D&D 4E Favourite Combat Encounters

Pobman

Explorer
Hi,

What were your favourite combat encounters in 4E? Ideally from a published source so I can go and look them up, but your homebrew ones are welcome if you describe the set-up in enough detail.

The reason I ask is that I am designing a board game and I am taking some inspiration from 4E D&D, so I wanted to see if there was a thread running through people's favourite encounters that would help me create awesome encounters for the board game. I know RPGs and Board Games are different beasts, and that people's character stories might influence which combat encounters they enjoyed the most, but I think it is worth asking even if I don't get any useful answers.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

lockyreid1

First Post
I love the stair descent combat encounter in Chapter 2 of Scale of War. Super fun fight with mines of moria vibes, and some deadly terrain hazards.

Pobman

Explorer
I love the stair descent combat encounter in Chapter 2 of Scale of War. Super fun fight with mines of moria vibes, and some deadly terrain hazards.

Thanks! I will look that up. I always liked some sort of hazardous terrain in 4E combat and it is certainly something I want to use in my board game.

sfedi

First Post
The first encounter and general setup in Scales of War: fighting an Ogre and two hobgoblin archers.
But the main idea of: you are in a bar, some goblinoid soldiers break in (WTF??) and after defeating them you find that the city/town is under attack.
And you have to wade through these attackers and through the city to [insert plot here]

Pobman

Explorer
The first encounter and general setup in Scales of War: fighting an Ogre and two hobgoblin archers.
But the main idea of: you are in a bar, some goblinoid soldiers break in (WTF??) and after defeating them you find that the city/town is under attack.
And you have to wade through these attackers and through the city to [insert plot here]

Thanks.

Looks like I should definitely check out Scales of War!

masteraleph

Explorer
There's a fun one in Madness at Gardmore Abbey, appropriate for upper Heroic adventurers- one Beholder, four minions that can do some teleporting away and therefore aren't necessarily one hit one kill, interesting terrain that does weird thing, and significant plot consequences depending on what you do. The room is pretty small, but the combat is quite interesting.

There's also a rust monster combat in there. I usually don't like rust monster combats, but an occasional one that makes everyone rethink what they do in combat is interesting.

Remove ads