D&D 5E Illithid PC

Elon Tusk

Explorer
According to classic D&D lore, there is no "surviving" becoming an illithid; if the tadpole fulfills its biological purpose, it takes over the host's form completely and irrevocably. A "half-illithid" comes about when a tadpole is inserted into the brain of a non-human. They are not as powerful as true illithids, but are much stronger than normal specimens of their race. My point in all that is that a "half-illithid" isn't going to be something that could work in this instance, at least by RAW canon.
When you say "classic D&D lore," do you mean pre-5e? If so, I would think it fair game to change what a half-illithid means in 5e home-brew, especially if the term "illithoid" is used. The description in Volo's (p. 72) uses "humanoid" instead of "human" as a host with no mention of "half-illithid" that I can see.

As for surviving, I would say if the process is interrupted or if the tadpole is not strong enough to eat the entire brain there may be a chance that an illithoid is formed.

It IS possible for an illithid to sever ties with and flee its community and Elder Brain, though this is normally done in the pursuit of magical knowledge and eventual lichdom. So that could work as a background if it fits what your player wants to do.
I would allow but not require that.

Realistically, I think your race writeup will work fine. The biggest hurdle the PC will have to overcome, as others have noted, will be the fact that they will terrify almost everyone they meet, who will likely resort to violence immediately. It's not wise to take chances with mind flayers. That said, there is precedent for illithgids to trade with and have strong connections with other races, from fellow Underdark denizens to basically everyone in the Astromundi Cluster. I guess if you want to play it that way, there's no reason ind flayers couldn't be an accepted (if distasteful) trading partner to a kingdom. As their reproductive cycle is a closely guarded secret, even that might not deter greedy merchants from dealing with the illithids. And that's assuming the creatures are well-known enough to even be feared and distrusted beyond their obviously alien appearance.
I think it just depends on the campaign world.
If mind flayers are known to surface worlders, then the illithid would likely need to hide itself under cloaks or with disguise/alter self spells.
If mind flayer are only known in the under dark, these PCs would be strangers, grotesque, but not hated.
Though either way, they might be hunted by other illithid and gith alike.

I think some other flavor ideas like "Food for Thought" (Volo's p. 71) that says they acquire stray, fleeting memories from brains they eat and cultural sophistication such as feeding on gridlock brains makes them pay almost no attention to crafting/styling clothing.
I'll also point out that Illithoids could use the Personality Traits, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws on pp. 74-75 of Volo's.

FYI: I'm making changes to it at http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByQwUAh2eb (also found on the first post of this thread).

Last edited:

According to classic D&D lore, there is no "surviving" becoming an illithid; if the tadpole fulfills its biological purpose, it takes over the host's form completely and irrevocably. A "half-illithid" comes about when a tadpole is inserted into the brain of a non-human. They are not as powerful as true illithids, but are much stronger than normal specimens of their race. My point in all that is that a "half-illithid" isn't going to be something that could work in this instance, at least by RAW canon.
There is no "RAW" in lore.
The DM can always rule that there is exceptions (like good drow or archliches).

Plus, you can always add to lore. That's not a change, it's an addition.
It's super easy to justify. The Elder Brain consumes weak and infirm tadpoles. But what if one escaped? And what if that lacking tadpole was implanted? It'd be rare exception to the norm, but it could be an illithid that retains the memories of its "host".

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
... Or simply having broken contact with the Elder Brain seriously reduces an individual's Ilithid's "oomph". It's such a simple explanation, doesn't require convoluted "half eaten brain by weak tadpole" constructs.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
When you say "classic D&D lore," do you mean pre-5e? If so, I would think it fair game to change what a half-illithid means in 5e home-brew, especially if the term "illithoid" is used. The description in Volo's (p. 72) uses "humanoid" instead of "human" as a host with no mention of "half-illithid" that I can see.

When I wrote that, yes, I meant "pre-5e," since I had actually forgotten the chapter in Volo's Guide. There was an entire book about mind flayers in 2nd Edition (The Illithiad), and a chapter of a book in 3rd (Lords of Madness). Interestingly, the term "humanoid" rather than "human" as a host for an illithid tadpole started in Lords of Madness (as far as I can tell); the "half-illithid" as the result of a non-human going through ceremorphosis is from the 3e Fiend Folio. Which predates the publication of Lords of Madness (never mind 5e and Volo's Guide), so I guess it's just an interesting footnote more than anything else.

Elon Tusk

Explorer
... Or simply having broken contact with the Elder Brain seriously reduces an individual's Ilithid's "oomph". It's such a simple explanation, doesn't require convoluted "half eaten brain by weak tadpole" constructs.
I think it could be left a mystery why the illithoids are different with half-brains and ex-elder brains two possibilities.
That kind of fits the unreliable narrator lore in Volo's.

When I wrote that, yes, I meant "pre-5e," since I had actually forgotten the chapter in Volo's Guide. There was an entire book about mind flayers in 2nd Edition (The Illithiad), and a chapter of a book in 3rd (Lords of Madness). Interestingly, the term "humanoid" rather than "human" as a host for an illithid tadpole started in Lords of Madness (as far as I can tell); the "half-illithid" as the result of a non-human going through ceremorphosis is from the 3e Fiend Folio. Which predates the publication of Lords of Madness (never mind 5e and Volo's Guide), so I guess it's just an interesting footnote more than anything else.
I appreciate the information. Having played 1st edition and now trying to catch up in 5th, those resources are good to know about.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
However, the proposal here is to make a playable race out of Flayers rather than have just one, which means in theory there could easily end up being several in the party and-or campaign. Tough to justify...
<shrug> Just because something is available as a PC option doesn't mean it's required to impact the setting justifications. Character building options aren't required to inform world-building.

Elon Tusk

Explorer
Just putting this here because the player who wanted me to make a Mind Flayer PC is now making a backstory with another player. The one wants to be an illithoid and the other his githzerai "prisoner" so they can try to infiltrate an elder brain colony. I know - they're crazy, but here's a Githzerai PC because it was a fairly easy build...

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1xHkOe--

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 10.45.14 AM.png

Chryssis

Explorer
So I was already going to comment but now seeing this most recent githzerai i think my point is stronger.

all versions of your mindflayer (unless i'm misreading something) are significantly weaker than any existing pc race. net -2 ability scores, last (or disadvantage) in initiave, and sunlight sensitivity for the ability to gain short range darkvision (30ft vs others 60 or 120)--dragon breath weapon +weak natural weapon, or magic res (like the gnome) + weak telepathy (like ghostwise halfling) and weak natural weapon, or telepathy + strong natural weapon.

to compare them to the gith you posted (who is supposed to be a "prisoner") +2net scores, unarmored defense, cantrip, 2 excellent spells 1/day plus zerth (not sure if this is only for monk/mystic but regardless, and additional exceptionally good spell) with no negatives

I would straight out remove the negative stats. so +2 int flat (already this is a 1 stat decrease compared to most races) to compare them to most comparable race would be dark elf, so they have 120ft darkvision vs 30ft, weapon proficiency vs weak natural weapon, spells/day vs dragonbreath or strong natural weapon vs magic res, +1 stats vs telepathy. this would imply the iniative penalty and the minus stats are too much over the top.

i wrote this quickly while kids running around so sorry if it isnt fully coherent i can come back to it later if i wasn't clear/didnt remember from my quick readthrough of the post.

best,

Elon Tusk

Explorer
So I was already going to comment but now seeing this most recent githzerai i think my point is stronger.

all versions of your mindflayer (unless i'm misreading something) are significantly weaker than any existing pc race. net -2 ability scores, last (or disadvantage) in initiave, and sunlight sensitivity for the ability to gain short range darkvision (30ft vs others 60 or 120)--dragon breath weapon +weak natural weapon, or magic res (like the gnome) + weak telepathy (like ghostwise halfling) and weak natural weapon, or telepathy + strong natural weapon.

to compare them to the gith you posted (who is supposed to be a "prisoner") +2net scores, unarmored defense, cantrip, 2 excellent spells 1/day plus zerth (not sure if this is only for monk/mystic but regardless, and additional exceptionally good spell) with no negatives

I would straight out remove the negative stats. so +2 int flat (already this is a 1 stat decrease compared to most races) to compare them to most comparable race would be dark elf, so they have 120ft darkvision vs 30ft, weapon proficiency vs weak natural weapon, spells/day vs dragonbreath or strong natural weapon vs magic res, +1 stats vs telepathy. this would imply the iniative penalty and the minus stats are too much over the top.

i wrote this quickly while kids running around so sorry if it isnt fully coherent i can come back to it later if i wasn't clear/didnt remember from my quick readthrough of the post.

best,

I appreciate the thoughts.
I loaded up on negatives on purpose since a lot of home-brew, mine included, tend to be over-powered.

I'll try bumping the initial ABS to include +1 Wisdom as well as increasing Darkvision to 120' and giving each 120' telepathy.
Because Alhoon get telepathy, I'm keeping Dexterity and Strength decrease by 1 but only giving the other two a -1 to an ABS.
I also changed their tentacle damage to psychic (like the Mind Flayer in the MM) and increased each of their natural weapon damage by die larger.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByQwUAh2eb

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I have to say that a renegade Ilithid working with a (possibly renegade) githzerai out of a common desire for revenge is ... well it's a bit gonzo, but it's pretty cool too.

In other news, I could have sworn that the githzerai's stats had been published already... am I wrong?

Remove ads