WotC Baldur's Gate III Announced; Powered by D&D 5E

The developers of the Divinity: Original Sin series, Laria Studios, officially announced Baldur’s Gate III.
The new game will use the D&D 5th Edition rules as the backbone for their system and the storyline will be set directly after the events in the upcoming adventure Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. The game will be released on PC and the new Google Stadia video game streaming service. The announcement came with a teaser trailer below. More information is expected at the video game and electronics conference E3 next week.

The game isn't quite available for pre-order, but you can add it to your wishlist on Steam. The Steam listing also gives some idea of the features and gameplay options, as it lists Single Player, Multi-Player, Online Multiplayer, Local Multiplayer, Co-Op, Online Co-Op, Local Co-Op, Shared/Split Screen, and Cross-Platform Multiplayer.

The announcement follows a tease last week with an image of the stylized "III" which left the title of the game as part of the filename.

Warning: The trailer features some gruesome imagery which may not be suitable for all audiences and is definitely NSFW.

[video=youtube;OcP0WdH7rTs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP0WdH7rTs[/video]​

Last edited by a moderator:

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

There are hints that it is a continuation, most obviously Bhaal's symbol plastered around the place.

A sequel does not have to feature the same protagonist.

MarkB

Legend
It's literally showing the city of Baldur's Gate in the trailer. But otherwise yeah, BG3 naming was a cynical act because it's not a continuation of the first 2 or even BG dark alliance.

But I get why they did it.

Really I don't care that much because I'm more interested in what it is, then I would be in an actually continuation of the original games, it's the first proper 5e game in the current realms. That is exciting.

There's also the fact that it's coming out 19 years after Baldur's Gate 2. Making it a direct sequel that relied heavily upon familiarity with the previous installments would make it pretty inaccessible to those who've never played them.

A new story in a similar vein, with some nods and easter-eggs to the originals, seems like a far better option.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
I think of it in the same vein as the early Dragon Quest games; each game was set in the same world, but later in the timeline.

Staffan

Legend
There's also the fact that it's coming out 19 years after Baldur's Gate 2. Making it a direct sequel that relied heavily upon familiarity with the previous installments would make it pretty inaccessible to those who've never played them.

A new story in a similar vein, with some nods and easter-eggs to the originals, seems like a far better option.
It's not like we haven't seen other game series where the constituent games only had some thematic things in common.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
It's a game set in Baldur's Gate. A case can be made it is the third such game.

The rest can be explained by the devs desire to capitalize on the goodwill of the series.

Technically, Baldur's Gate 2 didn't feature the city of Baldur's Gate at all.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases