D&D 5E What to do with players that always roll well

S

Sunseeker

If you've physically seen him roll well with his dice then you don't have a lot of options. You can either accuse him of cheating either directly by saying so, or indirectly by requiring him to use a set of dice you feel are "fair". Forcing a player to part with their dice can sometimes cause a row, especially if you attempt to dance around the cheating issue. It may seem rude, but if you're going to accuse someone of cheating it may be better to be blunt about it.

Personally, unless the guy is rolling crits several times in a row on a regular basis I wouldn't worry about it.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I'm not sure buoyancy is an indication of likely bias at the table, but an interesting test nonetheless!
It wasn't the buoyancy itself. The buoyancy just allowed me to immediately see that one side was lighter, thus the dice were weighted to favor certain numbers. I did move the dice, and most bobbed back to the same number, or at least edge/point.

spinozajack

Banned
Banned
Thought of that but players kind of get attached to them especially those that roll unbelievably well!

It's very easy to test for loaded dice.

My best friend used to be a die hard dice fudger. I didn't care too much as a fellow player, but it did get ackward and the DM eventually caught him and booted him. He deserved it.

spinozajack

Banned
Banned
This.

Most of the time, I use point buy for stats, for a variety of reasons. When I do allow dice for stat generation, though, it's always done at the game table, with everyone present. Stat generation is done in turns, with the first player declaring their intent to start rolling. The GM must acknowledge this, or it doesn't count. The next 4d6 rolls are recorded and then the next player takes his turn. Hit points are somewhat more casual, just requiring the player to get my attention -- though I prefer average HP, too.

You should probably use point buy and averages for online games. I would certainly expect players to cheat. Sad, but true. How can you trust online dice rollers? I wonder how this works for online table top games. In-game you can analyze the rolls for fairness using the logs, but for a one time thing like stats I wouldn't allow anything but point buy and average HP.

In a home game people who cheat are brought aside and told to knock it off. If it continues then comes the boot.

Powergamers are not the same as cheaters. I'm a powergamer as a player (within reason, I avoid broken or OP builds but I do pick the best combos that I find interesting) and I never cheat. If anything, you don't need to be a powergamer if you are a cheater, because you can have an 8 strength and always hit anyway.

If I was a cheater, and I used loaded dice, they would be loaded in favor of 15-16-17 instead of 18-19-20 values which would be too obvious. Nobody notices the fact that you always hit, in a game with bounded accuracy, since you rarely need more than a 15 to hit anyway in 5th edition.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Keep in mind that even basically honest players can be bias in how they adjudicate cocked rolls. And it is not just that player but other players getting excited can be quick to say "No that is cocked!" for a bad roll or "Yes! He hit" for a good roll, when the die stopped on an uneven surface.

If the gaming group is modest sized, I think rolling on a box top in front of everyone can add to the fun. When the DM does it, too, it gives the players hints about the power level of the monsters that are fun for the players to speculate about. "He rolled a 3 and hint? With power attack 5? <gulp>"

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Dude's cheating.

All roll in the open...flat surface...middle of the table. If you, the DM, doesn't see it, it didn't happen.

End of all problems.

Chryssis

Explorer
some people can also control the roll regarldess of the balance of the dice. just through practice and setting the direction they are holding the dice in their hand. I watched a video a few months of a guy explaining it and he would call out the number that would appear, , then throw the dice. works best with 1-2 dice, but I suppose could be possible with 4 or at least to fix 2 of the dice for stats and let the other 2 be more random. Maybe just watch how he handles the dice as well. see if he is paying attention to what side of the dice is facing his palm.

You could also theme it as a craft project. get a box decorate it to fit your game world, and give it "grass" something to interferre with the rotation, so everyone throws into there and the weighting of the dice becomes moot because of all the obstructions.

You could also theme it as a craft project. get a box decorate it to fit your game world, and give it "grass" something to interferre with the rotation, so everyone throws into there and the weighting of the dice becomes moot because of all the obstructions.

Or, just make a general dice corral and have everyone roll using a dice cup.

[...] a normal random die has the numbers randomised. A 20 might be next to a 3, a 10 and a 15.[...]
A normal die has opposing sides that add up to a consistent value. A normal d20 will always have the 20 opposite the 1, and the 13 opposite the 8; in the same way that a normal d6 will always have the 1 opposite the 6, and the 3 opposite the 4.

Remove ads