Monte Cook On Fumble Mechanics

Fumble mechanics have been part of the tabletop RPG experience for decades. Even where games don't have a fumble mechanic, many players house rule them in. A fumble is the opposite of a critical hit (or critical success) - its most common manifestation is a roll of 1 in a d20-based game (with a roll of 20 being the critical). Veteran game designer Monte Cook has some thoughts on fumble mechanics, and talks about them and how his Numenera RPG (and all of the Cypher System line) use an "intrusion" instead.

Fumble mechanics have been part of the tabletop RPG experience for decades. Even where games don't have a fumble mechanic, many players house rule them in. A fumble is the opposite of a critical hit (or critical success) - its most common manifestation is a roll of 1 in a d20-based game (with a roll of 20 being the critical). Veteran game designer Monte Cook has some thoughts on fumble mechanics, and talks about them and how his Numenera RPG (and all of the Cypher System line) use an "intrusion" instead.

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 18.08.30.png

It can be a divisive issue. If you're like me, you've experimented with fumble mechanics of various kinds over the years. When I was 12, I remember one character accidentally shooting a fellow character in the back of the head and killing him. Monte Cook's thoughts on the matter are that "we don’t want to run games that “punish” players for rolling bad. A GM intrusion isn’t meant to be “punishment”—it’s meant to make things more interesting. But a fumble, for many people, just seems like a moment for everyone to laugh at them, and that’s not always fun."

If you look around, you'll find dozens of fumble house rules for most games. They clearly provide a draw to those who like to tinker with their games. But many games deliberately do not include any such rule.

You can read the rest of Monte's article here. What are your thoughts on fumble mechanics?

Imaro

Legend
It's less that they should be the only results as per ideal, but more of an issue that they often are as per practice. How Natural 1s play out in common practice is the critical issue. As a player I have often dealt with my share of GMs over the years who do interpret fumbles along those narrow lines of character ineptitude and silliness. The easy thing to do would be to just label them all bad GMs, but I think that the problem extends more from the wider gaming culture than just GM inexperience or ineptitude. It's why I find the GM Intrusion mechanic more narratively open and a breath of fresh air. It may have always been the case regarding Natural 1s in terms of what they represent, but sometimes it's the little things in the rules that make the difference.

Honestly I find it surprising that some of the posters in this thread have such a limited view on what a fumble can entail (and vehemently stick to their preconceptions even when their is no logical rationale to do so)... especially given the fact that they have (at least insofar as I can tell) a wealth of gaming experience in different games/systems and are much more avid fans of discussing game theory, techniques, etc. than I believe I am. I don't think it's gaming culture per say... but I'm not sure what it is since even now there are people in this very thread who...

1. Don't like character ineptness based fumbles/"silly" results, but...
2. will vehemently argue a 1/fumble must be silly and must be framed in a manner similar to a character loosing his eye or beheading his ally through his own fault...
3. There are actual table based fumble systems that use things outside the character's abilities to base fumbles on such as the environment, shoddy equipment, etc. to counter their limited examples.

Aldarc

Legend
Honestly I find it surprising that some of the posters in this thread have such a limited view on what a fumble can entail (and vehemently stick to their preconceptions even when their is no logical rationale to do so)... especially given the fact that they have (at least insofar as I can tell) a wealth of gaming experience in different games/systems and are much more avid fans of discussing game theory, techniques, etc. than I believe I am. I don't think it's gaming culture per say... but I'm not sure what it is since even now there are people in this very thread who...

1. Don't like character ineptness based fumbles/"silly" results, but...
2. will vehemently argue a 1/fumble must be silly and must be framed in a manner similar to a character loosing his eye or beheading his ally through his own fault...
3. There are actual table based fumble systems that use things outside the character's abilities to base fumbles on such as the environment, shoddy equipment, etc. to counter their limited examples.
I don't think it's so much that these posters insist that fumbles must be interpreted in that manner, but, rather, that they recognize that fumbles are often interpreted in that manner. Again, this is theory vs. practice at work. In theory, this should not be the case or must be the case. In practice, however, it commonly is. Sure, that may be different when sitting at the table of an experienced GM who knows , but such "vets" are likely a minority of the overall GMs.

But one does not exactly have to look far in terms of the wider culture of the d20 Natural 1 to see how this often plays out in practice. How many memes are out there on the internet mimicking "pet shaming" with notes, but about shaming d20s that roll a lot of Natural 1s? E.g., "I cause my owner to do nothing but chop off at their own leg or shoot arrows at their allies." The messages are often about low rolls, but just as many provide evidence regarding the common consequences of rolling Natural 1s in a lot of games. Sure the memes are comical, but they are also illustrative of what Natural 1s mean for a number of tables.

Imaro

Legend
I don't think it's so much that these posters insist that fumbles must be interpreted in that manner, but, rather, that they recognize that fumbles are often interpreted in that manner. Again, this is theory vs. practice at work. In theory, this should not be the case or must be the case. In practice, however, it commonly is. Sure, that may be different when sitting at the table of an experienced GM who knows , but such "vets" are likely a minority of the overall GMs.

But one does not exactly have to look far in terms of the wider culture of the d20 Natural 1 to see how this often plays out in practice. How many memes are out there on the internet mimicking "pet shaming" with notes, but about shaming d20s that roll a lot of Natural 1s? E.g., "I cause my owner to do nothing but chop off at their own leg or shoot arrows at their allies." The messages are often about low rolls, but just as many provide evidence regarding the common consequences of rolling Natural 1s in a lot of games. Sure the memes are comical, but they are also illustrative of what Natural 1s mean for a number of tables.

I don't think those show the "common" results... the reason they are funny is because they show the extreme result. I mean if the common fumble result is beheading or loosing an eye and fumbles become more common as one rises in level... you'd think there'd be a multitude of stories about maimed and mutilated characters achieving the higher levels of the game... and yet they are strangely absent...

Any way I don't believe there's a way for either of us to convince the other at this point and I do get your point, I just think in the wild it's not really as common (especially with the decline of adversarial DM'ing) as you might think it is. I also think there are plenty of players who just don't think that a 1 showing their character being inept is that big of a deal. Sometimes I think the internet rpg community is slightly out of sync with the wider realm of players... but then again this could just be my own experiences as opposed to being common.

Celebrim

Legend
And that's where I would continue to disagree with your point and see that as a mischaracterization of the Cypher System. If you are just going to repeat that line, then it's clear this conversation is not moving forward.

I don't frankly care that you continue to disagree since it has become abundantly clear that you aren't basing your disagreement on any point of reason. First you claimed it was a gross mischaracterization that a missed bowshot could cause orc reinforcements to appear, even though that particular scenario was one endorsed by a proponent of the system who ought to know. Unable to feel any embarrassment once I pointed that out, you've gone on to defend now how reasonable it is that orcs appear as a result of a missed bowshot and still persist in claiming I'm being unreasonable. Yet you cannot actually point out where any of my claims are incorrect or how I am actually mischaracterizing the system. I've not merely repeated that line; I've explained it.

If in fact the orc reinforcements aren't pulled out of the air, then it must be that they are part of the established myth of the fiction, so that there is a definite limit to the number of orc reinforcements available, and when those reinforcements are encountered and slain, further investigation of the complex will be simplified because areas which were formerly guarded will now be emptied. That is to say these orc reinforcements have concrete existence in the myth prior to appearing that constrains the GM or which, more precisely, the GM allows himself to be constrained by. This is what happens when orc (or norkers, or hill giants, or bandits, or whatever) reinforcements occur as a natural result of the orcs using their available defined and limited resources, as for example in classic modules like B2 Keep on the Borderlands (or Temple of Elemental Evil, or Forgotten Temple of Thardizun, or Steading of the Hill Giant Chieftain). This is what happens when I write down in my prep that there are 57 Phanaton in the village and detail the spells, items, and weapons that they have access to. I am limiting my own power to challenge the PCs during actual play to what I judge is fair and reasonable for the fiction, rather than trusting myself in the heat and stress of running a game to decide what resources are fair and reasonable.

But its not what is happening in this case. In this case the additional reinforcements are being written into the fiction at the time the '1' is thrown, invented on the spot, because the '1' is thrown and a complication is needed. The reinforcements would not exist otherwise. They are not being drawn from a limited pool of resources, but added to the fiction at that moment. There was no possible way to spot or observe those 'hidden' orcs before they leaped out and no chance of them dying by being engulfed in flames that washed the area, because they weren't anywhere concrete until needed as a complication and would have just jumped out of somewhere else. They appeared out of thin air wherever it was deemed plausible for them to appear at that moment. They stepped out from behind the fig leaves having been added to the fiction just a moment before. But you cannot admit those simple facts, because it would expose even to yourself how ridiculous your hyperventilating about me pointing out obvious facts about GM Intrusion as "unfairly hyperbolic misconstruction or misreading of the Cypher System and its GM Intrusion, as well as what Charles Ryan and Monte Cook have written" especially given that the example was very much along the lines of what Charles Ryan had actually written just a few posts earlier.

The reason this conversation is going no where is that in an effort to not look like a clown, you just keep digging the hole you are in deeper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Celebrim

Legend
As for the Cypher system... let's not get Monte's preferences confused with the actual GM intrusion mechanic of the system.

Exactly. I don't mind the mechanic, I just think Monte's claim that it is almost always better to insert the complication as something tangential or unrelated to the actor of the proposition is wrong, because for most groups the risk of disassociated mechanics eventually offending a player is probably higher than the risk that color of momentary incompetence would hurt a player's feelings. And further, that if you are trying to avoid the color of momentary incompetence, nothing you can do is going to avoid that completely, and their are better approaches than dissociated mechanics anyway - namely having the target of the action make a believable countermove. It's not like we expect heroes to wade through all mooks without difficulty. The mooks fight back regularly, thereby increasing the esteem we have for the hero because he overcame more serious opponents. This is for example, why the Empire needed to win in the second movie, so that the eventual triumph would seem all the more worthy.

It's also why sometimes character's in a fiction winning against lesser more balanced odds can seem more exciting than winning against seemingly impossible odds. Winning against 2:1 odds often is more exciting than winning against 50:1 odds. Because when the heroes win against seemingly impossible odds, it feels like something the author did by fiat and not the character's he created by their skill and courage, or else that their foes were simply impossibly competent rather than the heroes actually being worthy. Fearing to let the mooks fight back or gain the advantage for fear that the heroes might momentarily appear incompetent, merely diminishes the heroes in the long run.

My complaint would be for example, when Charles proposed counter-moves for the orcs, they once again felt added to the fiction and not well attached to it. I mean one of the big things that traditionally has made fumble tables seem silly is that in some system they didn't pass a reasonableness test, resulting in things happening that didn't feel reasonable. That same issue is going to be present when you ad hoc as well.

If I was advising GM's playing the Cypher system how to run complications well, I'd spend a lot of time talking about Chekov's Gun and it's utility when scene framing. I wouldn't be endorsing the idea that players are right to feel bad when their characters make mistakes and how we ought to be endorsing that approach to the game.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Fashionably late. And for those of you who TL;DR the above posts...

My preferred system doesn't pick on the 1 of a d20 by calling it a super-failure. In fact, if the GM still manages to get a lower result than the PC, a 1 can be good! If clarity is needed, the PC can re-roll against his first roll, and if the second roll is lower, yeah, something bad probably happens.

Or there's my current fixation: roll a 1, and "Wizard shot the food!"

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't frankly care that you continue to disagree since it has become abundantly clear that you aren't basing your disagreement on any point of reason.

Dude, you are done here. Move on to a conversation where you can say something constructive, and not insult people. Please don't post in this thread again.

pemerton

Legend
Regardless of how you want to characterize it, the truth is that these complications - however plausible - are introduced into the fiction at that moment that action is attempted.

<snip>

indeed it is the missed bow shot that conjures them into being.
This makes no sense. And the first sentence equivocates on the meaning of the word "action"

The bow shot is an action that occurs in the fiction, and the missed bow shot is an event that occurs in the fiction. These are, therefore, imaginary, imagined actions and events. They have no actual causal powers - but causal results can be imagined in the fiction, with extrapolation within the fiction being constrained by various imagined causal laws. Such results might typically include the arrow landing on the ground and breaking, or the arrow sticking in a tree next to the intended target, or the arrow hitting an unintended person, etc.

I doubt that there is a single Cypher System GM or player who has ever imagined that, within the fiction, the missed bow shot causes a trumpet to appear and be sounded.

Now, in the real world at the gaming table, an action occurs - namely, the roll of a d20. And that action has real causal powers and results in the occurrence of a real (not imaginary) event: the roll of a 1. The occurrence of this real event then leads the participants in the game to introduce certain new elements into the fiction. One of those elements is dictated by the rules: namely, the arrow misses. (I suspect the rules are silent on whether the miss means that the arrow lodges in a tree, or breaks on the ground, or . . . , but they clearly don't allow the miss to be narrated as the hitting of another person simply in virtue of being a miss.)

The second element that is introduced into the fiction is the GM's "incursion". What this is is not dictated by the rules, other than that (i) it must be a plausible extrapolation from the existing state of the fiction, and (ii) it must escalate the challenge in some fashion. (These rules therefore prohibit using, say, the Wand of Wonder table or the Wild Surge table for determining the nature of the incursion.)

It's almost beyond obvious that a significant number of RPGers don't particularly care for the ruleset just described, because they prefer that the only narration introduced into the fiction as a result of the die rolling action be an event that, in the fiction, can be imagined as being causally downstream of the imaginary action of making the attack. That is an aesthetic preference. (Sometimes this can be described as a preference for "immersion", or "actor stance", or "non-dissocated mechanics", or "process simulation". None of those descriptions has any magical power, but for different players or play-styles they can sometimes point to some interesting element of the aesthetic preference in question.)

But it is just wrong to try and affirm that preference by saying, of those who do not share it, that in their games missed bow shots cause trumpets to appear. Because that assertion assumes what is known to be false, namely (i) that they share the preference, hence (ii) that they treat all narration resulting from the die roll as concerning imagined events that, in the fiction, are causally downstream of the imagined action of making the attack, hence (iii) that, in their games, missed bow shots cause trumpets to appear from thin air.

There is no need to affirm false descriptions of other people's games, which are known to be false, in order to express an aesthetic preference about game design and game play.

Monte claims that it is better that usually the complication introduced by GM Intrusion be one which is not associated with the actor, or necessarily even with the target, but rather be like random coincidences invoked by some diabolic spirit that hates the number '1' or what you call "a sort of organized chaos effect". But I don't agree that that is necessarily or even often a better approach, I think it one fraught with problems regardless of the system you are playing
Again, this reiterates the false description of others' play (because the rolling of the number is an event in the real world, and is not part of the imagined fiction and hence has no imagined causal relationship to any event that occurs within the fiction).

Also, you haven't really articulated what these problems are. Upthread you have talked about GM antagonism, but haven't given any actual examples from actual play. What's an actual example of the GM Intrusion mechanic going haywire because it doesn't mandate that the imagined causal origin of the incursion event be the imagined action whose outcome within the ficiton is being determined by rolling a die in the real world?

First you claimed it was a gross mischaracterization that a missed bowshot could cause orc reinforcements to appear, even though that particular scenario was one endorsed by a proponent of the system who ought to know. Unable to feel any embarrassment once I pointed that out, you've gone on to defend now how reasonable it is that orcs appear as a result of a missed bowshot

<snip>

If in fact the orc reinforcements aren't pulled out of the air, then it must be that they are part of the established myth of the fiction, so that there is a definite limit to the number of orc reinforcements available, and when those reinforcements are encountered and slain, further investigation of the complex will be simplified because areas which were formerly guarded will now be emptied.

<snip>

But its not what is happening in this case. In this case the additional reinforcements are being written into the fiction at the time the '1' is thrown, invented on the spot, because the '1' is thrown and a complication is needed. The reinforcements would not exist otherwise. They are not being drawn from a limited pool of resources, but added to the fiction at that moment. There was no possible way to spot or observe those 'hidden' orcs before they leaped out
All new elements introduced into the fiction are, in your sense, "pulled out of thin air". Once I roll the 1, for instance, and - per the rules - I am narrated as having missed my opponent, the narration of my opponent's catching of the arrow with his/her shield, or of his/her doging, or of my slipping slightly in the mud as I release my arrow, resulting in losing my aim, are equally conjured out of thin air.

Systems like RM try to narrow this down, by having the mechanics dictate dodge vs parry etc but even they are not total - eg does the shield catch the arrow because of the quick reflexes of the opponent or because a mosquito flies in front of my eyes right at the moment of shooting, delaying my shot and allowing the defender to move his/her shield into position? Even Rolemaster doesn't answer that question, so the relevant narrative is "pulled out of thin air".

However, it is not the missed bow shot that causes whatever narrative permitted by the rules to be pulled out of thin air. The missed bow shot is an imaginary event in the fiction. The authoring of the narrative is a real event in the real world. One cannot cause anything (though we can imagine it causing further imaginary things). The other has as its "cause" (I use quote marks because mental causation is an obvious minefield) the interaction between the players' knowledge of the ruleset, their knowledge of the existing state of the fiction, their knowledge that a 1 was rolled, and their imaginations as to what might be a feasible addition to the fiction).

I've been in a back and forth with numerous posters (coming from the same viewpoint you seem to be advocating) about how they've chosen to narrowly define fumbles as ineptitude of character and/or "silly".
The point is that this is how Monte Cook is using the term in his blog:

the GM actually incorporates some version of the joke into the actual narrative of the game—that is to say, that Bruce’s character said something foolish or untoward​

I think most people interpret the word "fumble" to mean "a major screw-up." As in, rolling a 1 means your character did something that really screwed the pooch. You shot another character instead of the monster you were aiming at. Dropped your sword. Uttered a major faux pas in front of the Duke. Reached for the bottle of healing balm and accidentally grabbed (and applied) acid instead. The situation got worse because YOUR CHARACTER did something uncharacteristically incompetent.

If that's how you interpret the word "fumble," Monte (and the Cypher System rules generally) argue that you should broaden your horizon.
If you agree with Monte, Charles and the Cypher rules that a fumble (nat 1) is not necessarily this sort of "major screw-up" then why are you arguing against those who are similarly expressing agreement, and/or who agree with you and Monte that "major screw-up" style fumbles don't make for particularly good RPGing?

Emphasis mine... this has been my biggest issue with the premise set forth for differentiation of fumbles and/or fumbles being bad wrong fun by some of the posters in this discussion such as [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION].

<snip>

perhaps there's a small subset of heroes who never fail due to their own inability to meet a particular challenge but it happens to numerous competent heroes of literature and movies and you're right, we don't enjoy their stories any less for it... in fact I would argue it creates a hero who is easier to relate to than the one whose only failures come from outside forces
Please quote me saying that fumbles are "bad wrong fun". That's right, you can't, because I haven't said that.

I actually doubt there is a regular poster on these boards who has played more RM/MERP than me. (Though RM/MERP fumbles aren't typically "major screw-ups".)

I've run two main lines of argument in this thread: (i) against those who define "fumble" in a way differently from Monte Cook and then criticise his essay on the basis of that imputed definition (and I note that my reading of Cook's use of "fumble" was confirmed by the post upthread by one of his co-designers); and (ii) against the contention that there is no interesting difference between success with complication, partial failure, fumble, etc.

It's obvious that GM intrusions will not be very popular among those who prefer that all newly narrated events have, in the fiction, some causal dependence upon characters/actions whose outcomes are going to be narrated on the basis of actual rolls made at the table. But that tells us nothing about GM intrusions as a mechanic except that it probably won't sell well among the diehard RM/RQ/3E crowd.

Given that we know what sort of mechanic it is - broadly speaking, it is a variant of a "no whiffing"/"fail forward" or what [MENTION=4937]Celebrim[/MENTION] calls "Nar techniques", let's talk about whether it is good for that purpose.

I'll nominate what I think looks like a problem with the mechanic (and I'd be interested in [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION]'s thoughts, based on experience with the system): why should GM intrusions be rationed by reference to natural 1s? How does that improve the game?

As I've posted in some detail upthread, there are a range of reasons (pacing being one of the most important) that bear upon whether a GM might want to narrate a failed check as (in the fiction) total failure, or partial failure, or success with a complication, or escalation of the challenge, etc. Mandating the the GM must always escalate the challenge on the roll of a 1 seems to risk the GM being called upon to escalate the challenge when most of the reasons that apply would push in a different direction.

Imaro

Legend
The point is that this is how Monte Cook is using the term in his blog:
the GM actually incorporates some version of the joke into the actual narrative of the game—that is to say, that Bruce’s character said something foolish or untoward​

If you agree with Monte, Charles and the Cypher rules that a fumble (nat 1) is not necessarily this sort of "major screw-up" then why are you arguing against those who are similarly expressing agreement, and/or who agree with you and Monte that "major screw-up" style fumbles don't make for particularly good RPGing?

Ok... just because Monte uses a term such as a "fumble" in a certain way, doesn't mean he is using it correctly (as shown by the different views in this very thread on what a fumble is)... As to what you quoted Charles Ryan posting...

EDIT (Emphasis Mine): Don't do that, nowhere in this thread have I claimed that major screw-up style fumbles don't make for particularly good RPGing... oh and by the way... THIS... is that badwrongfun implication I talked about earlier rearing it's head again.

But I think most people interpret the word "fumble" to mean "a major screw-up." As in, rolling a 1 means your character did something that really screwed the pooch. You shot another character instead of the monster you were aiming at. Dropped your sword. Uttered a major faux pas in front of the Duke. Reached for the bottle of healing balm and accidentally grabbed (and applied) acid instead. The situation got worse because YOUR CHARACTER did something uncharacteristically incompetent.

If that's how you interpret the word "fumble," Monte (and the Cypher System rules generally) argue that you should broaden your horizon.

Emphasis mine... He actually seems to be saying that the definition of a fumble shouldn't be restricted to this narrow definition that many, including yourself are using in this thread... the same thing I've been saying for numerous posts now.

As to why I am arguing with certain posters... well there are a few points on a few things I disagree (either in part or wholly) with...

1. The term "fumble" being (IMO, and apparently Charles Ryan's as well) incorrectly/too narrowly defined.
2. The assertion that character driven fumbles are universally less fun or less enjoyable for all gamers.

I've run two main lines of argument in this thread: (i) against those who define "fumble" in a way differently from Monte Cook and then criticise his essay on the basis of that imputed definition (and I note that my reading of Cook's use of "fumble" was confirmed by the post upthread by one of his co-designers); and (ii) against the contention that there is no interesting difference between success with complication, partial failure, fumble, etc.

1. Again basing a premise on an incorrectly defined term... is going to have people call you out. If I claim I don't like dogs on the basis of them being small and short haired and noisy... well it's perfectly correct for someone to call out that only specific breeds have these characteristics and I am incorrectly asserting that all dogs do.

2. That's not what the quote you posted shows at all... if anything he is stating that if you are narrowly defining the term fumble... you need to broaden your horizons on what a fumble is. I think maybe you need to re-read that post.

It's obvious that GM intrusions will not be very popular among those who prefer that all newly narrated events have, in the fiction, some causal dependence upon characters/actions whose outcomes are going to be narrated on the basis of actual rolls made at the table. But that tells us nothing about GM intrusions as a mechanic except that it probably won't sell well among the diehard RM/RQ/3E crowd.

And we've hit another point of disagreement... there is no reason that a GM Intrusion can't be connected to the fiction with causal/dependence on character actions... the whole point is that they are open ended enough that if a DM wants them connected to the fiction in a causal/dependent way can easily do so. While those that prefer not to don't have to and finally those like me who like a mixture are accommodated as well. Quick question have you read or played any of the Cypher system games? I'm asking because I want to understand whether this is experience with the actual rules and system talking or just assumptions being made off... well whatever it is you're making your assumptions off of... here are some actual excerpts from the Numenera book on GM Intrusions...

Pg. 17 "Special Rolls"... Rolling a natural 1 is always bad. It means that the GM introduces a new complication into the encounter.

pg. 88 "GM Intrusion"... GM Intrusion is explained elsewhere, but essentially it means something occurs to complicate a character's life... The character hasn't necessarily fumbled or done anything wrong (although perhaps she did). It could just be that the task presents an unexpected difficulty or something unrelated affects the current situation.
For GM intrusion on a defensive roll, a roll of 1 might just mean that the PC takes 2 additional points of damage from the attack, indicating that the opponent got in a lucky blow. NOTE: This is surprisingly similar to the Vader chops Luke's hand of example earlier.

There is nothing in the rules, examples or advice for a GM Intrusion that prevents it from being tied to causal dependence to character's actions... of course there's nothing that forces it either. As I said in one of my earlier posts... the game gives you the mechanic and let's you use it how best fits your group.

Given that we know what sort of mechanic it is - broadly speaking, it is a variant of a "no whiffing"/"fail forward" or what @Celebrim calls "Nar techniques", let's talk about whether it is good for that purpose.

Is it? What about the examples or rules for GM Intrusions leads you to believe this? Because my view on it, especially looking at the entire rules for GM Intrusions (not just those possible on a 1) doesn't seem to correlate with this assertion...

I'll nominate what I think looks like a problem with the mechanic (and I'd be interested in @Aldarc's thoughts, based on experience with the system): why should GM intrusions be rationed by reference to natural 1s? How does that improve the game?

As I've posted in some detail upthread, there are a range of reasons (pacing being one of the most important) that bear upon whether a GM might want to narrate a failed check as (in the fiction) total failure, or partial failure, or success with a complication, or escalation of the challenge, etc. Mandating the the GM must always escalate the challenge on the roll of a 1 seems to risk the GM being called upon to escalate the challenge when most of the reasons that apply would push in a different direction.

GM Intrusions don't happen exclusively on a 1... another reason that particular use of it (and the fact that the 1 roll is specifically called out in the rules as when something bad happens) seems to make a roll 1 GM Intrusion a fumble.

Balesir

Adventurer
I'll nominate what I think looks like a problem with the mechanic (and I'd be interested in [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION]'s thoughts, based on experience with the system): why should GM intrusions be rationed by reference to natural 1s? How does that improve the game?
I don't know what Monte thinks, and I don't have any experience of running the system, yet (although I have The Strange as a backer of the Kickstarter), but I'll hazard a guess at where I think it may have utility.

Contrary to what some seem to believe I don't think it ties into Intrusions being a "Nar technique". Others have mentioned Monte's historical affiliation with Gamist and Simulationist agendas and I think Intrusions make a good deal of sense from the point of view of the latter quite well. A plausible world has "stuff happening" - unexpected and effectively (from the point of view of most of the world's inhabitants) random occurrences that impact on their lives. Even rather large "Intrusions" - sudden avalanches, falling stars, other creatures passing by, changes in the weather - happen very frequently, even though each event, in itself, may be exceedingly rare.

It is obviously in keeping with a simulationist agenda to want to introduce such events in play; a world with them feels much more naturalistic and alive than one that has none. The problem then arises, how should they be introduced? Introducing them in response to dramatic needs brings in an agenda (deliberately created drama) that is alien to (and perhaps there is a worry that it might even be damaging to) the core, exploratory, world-imagining agenda of simulationism.

I can immediately identify two mechanisms that may suit sim that have been used to introduce such events. First is to periodically roll for them according to some sort of table. This is perhaps first seen in OD&D's "wandering monster" checks, but later systems (C&S, HârnMaster) expanded the tables to include other sorts of periodically occuring rare event. The second is essentially similar to the "GM Inrusion" discussed here; a die roll already being used for the routine resolution of the game's activity is given some specific result that calls for a rare event to be introduced. This latter has not been as common as the "encounter table" model, possibly because it seems to trouble some players when a random determination used to resolve uncertain outcomes in the game fiction is used to cover more than one duty (despite the fact that random chances can be readily combined and divided out of single instances of randomisation). Nevertheless, a rule known as "eyes of the gods" has been used in HârnMaster, where a roll of "00" on the percentile dice calls for something exceptional to happen, the in-game conceit being that one or more of the gods happened to be watching and decided to "spice things up a bit".

From this perspective, I think it's possible that Monte's motivation here might be to give some limited space for the GM to introduce some "story" elements of his or her choosing while keeping strictly within the control of a simulationist underpinning (becuase such is allowed only when the roll of 1 comes up). By "story" element here, I am thinking primarily of something chosen for aesthetic and instantaneous interest reasons, rather than a focussed introduction intended to speak to the players' thematic interests - although it might allow space for that, too, if there is some unrequited desire for it present, I guess.

Remove ads

Remove ads