Character Narratives Preview from PRIMEVAL THULE

Here's another preview of the Primeval Thule campaign setting for D&D 5th Edition coming from Sasquatch Games. I already showed you the table of contents and the beastman warrior. This time it's one of the nineteen character narratives from the setting. "In 5e, narratives can be taken as an alternative to backgrounds. Narratives provide a small list of benefits thematically linked to the story and flavor of the specific narrative. At first level these features include skill training and usually a signature ability that provides a small combat benefit. As the character increases in level, additional benefits become available, reflecting a rise in stature or notoriety. At higher levels a narrative might grant an income, a title, or even followers!" (thanks to Fabrício for the scoop!)

For the original announcement, click here.

narrative-preview-p1.jpg

narrative-preview-p2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Imaro

Legend
This thread is an example of the type of confusion I am not looking forward too around assuming that readers are "savvy" enough to know that an "encounter power" is equivalent to a short rest ability (Or any other rules where non-existent game terminology is used). People are already suggesting an alternative to the short rest...that this ability is recharged when initiative is rolled... honestly I hadn't even considered that possibility but I can't rightly say they are wrong or right in their interpretation that it works that way. It'd be different if this was a vague area of 5e and the DM was supposed to make the call... but this is using language that doesn't even exist in the game then claiming... the reasoning behind using it is... Your players should be smart enough to know what we really meant... why not just say what you really meant??

MoutonRustique

Explorer
You think that's bad - there's a land to the North of me which I think was founded by a guy called Scot, because he called it Scot Land. No imagination, that man.

Dude! You live in place founded by a guy called "Eng" - what kind of name is that? Doesn't even end - just "eng..." it just hangs there. No follow through at all!

hehe

FYI, my place rocks : Kay-Bek ! (Québec) A strong and hard start and a convincing finish. Boom! Now, that's a name. :cool:

Rich Baker

First Post
[MENTION=55946]mach1.9pants[/MENTION] -- Hi, Mach. You've done a good job of reminding me that not every table plays like my table plays. We'll take another look at the wording on those narrative powers; easy enough to say "once per hour" instead of "once per encounter."

We definitely want you to feel like a Golden Sea Corsair several times a day, which is why we want a strong ability tied to the narrative that comes up frequently in fights. And we're deliberately pushing the boundaries a bit, because it's a low-magic setting and PCs might be looking to make up for a dearth of items with a little help from their narratives. Even so, once per hour would do that.

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I am always happy to hear from people who care about what we're doing!

Rich Baker
Sasquatch Game Studio

They are 100% NOT the functionally the same thing. That is a complete error in the way 5E works IMO. 4E yes, 5E no way at all. I played an online game (as a Paladin) last night, we had 5 encounters and not one Short Rest. An hour is along time when you are defending a keep. There was no chance to rest up for a whole hour. The same has applied for many of our sessions, getting an hour short rest is hard. So, IMO, you really need to decide what is the balancing device for this per encounter or per short rest. I am a backer of this, but I really don't want to be burned on mechanics that are not correct. That's how I see this, a BIG BIG problem, along with the shipping ~ I'll probably cancel my pledge, unless you can convince me to your way of looking at it. I look forward to your reasoning/reply, Rich.

EDIT: I answered before I saw there was more, so I will clarify. I have no problem with per encounter power, just that they MUST be around 1/2 to 1/3 as useful/powerful as an equivalent per short or long rest power/ability. Otherwise they will in no shape be balanced and an automatic pick for anyone. IME they'll be available to the PCs 2 or 3 times more often. The DMG agrees with that, as quoted above, 2-3 SR per day and a heck of a lot more encounters! And this has been my experience of 5E (3 dif groups and campaigns) Looking at those abilities some look pretty powerful for that IMO.

I already have the PFRPG PDF so I feel no need to get this for the fluff, which is most of the book. SO really I am buying it for a) the physical book, I love books! and b) good crunch. So the crunch needs to be near perfect for me. Esp at $35 shipping!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
In truth... it's the magic spells that have a duration of '1 Minute' that are basically the equivalent of the 4E "encounter powers". The spell lasts for 10 rounds, or basically about one fight.

I for one am really looking forward to this. I have always thought a campaign world that had the "Conan of The Isles" flavor would rock. I am hoping that there will be possible follow on information about the rest of the world. Lost Atlantean colony? New world?

Saplatt

Explorer
All kinds of action today! Fantasy grounds add-ons, deluxe packages with GM screens, and less than $100 from stretch goal #4!

[MENTION=55946]mach1.9pants[/MENTION] -- Hi, Mach. You've done a good job of reminding me that not every table plays like my table plays. We'll take another look at the wording on those narrative powers; easy enough to say "once per hour" instead of "once per encounter."

We definitely want you to feel like a Golden Sea Corsair several times a day, which is why we want a strong ability tied to the narrative that comes up frequently in fights. And we're deliberately pushing the boundaries a bit, because it's a low-magic setting and PCs might be looking to make up for a dearth of items with a little help from their narratives. Even so, once per hour would do that.

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I am always happy to hear from people who care about what we're doing!

Rich Baker
Sasquatch Game Studio
Thanks for your reply. I still am not totally convinced, but I'll keep watch! More snippets would be cool :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases