Ravnica Update: Focus on Five Guilds

Do you want to explore the undercity of Ravnica as guest or enemy of the Golgari Swarm? What challenge does the leader of the Selesnya Conclave face? Do you want a large d10 with a guild symbol on each face? Here is an update on what we know about D&D Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica.

On Sept 27, the Dragon Talk Podcast with Ari Levitch and Greg Tito provided a new preview about Ravnica. Daily MTG provides additional details on five guilds.

The Guildmasters’ Guide opens right after the events of Return to Ravnica for Magic the Gathering. The guildmasters are the same, but dangerous events are in motion and life is becoming precarious. Jace the Planeswalker has left Ravnica taking the enforceable peace of the Guildpact with him.

The Golgari take the long view—all institutions both physical and society will all crumble away eventually. Sometimes they speed things along—assassins to create instability and proclaimers to plant the spores of future revolution. With Jace away, these plans may come to fruition.

Ravnica is ancient. Layers and layers deep. The Beneath the streets is the vast Undercity where the Golgari dwell. Dungeon delves are possible as the Undercity dives deep. Exploration into its depths will take out the comforts of city civilization from player characters.

In the Guildmasters’ Guide, the Undercity is not always depicted as grubby or muck covered but is an actual kingdom beneath the streets, an otherworldly sometimes beautiful place. But with fungus. The Golgari Swarm embraces life and death as a cycle. They appreciate the entire spectrum.

The Swarm is home to many elves, which are like the drow of other worlds. Some Golgari are findbrokers that collect trash from the surface and extract valuables from them. Recyclers, including necromancers, raise fungus zombies to shambling unlife with spores. Death and necromancy can combine with druidic magic since death is part of the cycle of life. The spore druid embraces this ideal. Proclaimers are ready to reclaim the surface for when the Golgari return to the surface and take over.

Their Guildmaster is Jarad, an elven lich lord. Ambition to pursue personal goals is part of this guild and leadership cycles through many guildmasters. Assassination or political maneuvering leads to a change of leadership—cutthroat like the natural world. Savra, Jarad’s sister, used to run the guild before she was killed by Szadek who took over leadership. Jarad took the life of Szadek along with his leadership.

The Selesnya Conclave follow Mat'Selesnya the World Soul. The guild believes that society and nature should co-exist. They want to build a city that curbs the natural world but keeps it growing as well. The massive world-tree Vitu-Ghazi serves as the focus and guildhall of the guild. The Guildmaster is Trostani, a dryad connected via one tree trunk to three bodies representing harmony, life, and order.

The Selesnya are home to elves, like wood elves on other worlds, and the elephant loxodons. Elves ride wolves as Ledev Guardians. The serve as emissaries and evangels of the faith and make excellent soldiers as well.

Trostani used to speak in one voice, but now there is disharmony between the three voices. They may be hearing different things that the World Soul is saying. Perhaps a quest to restore harmony is needed.

A set of Ravnica dice will be sold in a decorated tin with the seal of all ten guilds on it. The oversized D10 has a guild symbol on each side so you can randomly roll a guild when needed.

D&D Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica releases November 9 game stores and November 20 everywhere.

This article was contributed by Charles Dunwoody as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program.We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Thanks for another update, [MENTION=17927]Charles Dunwoody[/MENTION]

The more I read, the more eager I am for this setting. My group had a ton of fun with Monte Cook's Ptolus years back, and this is going to play right into that level of depth I feel.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I too am more and more eager. It's nice to have a different kind of place, and not just more of the same. Frankly, this could bring the unknown and fantastic back to a lot of games, where the players seem to know everything that is out there......

Yes, this! As much as I really wanted the new 5e setting to be Spelljammer or Planescape, I am quite pleased that it’s something entirely new and different for D&D.

I too am more and more eager. It's nice to have a different kind of place, and not just more of the same. Frankly, this could bring the unknown and fantastic back to a lot of games, where the players seem to know everything that is out there......

What kind of adventures does such place inspire?

Character driven adventures. Wizards has said that each guild will have recommended foes and adventures PCs can go on if they are a member of that guild. So instead of random four fantasy PCs go into dungeon on fantasy world, the adventures can be tailored to a specific PC and his or her guild's issues and challenges.

Those same adventure set pieces will provide blocks of adventures and foes for PCs to face. Like mini-dungeons or the setting of Hell's Kitchen for Daredevil in the same way that New York is huge but DD narrows the focus.

You even could take the random card generator, which I plan to discuss in more depth, to generate ideas by pressing deal a hand. https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/guilds-ravnica-planeswalker-decklists-2018-09-20

Night time crawl through a forested entrance to the undercity with ironshell beetles lunging out of the dark to stop a glowspore shaman from murdering anyone else and filling them with fungus.

Travel to an island with Izzet magic tech to find an omnispell adept and ask her help in stopping a storm that seems to be plaguing the PC's local block. Turns out a crazed goblin electromancer riding a muse drake is summoning the storm to attract dragonauts and small fire elementals who are drawn to the lightning and resulting fires.

Osgood

Adventurer
Wow, none of this sounds even remotely interesting to me. This will be the first 5E product I take a pass on. I'm happy for those it appeals to though.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

The thing I'm not grocking is the feeling that, no matter what the Player comes up with for a PC, no matter what his PC's history, background or personality is, that PC will ALWAYS be subject to being manipulated by a Guild...or, almost as bad, placed into some "caste/privilege box".

This may not be the case...I don't know much at all about Ravnica because nothing has really grabbed me as 'cool'...but it's the feeling I get as a DM. That every one of my NPC's will have some Guild-oriented agenda that is the ultimate decider...even if that NPC is playing it off as some other one "Please rescue my daughter! * ( *because I need to marry her to a different Guild's member in order to have a massive loan forgiven )". Because unless it's possible to NOT be a member of any guild, and then open an Inn/Tavern or build a Keep somewhere, and NOT be attacked/oppressed from virtually everyone...well, that's a problem for me (as a DM). I just don't think that would be a fun setting to be DM'ing in.

It's cool if others love the setting. More power to 'em! I have yet to buy a WotC 5e product other than Starter Box, PHB, MM, DMG, so it's not like WotC is hurting for my cash! ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

jedijon

Explorer
Kinda beating a dead horse here—but at least the first major typo was a ways in?

When I read that Golgari recyclers collected refuge [sic], I thought; “hey maybe it’s ‘refuse’, no...they extract valuables from THEM...it must be refugees’”.

Welp, the editing must’ve stopped about there because then there’s a paragraph about leadership that introduces the idea that each Golgari Guildmaster has a unique goal—while proceeding to leave the reader bereft of, well, any of them.

And the article closes with the same tone. A tin box dice “set” presumably containing one 10 sided dice—but we do know it’s oversized and has guild symbols on each face.

Post definitely needs editing for clarity.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I'd have liked Planescape better but this seems like it has a good bit of potentially stealable content, though I don't think I'd run Ravnica per se.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
This may not be the case...I don't know much at all about Ravnica because nothing has really grabbed me as 'cool'...but it's the feeling I get as a DM. That every one of my NPC's will have some Guild-oriented agenda that is the ultimate decider...even if that NPC is playing it off as some other one "Please rescue my daughter! * ( *because I need to marry her to a different Guild's member in order to have a massive loan forgiven )". Because unless it's possible to NOT be a member of any guild, and then open an Inn/Tavern or build a Keep somewhere, and NOT be attacked/oppressed from virtually everyone...well, that's a problem for me (as a DM). I just don't think that would be a fun setting to be DM'ing in.

That's probably true, but why would any DM choose to use a thematic setting over a generic setting if they're not going to engage with the elements that make it unique?

That's like playing in Dark Sun and ignoring the Dragon Kings and handing out decanters of endless water. Or playing in Eberron and ignoring the Dragonmarked Houses. Or playing in Planescape and trying to be factionless.

In general, unless the DM and the majority of the players have knowledge and interest in a published setting, I think it's just easier to homebrew. That's why I'm interested in looking to Ravnica for ideas, but won't be running it.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases