Anyone else finding their TTRPG spending going down for lack of interest/need?

Retreater

Legend
I've gone through a recent period of spending way too much money (and time) collecting and painting miniatures for wargames that I'll probably never play. (Can't find anyone to play.)
Buying some new systems too. Forbidden Lands was great. The Fantasy Trip - haven't gotten into it yet - feeling pretty meh.
I'm pretty much done buying D&D at this point. I have more than enough content. Don't want to buy stuff I'll never use like I did during the d20 glut.

3catcircus

Adventurer
Life gets in the way - I haven't played in a steady D&D game in over a year.

That having been said, when I was playing, I was really unimpressed with how WotC had been marketing their offerings over the past couple of years since 5e was introduced. I literally have no idea what their upcoming releases are, and of the stuff that they have released, I'm uninspired by it.

It doesn't "help" that I have tons of product going back to the OD&D days that I find more inspiring, more interesting, and more "fun.". I'm tired out reading glowing reviews of products described as state of the art design, or diverse, or socially conscious, or anything other than "fun.". Fun to play, fun for the DM, and fun to adapt and modify.

What I want:. Short, easy to run adventures that can be mashed together with others to form adventure paths. I'm not talking paizo-like APs. I'm talking the list in the back of Goodman Games DCC35 that listed various of their DCC adventures and how to turn them into an AP...

3catcircus

Adventurer
Seriously, look at dmsguild. Especially the things designed just for this. Like the AL and CCC mods.

I've looked at them. I'm not loving the CCC, DDAL or DDEX mods - these are part of an organized play system and are tied together in some fashion. I'm really looking for standalone mods that *I* can tie together however I see fit, that are really short like the old 32-page TSR mods, but that have enough info to make it easy for a DM to run. Nothing out there seems to fit what I want. They are either super elaborate, too detailed in the wrong areas, or so tied to specific locales that I'd have to do a bunch of work to make them flow properly - which takes time that I don't have...

Given that I have tons of old product anyway, I see no need to buy any new stuff right now.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases