D&D 5E Ad&d 2nd magic.items to d&d 5th magic items

rigthegear

First Post
So I get some old ad&d 2nd edition of encyclopedia magic item vol. 1-4. Their any guide for fifth edition ? I seen that Wizard released their guide but if confusing and not step by step. Do anyone has any guide or website I can use?

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
Magic items in 5e are toned down compared to 2e, largely because of bounded accuracy. For example, you're not going to see +3 items in 5e until the high teens. In AD&D you probably saw them around level 10 or so. If I were going to use 1e or 2e magic items in 5e, I'd probably cut the power of them in half, or treat some of the better ones like legendary or artifacts.

rigthegear

First Post
Magic items in 5e are toned down compared to 2e, largely because of bounded accuracy. For example, you're not going to see +3 items in 5e until the high teens. In AD&D you probably saw them around level 10 or so. If I were going to use 1e or 2e magic items in 5e, I'd probably cut the power of them in half, or treat some of the better ones like legendary or artifacts.

I start to drop the + and damage down that but i want to had a referee guide.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I think someone has already gone through and made a massive document that updated the magic items from the magic item encyclopedia to 5E. I want to say it was like [MENTION=1210]the Jester[/MENTION] or [MENTION=37579]Jester Canuck[/MENTION]? I'm not at all sure it was either the two of them, but I know SOMEONE did, because I have a copy of it saved on my hard drive.

If you check EN World's downloads page and did a search., maybe it's found there? Can't truly remember. But someone's already did it, that I know.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I second the suggestion given by [MENTION=6803664]ccs[/MENTION]

There is no universally correct method of determining how to convert items because there is no universally correct function of magic items in the 5th edition game. It is far better to assess each on your own case-by-case basis than to assume someone else's opinion of what items should be like will match yours well enough not to result in you having to tweak or ignore items because you don't find them appropriate.

S'mon

Legend
I've been running 10 sessions of a Pathfinder adventure in 5e and I've not had any need to change/convert the items yet; it makes for a high magic campaign by 5e standards but that's ok. For 2e I guess there is obvious stuff like Bracers of Defence in 5e always give +2 to unarmoured AC, whereas in 2e they give AC 8 to AC 2.

Some suggestions:

Weapon & armour Pluses - halve pluses, round down in low magic campaign, round up in high magic campaign. Or else +1 > +1, +2 & +3 > +2, +3, +4 & +5 > +3 is probably the best.

Damage bonuses - increase these by roughly 75% (anything from 50% to 100% works), eg a +2 to damage might be +1d6, a 5d6 fireball > 8d8.

Effects like invisibility & fly generally work as-is but you may want to require either Concentration or limited duration (many official 5e items don't though).

Remove ads