D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

dave2008

Legend
Do you possibly have a rough draft for Primus? I may need him in my campaign.

At this point I only have a concept for it. This version of Primus will definitely be more powerful than the 1e version. I don't believe it has received stats in any other version. I have him tentatively place at CR 40, but that may change. I plan for Primus to posses one of the Elder Spells which makes it one of the 8 most powerful entities in existence.

That being said, I can add him to my to do list:

1) Finish Demon Lords and Princes - by the end of the year
2) Finish Iggwilv - by the end of the year
3) Finish Bahamut - 1st of next yeaer
4) Primus?

dave2008

Legend
Awesome! Any tips on working something up myself in the meantime?

Well, unfortunately I don't have a lot of advice on Primus per se, but this is my general approach:

1) Collect the information on the monster's stats in each edition they were published.
2) Understand how the monster ranks (in terms of power) compared to other epic monster of its edition
3) Collect lore from each edition
4) Compare to monsters of relatively the same amount of power in 5th edition. In this case you can pick a few monsters of similar CR to your intended CR from the monsters in this tread.
5) Re-skin a monster that is similar.
6) Add powers that are unique to the monster you want to make, either from published stats or lore, or what theme you want for the monster

That's about it. If you like, I can give you the word template I use and the CR calculation spreadsheets I've made.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Excel spreadsheets and Word documents I use to create these epic monsters to the Downloads page linked to in the OP. These are the most up to date versions for those who already have them. I have added some instructions and an improved DPR calculator based on the one [MENTION=6801226]MechaTarrasque[/MENTION] gave me.

Please note: There are 2 excel spreadsheets in the download, but they are the same file. I accidentally posted it twice and now I can't seem to delete one.

dave2008

Legend
I have uploaded Pale Night to the Demon Lords section. She is the last of the currently planned Demon Lords (I hope to add more later). Now on to finish the Demon Princes!

Remove ads