Preview of Halflings And Gnomes From Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes Surface Online

Over at Polygon they have some interesting preview images from the upcoming Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes from Wizards of the Coast. Among the things that we will see in the new book will be some expansions to halflings and gnomes. The word is that there aren't any major revisions to the races, but that the new content will build upon what is already in the Player's Handbook.

Over at Polygon they have some interesting preview images from the upcoming Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes from Wizards of the Coast. Among the things that we will see in the new book will be some expansions to halflings and gnomes. The word is that there aren't any major revisions to the races, but that the new content will build upon what is already in the Player's Handbook.

They say about the book "Tome of Foes is narrated by Mordenkainen, a wizard created by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax for his World of Greyhawk campaign. It will contain lots of new content for the 5th edition, including a lengthy investigation of demons, devils, several kinds of elves and duergar, the infamous dark dwarves."

"Also included in the book will be new tools for building player characters, including halflings and gnomes. Both races of tiny folk were included in the 5th edition Player’s Handbook, which was published in 2014. Tome of Foes doesn’t revise them, but simply adds more depth and color to each race’s backstory."

The release date for Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes is May 29, 2018.

dungeonguru

Villager
Embarrassed to say I don't recall that deity - where is she mentioned?

In the Living Greyhawk Journal #3 - she was a hero-god sponsored by Brandobaris. This was a short-lived Living Greyhawk 3.0 thing. They revisited a ton of hero-gods for Greyhawk specifically (like Daern, Kelanen) and then expanded for each of the Greyhawk human racial factions and even had new gnome and half-orc hero-gods.

Herosmith14

First Post
So, I haven't minded a lot of the small people art in this addition so far, and I think the pictures of the scientist and the adventurers are fine (heck, without context I might have thought they were humans or elves), but that first pick is just... ouch. owowowowow. I can see why people are up in arms about proportions on that one at least.

Satyrn

First Post
So, I haven't minded a lot of the small people art in this addition so far, and I think the pictures of the scientist and the adventurers are fine (heck, without context I might have thought they were humans or elves), but that first pick is just... ouch. owowowowow. I can see why people are up in arms about proportions on that one at least.

The proportions are definitely off, but when it comes to art getting the technical stuff correct is only a priority for some styles. This was clearly a deliberate choice, intended to evoke a certain feeling, so I'm just gonna go ahead and say those people who are up in arms about it are blowing the issue out of proportion.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Grrrr. They kept with the hideous PHB Halfling art style. That is a major turn-off.

Dualazi

First Post
Wow, that halfling art is astoundingly bad. Feels like I'm going to get whiplash from going to halflings from the incredible abishai art. I'm actually fairly bothered by this, I wrote the halfling art off as a fluke in the PHB, but evidently someone at wizards actually considers this a good idea for art direction. What about those malformed little creatures is supposed to make me play one?

Everyone talking about the Halfling picture, but no chat about the amazing Gnome picture!

Because it's extremely predictable and boring. "Oh noes, another cuh-razy mishap of gnomish invention, that's an idea that's never been done before."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wow, that halfling art is astoundingly bad. Feels like I'm going to get whiplash from going to halflings from the incredible abishai art. I'm actually fairly bothered by this, I wrote the halfling art off as a fluke in the PHB, but evidently someone at wizards actually considers this a good idea for art direction. What about those malformed little creatures is supposed to make me play one?

Because it's extremely predictable and boring. "Oh noes, another cuh-razy mishap of gnomish invention, that's an idea that's never been done before."
They tested and settled on a Halfling art style during the Next playtest, I wouldn't expect to see that change any year soon.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Everyone talking about the Halfling picture, but no chat about the amazing Gnome picture!

i like both gnome pictures, for sure. I also like the actual art style of the halfling image. If the art direction didn’t call for bobble head halflings, we’d all be talking about how good that image is.

Grrrr. They kept with the hideous PHB Halfling art style. That is a major turn-off.

hideous phb art direction. The art style is nice, the proportions of the characters is a result of art direction.

This is how people wanted their Halflings according to the playtest and concept art.

View attachment 97475
That examples isn’t as bad as most of the actual 5e halfling art. I mean, it still looks like a person who should have a Dex penalty, but it’s not a malformed monstrosity or chibi art/funco style, at least.

Remove ads

Remove ads