D&D 5E RAW: Can druids wear studded leather?

jasper

Rotten DM
WHIMPER WHIMPER WHINE WHIMPER WHIMPER WHINE. WILL , WON'T CAN'T, WEAR METAL ARMOUR, EXCEPTION, BANDED ARMOUR! WHIMPER WHIMPER WHINE.
I HAVING ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS FLASHBACKS FROM THE EARLY 80S,
jasper slow types his way away from keyboard to get coffee.

Hussar

Legend
Y'know, that's an interesting historical question.

Where did people buy armor? I know that people often had weapons at home - grandfather's sword or whatnot, but, what about armor? Sure, plate mail and th like was kinda limited to upper class nobility because of the prohibitive cost, but, where does Joe Artisan get a chain suit?

Laurefindel

Legend
Y'know, that's an interesting historical question.

Where did people buy armor? I know that people often had weapons at home - grandfather's sword or whatnot, but, what about armor? Sure, plate mail and th like was kinda limited to upper class nobility because of the prohibitive cost, but, where does Joe Artisan get a chain suit?

Good question, but my guess would be that people didn't buy armour. Nobles and city states would commission them for their armies from their vassals and serfs, and later via specialized masters. For a long time, a chain suit was the heaviest armor there was, so not your average Joe's armour.

There was probably a short period in early renaissance where economy was democratized enough and armour hadn't yet fallen out of fashion where one could simply purchase armour from your local dealership, but I would guess that like weapons, armours would go through a dozen masters before being delivered. The guy who purified the iron probably wasn't the same as the guy who thinned it, who wasn't the guy who hardened it into steel, who wasn't the guy who shaped the helmet, who wasn't the guy who shaped the breastplate, who wasn't the guy who polished the steel, who wasn't the guy who etched it, who wasn't the guy who fitted the straps, who wasn't the guy who made the straps nor the buckles, etc. Earlier armours would probably go through less hands, but it would correspond to the feudal era were common folk would not be able to purchase any form of armours they wouldn't make themselves, and where nobles would just commission to their serfs.

To make a long story short, I don't think D&D smithing and economy has much equivalent until the early 19th century.

Last edited:

ChameleonX

Explorer
Okay, so all joking aside, the way I'd rule it is that "Studded Leather" is basically just a colloquial term for Brigandine, used by commoners who don't really understand how it's made.
Ergo, it would effectively be metal armor, as it's essentially just metal plates riveted to the inside of a padded leather jerkin. So, by that logic, a standard D&D Druid wouldn't wear it.
However, I just ignore that stupid rule in my own games, because it's stupid, and let my druid players wear whatever they want. Clerics can walk around in Full Plate, so obviously it's not going to break anything in modern D&D.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Try Merriam-Webster or some other dictionary. A rivet is made by pressing a rod of metal so hard it forms a head. You can't do that with bone, wood, or stone without the aid of magic which, as you pointed out, certainly means it's possible in a fantasy setting.
True, but a crafter with only cantrip-level magic could carve a properly shaped bone, wood, or stone bead; cut a tiny slit through which to insert said bead; and then cast mending to repair the slit.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
PSA: Don’t forget to check the date on a post before responding to someone who might not have thought about this for over two years.

Remove ads