Pages From The Upcoming Nautical D&D Book!

These screencaps were posted by GM Leigh (of Mage Productions) on Twitter after being showed on WotC's Twitch stream, presented by Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart. Note the old Saltmarsh trilogy references!

1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

guachi

Hero
I love U1 so much I've run it twice in 5e and am currently running it for a third time. Never played it as a kid but I believe my friend's parents owned a copy.

There is a fantastic set of maps for U1 someone posted on this site. U2 and U3 are good but I don't think they hold a candle to U1. It's a great short adventure you can complete in two sessions.

Unfortunately for WOTC I already own a copy I bought off of eBay and I already have the great maps printed up. And I have U2 an U3 in PDF form.

There's zero reason for me to buy a 5e conversion, especially if it's as lazy as that of Yawning Portal.

There's no way the maps will be as good as the free maps you can get and there's no equaling the pleasure in actually having a copy of the real thing.

I hope others enjoy it. But the ship has sailed for me on this product.

BMaC

Adventurer
I love U1 so much I've run it twice in 5e and am currently running it for a third time. Never played it as a kid but I believe my friend's parents owned a copy.

There is a fantastic set of maps for U1 someone posted on this site. U2 and U3 are good but I don't think they hold a candle to U1. It's a great short adventure you can complete in two sessions.

Unfortunately for WOTC I already own a copy I bought off of eBay and I already have the great maps printed up. And I have U2 an U3 in PDF form.

There's zero reason for me to buy a 5e conversion, especially if it's as lazy as that of Yawning Portal.

There's no way the maps will be as good as the free maps you can get and there's no equaling the pleasure in actually having a copy of the real thing.

I hope others enjoy it. But the ship has sailed for me on this product.

Link to the maps you mention please?

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Greyhawk fans would be upset if they used Saltmarsh.

I could be mistaken but I believe Saltmarsh was retrofitted to Greyhawk. If I recall correctly it was very loosely situated in Keoland but the original module was pretty setting-neutral, like many of those early modules. This map shows the locations, most of which I recall from the WoG boxed set, though many of them seem pretty sketchy to me in terms of the actual modules. For instance, Keep on the Borderlands was always a BECMI module, as was In Search of the Unknown and thus more properly in Mystara anyway. These had a connection but are set on opposite sides of the map.... Isle of Dread wasn't a demi-plane, it was where Mystara was introduced! So there were a lot of ret-cons even back in the day.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers

Yeah, I love those old modules but Yawning Portal was... well... appropriately named. I totally don't get why that was a hardcover. Nice PoD redos of classic modules on DMs Guild? Sure. I suspect they had a production schedule to fill and something wasn't working out.

gyor

Legend
Desert of Desolation was retrofitted to FR. It was originally released as being setting-neutral. I'm running it now. It really is a very good adventure, though I think that a good-faith update---not a thematically loosely related "spiritual successor" to other IMO often overdone classics as the others have been, but one that keeps a good bit of the story and plot intact---would be in order. The supermodule version has some rough patches and annoying decisions (e.g., the whole "teleport people to Raurin" to force them into the adventure) and a lot of areas that could be explored/filled out, either by WotC or by writers online. It would make a magnificent levels 1 to about 15 campaign, although I ended up running it starting at level 8 with existing characters. I wish I'd thought of running it before establishing some things I'm running now, because I'd fill out a lot of the details myself. It's a great story.

Expand it and set it in 5e you could have a great 1-20 levels.

I'd want enough to explore the general region like SKT does for Swordcoast and the North or Volo's Guide to the Old Empires region like W: DH had a guide to Waterdeep.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases