D&D 5E Tomb of Annihilation maps

ccs

41st lv DM
Does anyone know if the map of Chult available on Mike Schley site is scaled to 1 hex = 1 inch for printing?
Or will I have to re-size it?

The other, gridded, ToA maps specifically state that they're already set for 1" square printing.

I going to print out Chult in 1" hexes, cover it in 1" Reaper hex bases, & simply remove hexes as the PCs explore.
The only question is the amount of work I'll have to do with the image....

Thanks

Another option you have is to go for the Gale Force 9 map set coming out soon - it's white hexes on a dry-wipe surface, so you can draw (or whatever) the contents as the players explore. It's £30 I think, but might not be that much more expensive than your intended method.

Just a suggestion.

mvincent

Explorer
I going to print out Chult in 1" hexes, cover it in 1" Reaper hex bases, & simply remove hexes as the PCs explore.
Wouldn't that be a pretty massive printout (like 6 ft. x 8 ft.), and require thousands of hex bases?

For my own games: I'm running three groups, so I made three poster sized 'scratch-off' maps using copies of the DM maps, covered with laminate (clear shelf-paper) then painted the unexplored areas with a mixture of green paint and (1/3rd) soap (which can then be scratched off to reveal hexes or locations as needed).

darjr

I crit!
What happens when they get lost? Wouldn’t the hex they are in look different than the hex they think they are in?

pukunui

Legend
What happens when they get lost? Wouldn’t the hex they are in look different than the hex they think they are in?
This is one of the issues I have with this whole "blank map" thing. It's a cool idea, but I'm finding it frustrating to use at the table.

darjr

I crit!
This is one of the issues I have with this whole "blank map" thing. It's a cool idea, but I'm finding it frustrating to use at the table.

Have them draw in what they see in the hex they think they are in. It will be confusing but it should be for them, they are lost. You keep track of what hex they are really in. Does that help?

I just got an idea, inspiration.

Instead of printing the whole dm map and covering the hexes, print out the players map and give them a print out cut out of each hex they hit. That way you can give them the hex they see and they can put it in the hex they think they are in. Plus they could be rearranged as needed when they figure out where they really are.

Use sticky tack.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
That just feels like way too much work. I'd rather just give them a full player map and have them discover sites on the map rather than what's in any given hex.

Remove ads