How come BBEG coming out never have magic weapons or items?

Gwarok

Explorer
So how come even guys like Grazzt seem to have non magical weapons? I get that all their attacks are effectively magic, but almost no weapon wielding monsters seem to be able to find even a +1 weapon to use? You think being Demon lords or even just a high ranking Marilith they could swing something like that.

Shiroiken

Legend
Because they leave it up to the DM to decide if they want to give out those magic items. Remember that if the PCs kill it, they would get those magic items. This limits what the DM may want to use, especially if they don't want to hand out certain items. As the DM, you could easily decide to give grazzit a +3 vorpal unholy avenger if you wanted to, just make sure you adjust the CR accordingly.

Oofta

Legend
I give the bad guys magical weapons depending on the campaign and whether I think I need to up the threat level a little bit. Like [MENTION=6775477]Shiroiken[/MENTION] mentioned, traditionally most people don't because the PCs will consider it as loot. In addition, the default assumption is that magic items are fairly rare.

I have a fairly high magic world so I give the bad guys weapons as appropriate. However, they are frequently cursed and only usable by evil creatures (for various reasons depending on campaign). Since I don't allow evil characters and a blade that needs to be fueled by the blood of an innocent isn't going to be have any value on the open market, I don't have the loot problem. Unless, of course I want to.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
In general, I tend to have treasure as a reward for engaging in the exploration pillar. Experience points are awarded for overcoming challenges in the combat pillar. So usually my villains and such do not have appreciable magic items or gold on them.

dave2008

Legend
The game is balanced around the general assumptions that you don't need magic weapons. So monsters don't have magic equipment (+1 weapons or armor). If you are using magic weapons and armor, and you want to maintain balance, you should give monsters magic weapons and armor too.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Because it leaves it to the GM to decide what items they have, if any. In 5e a 20th level PC should have about 5 permanent magical items in total. It is very possible than that +1 axe you found at level 6 is still your best weapon at level 15...

aco175

Legend
I would guess that Wizards puts out a standard module where DMs can add some things like magic. I can also see where named monsters have specific items like the Wand of Orcus and such.

G

Guest 6801328

I don't think the OP is making an argument about what treasure you should get for killing powerful BBEGs. He's saying that an immortal demon lord, after (presumably) millennia of killing good guys and taking their loot, would likely have found at least a +1 sword to use after all that time.

In other words, he's making an argument about setting consistency, not game balance.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I don't think the OP is making an argument about what treasure you should get for killing powerful BBEGs. He's saying that an immortal demon lord, after (presumably) millennia of killing good guys and taking their loot, would likely have found at least a +1 sword to use after all that time.

In other words, he's making an argument about setting consistency, not game balance.
The OP asked a question. “Why don’t BBEGs have magic items?” The answer to that question is that if BBEG has a +1 sword, the PCs have a +1 sword (once they beat him.) Whether the OP was trying to make a statement about game balance or not, that is the reason BBEGs don’t have magic items.

Coroc

Hero
Well they actually do. At least in my game this is a common way of the party getting their good stuff (amongst others).

While I do like 5e no magic items needed assumption, I would use this only in a low magic campaign (Great for a pure Ravenloft campaign e.g., makes them gothic mobs much more fearsome if you have to find that silverblade to hurt them e.g.). Since my actual game is medium to high magic i tend to hand out magic items a bit more generous, and it does not hurt since the PCs are not minmax players.

Remove ads