D&D 5E Heroes of Baldur's Gate is a D&D Adventure From Bioware's Baldur's Gate Designer

James Ohlen and Jesse Sky of Bioware fame have released the 160-page PDF and hardcover Heroes of Baldur's Gate over on DMs Guild.

James Ohlen and Jesse Sky of Bioware fame have released the 160-page PDF and hardcover Heroes of Baldur's Gate over on DMs Guild.

hobg.jpg

It's an adventure which takes PCs from levels 1-6, and also includes stats for fourteen characters from the video games, including Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen, Edwin, Viconia, and more. Also included are eight new monsters, four new backgrounds, and lots of maps of Baldur's Gate and the Sword Coast.

"The city of Baldur’s Gate is the pride of West Faerûn—a mercantile stronghold ruled by the famous Grand Dukes. One year ago, a powerful merchant leader named Sarevok nearly catapulted the city into war with the neighboring nation of Amn. This crisis was averted, and the remnants of the organization were scattered throughout the Sword Coast.

Now, the city is threatened from within by agents of the nefarious Zhentarim, who seek to fill the power vacuum left behind in the wake of these events. Meanwhile, the Shadow Druids plot to destroy the city by performing terrible rituals, deep within the Cloakwood. Who will rise to oppose them?"

There's even a trailer!

[video=youtube;F581HTuZX-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F581HTuZX-M[/video]​

stadi

Explorer
Regarding those epic background. There are four of them but the adventure can played with 4-6 players. Are you supposed to reuse them? Or are only some of the characters supposed to have them? Are they your backgrounds if you choose them or do you also get a regular background?

BBShockwave

First Post
Hmm, is this official WotC product or just third party release like the Kobold Press stuff? Might check it out for the nice artwork, but not that interested otherwise.

Also might wanna correct the article title as the link says hereos. :D

Regarding those epic background. There are four of them but the adventure can played with 4-6 players. Are you supposed to reuse them? Or are only some of the characters supposed to have them? Are they your backgrounds if you choose them or do you also get a regular background?

It doesn't really specify, but I think it would be a bit silly to have a whole party of "chosen ones". I wouldn't allow more than one or two, with the rest of the party normal backgrounds.

If you have the kind of group who might consider it unfair I would randomise it, perhaps by writing the epic backgrounds on cards, along with several "normal background", and have the players draw one.

Storywise, you could have multiple bhaalspawn, but the others are unique.

CapnZapp

Legend
If you have the kind of group who might consider it unfair
Isn't the best solution to explain to the group this adventure draws its inspiration from a computer game where everybody (but one) plays expendable NPCs in the protagonist's story...?

Joking aside, maybe the best option is to keep it a secret who's the chosen one, and only determining who it is through play? (Unlike the CRPG every player around the table is equally invested)

Isn't the best solution to explain to the group this adventure draws its inspiration from a computer game where everybody (but one) plays expendable NPCs in the protagonist's story...?

Joking aside, maybe the best option is to keep it a secret who's the chosen one, and only determining who it is through play? (Unlike the CRPG every player around the table is equally invested)

The epic backgrounds, as written, don't really allow for that. I did do something along those lines in my current campaign though. I created two mundane-sounding backgrounds ("squire" and "village healer") and suggested that a couple of my players might choose to play them (which they did). One of them in particular had a bit of chosen-oneishness hidden behind it.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter

They're entirely optional. I find them increasingly ludicrous, but that doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't be fun to play. And yes, you could potentially have a party of four with every player using one of the epic backgrounds, or a party where up to four have epic backgrounds and additional players have "normal" backgrounds, or additional epic backgrounds created by the player and the DM, or a party where one person has an epic background and the other characters are ham-and-eggers.

Regarding re-using them, that's not what's intended, but with the Bhaalspawn and clone backgrounds there's no reason why you couldn't have more than one (Bhaal did spawn a lot of spawn, and clones are clones).

Personally, as a player, I would find the clone, emperor, and dragon backgrounds very difficult to RP as written. As a DM, I'd keep the mechanics of those backgrounds but make the fluff a bit less over the top just so the whole party isn't composed of weirdo aliens struggling to understand this strange place your kind calls "The Sword Coast."

Last edited by a moderator:

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Hmm, is this official WotC product or just third party release like the Kobold Press stuff? Might check it out for the nice artwork, but not that interested otherwise.

Also might wanna correct the article title as the link says hereos. :D

It's a 3rd party product but releasing products on DMsGuild allows indie creators to make use of WoTC's IP (Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Eberron, Ravnica settings & associated characters included) and certain creatures that are not in the OGL (mind flayers, etc). WoTC gets a cut of every sale on DMsGuild.

Remove ads

Remove ads