Uneasy Partnerships

The gaming industry is generally a very helpful and friendly place. But sometimes relationships can be strained between the very people whose partnership is the heart of the industry: producers and retailers. In the age of digital publishing and internet ordering, it has become harder and harder to do well as a games retailer. In this article I hope to offer some insight into where the difficulties in the industry lie to help customers support both retailers and games producers.

[h=3]The Problem with PDFs[/h]Digital products are brilliant and have actually saved me from serious injury. I used to carry a full set of 7th Sea books to my gaming sessions and now I just bring a core book and an iPad. My back has thanked me ever since. Bookmarking has made them really quick to use and they a much cheaper than a hard copy. But the problem is retailers can’t sell them very easily. I’ve noticed a lot of my purchases these days are digital and that doesn’t help my local game store.

Sadly, short of banning PDFs there isn’t much to be done, and you can’t put the genie back in the bottle even if you want to. Luckily most gamers want a hard copy book to actually play the game with, and PDFs have yet to make a dent in board game sales. But one thing that can make a difference is ‘Bits and Mortar’. This site carries a collection of PDFs and allows stores to duplicate the offer a lot of games companies make of ‘free PDF with the book’. If your local store doesn’t know about it, get them to check it out. If your favorite games company doesn’t use it, ask them to give it a try.
[h=3]The Giants[/h]Games can be very expensive, and it can be tough for many gamers to afford the books they want. It’s not surprising that Amazon does very well by offering the lowest price. But if there is only a couple of bucks difference, I encourage you to make your purchase from a games retailer or producer. Amazon isn’t offering lower prices out of the goodness of their heart, or because games retailers are mean and greedy. They can simply afford to cut their profit margin in a way retailers can’t. It has also been alleged that Amazon has also used its weight to push suppliers to offer lower prices too.

This is good for the customer, but not for the retailers and producers. If you want them to survive, they need your business, and cutting prices to match is often just a quicker way to see them fail. I’m reminded of a customer who asked a retailer I know at a convention about a game. The retailer spent quite some time explaining the game and detailing how it worked. To which the customer responded joyfully with ‘wow, you’ve really sold me on this. I’m going straight back to my hotel room to order it on Amazon’. It was like he thought the retailer got a cut. They don’t, they just spend less time helping customers who might buy stuff from them.
[h=3]Direct Sales[/h] What has been a godsend to producers is a problem for retailers. The internet means that most companies can offer their products to the customer directly. This might mean special deals although most do keep to retailer prices. While it helps producers make more money by cutting a layer out of the supply chain, it makes the supply chain a lot shorter.

There isn’t really a simple answer to this, as producers are in just as much need of your hard-earned dollars as retailers are. But if you can try and spread your purchases, it will benefit the industry as a whole. Retailers will always have the advantage of being able to talk to you about the games, so use that and get more value for money from your purchase. If you back Kickstarters, remind the creators to add retailer levels to get the books out in stores. Plenty of successful Kickstarters essentially hoover up all the potential sales. Retailer levels are a vital lifeline.
[h=3]Games Diversity[/h]There are a lot of games out there, and the best sellers are not always the best games. If people don’t talk to retailers about what they are playing, they won’t know to order it. This is one of the advantages retailers have over producers, and it’s the smaller producers getting hurt with fewer retail orders. While some large retailers can collect almost everything, many smaller ones have a very limited shelf space. If they are only stocking Pathfinder, it’s probably because that’s popular. If retailers aren’t stocking a game, it should be no surprise that people aren’t buying it very much. If you tell them you are playing Blue Rose, they may make a point of ordering a few copies. In this way, not only can you get the games you want locally, but someone else might see a new game on the shelf and try it out.
[h=3]Introduce New People[/h]Finally, the best way we can help the industry in every way is to find more gamers. Introduce more people to the hobby and help them get started. Then, like the rest of us, they will be looking to spend their money on more dice and books, and that’s good for everyone.

This article was contributed by Andrew Peregrine (Corone) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Andrew Peregrine

Andrew Peregrine

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've never really had an FLGS, so that aspect of RPG culture doesn't have that nostalgia for me. I suspect it's why I ended up being so involved with the online community as soon as that became possible. The closest thing is the Forbidden Planet branch in town, but they're not so much the "F" part of FLGS! They do stock a more RPGs now than they have historically, though (a couple of years ago it was one small shelf with just some D&D books and maybe a Pathfinder book?)

pogre

Legend
It's all been largely said, but there is a couple of situations that keep me from buying much from LFGS.

They don't carry what I want and frankly, they are smart not to. I love miniatures, skirmish games, and things of that nature, but not GW much these days. I spend most of my hobby money on paints, models, and dwarven forge.

Some of the products a game store cannot get cheaper than me - Dwarven Forge for example. The rest just does not sell well enough for the stores to justify carrying it. So, I buy it all online.

Stores around here need to sell Magic cards and board games to survive. Things I do not buy very often.

I do make almost all of my D&D purchases at a local store. In part, because they have a decent discount program that while not as good as Amazon prices - allows me to not feel like I'm giving a charitable donation.

practicalm

Explorer
Meh. Kickstarter is definitely part of the environment now, but I doubt it has as large of an impact as many folks assume. Many of the games kickstarted on the site would not exist otherwise, and many of the kickstarters have retailer pledge levels to get those games onto retailer shelves. If I were a retailer, I wouldn't worry about Kickstarter (or other crowdfunding sites) because it's simply not possible to compete with them in any meaningful way. I would also watch the tabletop games section of Kickstarter to see if I want to risk a pledge to get some of those games on my store shelves.

There is a lot of money going through the Kickstarter ecosystem and the two stores that I've talked to say business has seen a decrease. This may mostly be board games but when profit margins are thin, the reduced revenue has a large impact to the bottom line.

jasper

Rotten DM
Well now you kids way back in 1879 1880 during the Carter years, we had a local gaming store. (Jasper reaches for his Crown Royal bag) Which of you kids swapped my real Crown Royal bag for my dice bag? (Eyes porge and pulls out his hip flask). The LGS had some RPG stuff, needlework, yarn work, flower arrangement stuff. Or you could hit the two local book stores for some RPG and those baby blue dice what had the white crayon in them. But none had tables to play.
In 1982 while in Army at Ft Devens we had a FLGS. It was crowded. Some you kids on the overweight program would not be able fit down the aisles. The owner had 7 or 8 big size books you could order from. You know those 25 pound Bible size books Bishop Morrus carries with him. But no tables.
Back in 1784 while station Calli For A Eye we had the store on CANNERY ROW it was about the size of a deuce and a half. But no Tables. Or we could go to Carmel. It was at least 30 feet by 20 squares long. I once saw Dirty Harry shoot a guy for double parking his VW bug. But no tables.
Back here in town. We have Visions. THANK YOU MAGIC GAMERS. BLESS ARE YOU. AND PRAISE THE CROWN royal. Them there Magic folk buy enough stuff that are tables are free. But I do encourage you to buy some of your supplies there.
We also have GT South a gaming bar. Bring your own light sources, they kind keep dark.
Yes if you can you should support the Local Gaming Store. I have not problems if stores charge for table space because the margin is thin.
Now you kids SNORE!........

Must be nice. I never had a "game hub". Maybe other folks are right. It's a regional thing.

It really is, and once you've experienced a good game hub situation it's hard to imagine going back to the dark ages of not having one. I mean, I lived in Seattle from 1996-2005, arguably the gaming heyday of the region, and I found it so much harder to find and meet other gamers in that city even though it had something like 10 game stores, but only one of them had any real space for gaming, albeit no hours to support when I actually could game.

Once I came to Albuquerque, where I had essentially 1 game store (2 now) but it was designed ground up to provide maximum gaming space with no questions asked and stays open until midnight every day; this was a game changer for me. I've managed two weekly groups now since 2007 and no longer have to worry about hosting at home, or the equally divisive issue of another gamer hosting (which is a whole separate bag of cats). Neutral spaces for gaming are, as I see it, just like regular sports: you could in theory play soccer or baseball in your back yard, but it's not ideal and finding an actual public spot to play is far preferable. To me RPGs are no different. Plus, by gaming in public venues I've gotten to meet so many more gamers in person that way (though in the last few years less so; the younger generation is by default less social and engaging in the public, which does of course mean that all my feelings on this will one day be moot, as Gen Xers slowly wither away).

These days having meetup.com and other resources is great, but being able to play and run games without having to turn my house into a entertainment zone twice a week? Priceless. Obviously people with the space and a desire to host will feel differently, but for me....yeah, I do not want to go back to the old days which felt like, "water everywhere and not a drop to drink," so to speak.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
[MENTION=10738]Doctor Futurity[/MENTION] I agree, to a point. I loved the Fantasy Flight Game Center here in the Twin Cities area. Huge space, large tables, clean; good food and beer on tap; knowledgeable, professional, and friendly staff. But, increasingly, I'm finding it too limiting.

Two things would win me back and make it my preferred venue:

1. Easy to reach outlets from all tables (under the tables so you down have to worry about tripping).

2. The ability to reserve tables.

Give me 1 & 2 for an hourly price that include, say a free drink an hour.

In Taiwan, I used to go to these lounges where you pay by the hour. You get one free drink up to a certain value each hour. There is a call button at each table to call wait staff to order snacks, more drinks, etc. Many had large libraries of comics. People go to these to hangout and read comics, meet with friends, or have business meetings, or study. They would be great for gaming.

I think businesses like WeWork are moving in this direction. They are going beyond offering space for business meetings and are not focusing on social events and hobby groups. I'm seeing more and more of these kinds of by-hour and daily rental office spaces going up around the country. In the Twin Cities it seems there is a new one opening every couple of months. The rates are dropping to the point where Meetup.com is including free WeWork conference room rentals and drinks in their subscription. The subscription rate for Meetup.com is $25 per month. Less if you commit to six months. $25 a month is about a half or a third of what I would pay for a one-hour rental of a conference room, or a day rate for a small office or table at a co-working space as recent as last year.

I've been using turn-key suites and co-working sites around the world for years. It floors me how much the price has dropped.

It would be interesting to so if there would be enough demand that WeWork or some similar company would offer space and deals geared for gamers.

Say you could get a large table, with loads of outlet, a projector, in a space conference room that is only for your group, and it includes free coffee, water, and tea. Maybe beer. Maybe they throw in a pizza. How much would you pay?

I still think it would be a bit high for many people, I think gaming stores stores with large play spaces could easily compete with a low table rent that included vouchers for soda, etc.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases