D&D 5E Flaws

brehobit

Explorer
I like the idea a lot. I'm not hugely fond of your implementations, but some things (like being at disadvantage in melee) is really cool for certain builds. The -1 to 3 stats as a minor thing is probably giving it too little.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Ah damn. I typed up a large post and lost it.

@Myopic
Thanks for taking a look. I settled on 3 minors = major/feat. So it is basically the equivalent of the Skilled feat (though with a few more choices obviously).

The crappy 'Weapon Master' feat is a little better in our game. We use Weapon Groups. (BTW, are these in the DMG for those that have it?).

Re relation to BGs. Up to the player if they take a flaw. They might be inspired by the tables under BGs. (In fact, I didn't go through the BGs to do the flaws. I might have to one day).

(Side note: we use poker chips to reward RPing. When you gather 5 you cash in for Inspiration (or action point, something cool). If you roleplay your flaw and it might not have been the best 'win' option I often just go straight to Inspiration chip.)
[MENTION=12032]brehobit[/MENTION]
Thanks also for taking a look. I have just written the page, but if you could elaborate on how I could better 'implement' flaws, I am interested to hear.

Are you referring to a particular flaw. -1 to 3 different abilities seems okay to me for a 'minor' flaw. Most are -2 to one ability.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
After playing around with this system for some time I settled on the fact you cannot gain a feat through Minor Flaws alone. I figured you could simply pick a bunch that don't really hinder your concept in any way and gaining a feat for them just did not sit right with me. You must take a Major to get a feat. (Not so much a prob at our table, but I can see it open for abuse, and I am keen to share this idea more widely - namely EN5ider if there is interest). So...

Minor Flaw = Proficiency
Major Flaw = Feat.

What do people think? Any flaws in particular stand out for attention? Any that you really like?

I hope to make a submission to EN5ider for these. Would that be something people are interested in?

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I think you should leave out or tweak flaws that are mitigated or circumvented by character build. For example, disadvantage in melee. It is easy to build a caster that only has ranged spell attacks and saving throws. Then it is a free feat.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
[MENTION=6748898]ad_hoc[/MENTION]. Thanks for your thoughts and having a look. I understand where you are coming from, but that is just not possible. EVERY flaw has that potential I guess. We don't have problem in our games, but I know it could be a problem at some tables. A GM would have to make a call there.

Though, again, as a GM you can have the caster placed in melee combat (it would be extremely rare in our groups to dodge that) and it would apply to melee-based spell attack rolls (which I think I will need to point out. Thanks for that ;)).

In our game, races have some Flaws assigned. We also have players often roll random flaws. This offsets some of what you have, but any system of flaws can be taken advantage of. Another reason I understand them not being in the game and not for every table, but we loved the way games like Savage Worlds played out and how your flaws/hindrances/drawbacks can really make your PC standout.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I think I would make the flaw apply to all attack rolls. You just aren't good at hitting things.

You can still circumvent it with spells that don't have attack rolls, but it would actually be limiting.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
[MENTION=6748898]ad_hoc[/MENTION]. I really don't think you need to go that far for a feat. Feats aren't the be all and end all. Humans get one at first level. This is a chance for everyone to get one from the get-go, but they take a penalty (not a massive penalty) for it.

So far, players have RARELY chosen Major flaws as they are and no one has taken the Civilian/Non-Combatant flaw, so I am pretty sure it is enough.

More to the point from a story point of view, the flaw is about people that go to water when physically threatened or just can't fight. Not, can't shoot etc.

Not sure if you have read the flaws or just going on something said above, but I don't want to go too far into penalties - then why take them at all. At this stage penalties are based roughly on double the benefits of a feat.

Perhaps you game with players that are power-gamers and looking for every edge. Fortunately, I don't, but you are right, I need to take this into consideration if opening these up to others. But again, disadvantage on ALL attacks seems to be going a little too far. What say others?

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I am looking to putting my Flaws on DMGuild (as I have not heard back from En5ider after sending 3 times), but before I do, I have a little concern re a couple of things.

Firstly, I will reiterate:
1 Minor Flaw = 1 proficiency
1 Major Flaw = 1 feat

I have the ability reducing flaws at -2 for Minor and -4 for Major.

I did this b/c we assign Flaws to our Races and a starting -2 has been a norm for D&D (up to 3E).

Is -2/-4 enough? -2 for a proficiency seems okay to me. Is -4 enough for a feat. Basically you are dropping -2 on all rolls with that Ability for a feat. Is this enough? Should the Major version be -5 or -6, or is -4 okay?

Secondly, should these be renamed, as Flaws appear as RP sections in the Backgrounds? Does that matter? I prefer Flaws - and it seems to go with Feats.

If so, what do I rename them?
Hindrances, Drawbacks, Deficits, Deficiencies, etc?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases