not have the time or mood to develop your own economic system, simply changing from gold to silver in the tables and treasures does help a lot even if you continue using the tables, and that is such an easy house rule to implement.

Remove ads