Monte Cook On Fumble Mechanics

Fumble mechanics have been part of the tabletop RPG experience for decades. Even where games don't have a fumble mechanic, many players house rule them in. A fumble is the opposite of a critical hit (or critical success) - its most common manifestation is a roll of 1 in a d20-based game (with a roll of 20 being the critical). Veteran game designer Monte Cook has some thoughts on fumble mechanics, and talks about them and how his Numenera RPG (and all of the Cypher System line) use an "intrusion" instead.

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 18.08.30.png

It can be a divisive issue. If you're like me, you've experimented with fumble mechanics of various kinds over the years. When I was 12, I remember one character accidentally shooting a fellow character in the back of the head and killing him. Monte Cook's thoughts on the matter are that "we don’t want to run games that “punish” players for rolling bad. A GM intrusion isn’t meant to be “punishment”—it’s meant to make things more interesting. But a fumble, for many people, just seems like a moment for everyone to laugh at them, and that’s not always fun."

If you look around, you'll find dozens of fumble house rules for most games. They clearly provide a draw to those who like to tinker with their games. But many games deliberately do not include any such rule.

You can read the rest of Monte's article here. What are your thoughts on fumble mechanics?

Von Ether

Legend
Ok...

Wait... so now environmental factors highlight character incompetence?

Is the PC incompetent? aren't feints, parries, etc. just a normal part of combat? The PC didn't look silly or over the top... so why exactly does this highlight incompetence?

I agree with [MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION] ... your threshold for a PC being incompetent seems to be extraordinarily high.

There seems to some discussion between what's infallible vs humanly competent.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
There seems to some discussion between what's infallible vs humanly competent.

Not that I've seen. I've seen one person stating that a PC that is not infallible is incompetent, and everyone else refuting that. No real discussion, because there's no reasonable position being taken by the one person.

Balesir

Adventurer
Emphasis Mine: This is the first time I've seen you interpret what they are saying correctly...

Also I disagree with your assumption that a nat 1 is not supposed to be a major screw up... it's supposed to be a major screw up. I have cited in the rules where rolling a 1 is called out specifically as something bad happening. Don't confuse "a major screw up" with "a major screw up caused by/highlighting the ineptitude of the characters".
Is this simply some confusion of the meaning of the term "major screw up"?

I - and I think [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] - interpret the term "screw up" to relate directly to the incompetence of the acting individual. You, it seems, do not? If an unfortunate set of circumstances cause something to go wrong - even disastrously wrong - I don't think of myself as having "screwed up"; I just think of myself as unlucky. Maybe it is because I am English, [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] is ( think) Australian and you are (I think) American that we have differing assumed meanings for the same phrase?

Hussar

Legend
Ok, perhaps I was unclear. Let me try it this way.

How does my character slipping in the mud or falling for a feint highlight my character's competence as a combatant? In what way is that not a result of my failure of competence? Perhaps it's a disagreement over the definition of incompetence?

Imaro

Legend

How does my character slipping in the mud or falling for a feint highlight my character's competence as a combatant? In what way is that not a result of my failure of competence? Perhaps it's a disagreement over the definition of incompetence?

I thought our goal was to avoid highlighting incompetence... if our goal, in a fumble is to not only avoid highlighting incompetence... but to actually highlight competence... then I have to ask... why even have failures... much less fumbles?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

Bruce Lee = highly competent. Bruce Lee = someone who has fallen for feints. He has also slipped. Crap happens, even to highly competent people without making them incompetent.

Hussar

Legend
I don't recall Bruce Lee in the movies slipping on a wet floor or patch of blood and landing on his ass.

Failing to do something is not highlighting incompetence. No one is perfect. But when our high level hero is slipping or falling for a feint consistently ie. 1 time in 20 I'd say that's pretty incompetent.

You certainly wouldn't go to a doctor with that fail rate. If my accountant was seriously screwing up 5% of the time I'd be looking for a new one.

Note, a fumble is more than just a fail right? It's fail with additional consequences. Or am I missing something? If my high level fighter is falling down one round in five or six, that's kinda highlighting incompetence isn't it?

pemerton

Legend

I - and I think [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] - interpret the term "screw up" to relate directly to the incompetence of the acting individual. You, it seems, do not? If an unfortunate set of circumstances cause something to go wrong - even disastrously wrong - I don't think of myself as having "screwed up"; I just think of myself as unlucky. Maybe it is because I am English, [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] is ( think) Australian and you are (I think) American that we have differing assumed meanings for the same phrase?
I am Australian, and English is my first language.

I take the phrase major screw-up to refer to a situation where a person has screwed something up. (In Australia we would tend to say "stuff up" rather than "screw up" - in Australian English, "screw" is synonymous with "f***", and "screw-up" is therefore a little bit closer to "f***-up" and hence not quite as polite as "stuff up".)

And here is Charles Ryan using the phrase in the same way:

I think most people interpret the word "fumble" to mean "a major screw-up." As in, rolling a 1 means your character did something that really screwed the pooch. <snippage> The situation got worse because YOUR CHARACTER did something uncharacteristically incompetent.

If that's how you interpret the word "fumble," Monte (and the Cypher System rules generally) argue that you should broaden your horizon.
In other words, he is using "major screw-up" to mean "doing something that really screws the pooch" which is the same things as "doing something uncharacteristically incompetent that makes the situation worse". He then goes on to say that the point of Monte Cook's blog is to say that such a conception of what a fumble is, you need to broaden your conception of what a "fumble" is. And in his blog, Monte Cook explains what the broadening would consist in:

In a combat situation, a GM intrusion can range from the opposing creature gaining an additional chance to attack for a round, to reinforcements for the opposition showing up. It could mean that the character accidentally shoots a friend, or drops her weapon, or slips and falls, but those should be rare. Far more often, it should be some external circumstance that arises, and not something “wrong” that the character did.​

Upthread I offered the following conjecture as to why he said this:

(1) he wants a nat 1 to be a big event, distinct from ordinary failure;

(2) He does not want a nat 1 to (typically) be a major screw-up by the character whose player rolled the 1;

(3) there are not enough infiction possibilities that satisfy(1) and (2) while nevertheless being able to be imagined, in the fiction,causally downstream of the failed character action.​

The contentious claim here, obviously, is (3): that Monte believes (1) and (2) is obvious enough from the blog and the subsequent elaboration by Charles Ryan.

So, instead of debating semantics can we debate (3): is it true? (At all, in general, in the Cypher Systerm, in other FRPGs, . . .?)

Imaro

Legend

I - and I think @pemerton - interpret the term "screw up" to relate directly to the incompetence of the acting individual. You, it seems, do not? If an unfortunate set of circumstances cause something to go wrong - even disastrously wrong - I don't think of myself as having "screwed up"; I just think of myself as unlucky. Maybe it is because I am English, @pemerton is ( think) Australian and you are (I think) American that we have differing assumed meanings for the same phrase?

I think... maybe so. I figure a "major screw up" (irregardless of the cause) is just you failing to do something and the resulting consequences being (much) greater than just failure. So your weapon breaking, a rock face crumbling, or even a surprise attack you didn't see coming... can all result in a major screw up.

EDIT: In other words, as I understand the meaning of it, someone can majorly screw up due to bad luck... however that's not incompetence on their part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imaro

Legend
I don't recall Bruce Lee in the movies slipping on a wet floor or patch of blood and landing on his ass.

Failing to do something is not highlighting incompetence. No one is perfect. But when our high level hero is slipping or falling for a feint consistently ie. 1 time in 20 I'd say that's pretty incompetent.

You certainly wouldn't go to a doctor with that fail rate. If my accountant was seriously screwing up 5% of the time I'd be looking for a new one.

Note, a fumble is more than just a fail right? It's fail with additional consequences. Or am I missing something? If my high level fighter is falling down one round in five or six, that's kinda highlighting incompetence isn't it?

Annnnd.... we are back to square one... if you're using the exact same fumble result every time a 1 is rolled, then your fumble system sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases