D&D 5E Rolled character stats higher than point buy?

This might just be the most pointless thread I've ever read on the boards in 15 years :)

Actually, this is the best thread of this sort I've read on forums ever. This is the first such thread that has honestly addressed the cheating/fudging issue to this degree. I attribute that to this thread occurring during the 5E era as opposed to the 3E or 4E eras, since people playing 3E and 4E on the whole seemed a lot less likely to be rolling stats.

Warbringer

Explorer
Actually, this is the best thread of this sort I've read on forums ever. This is the first such thread that has honestly addressed the cheating/fudging issue to this degree. I attribute that to this thread occurring during the 5E era as opposed to the 3E or 4E eras, since people playing 3E and 4E on the whole seemed a lot less likely to be rolling stats.

Or 3e and 4e players are more honest ;)

Oofta

Legend

Hey now, it's not cheating if the DM acknowledges or turns a blind eye to it. Then it's just a house rule. ;)

This ... conversation ... has been occasionally popping up ever since people have been playing D&D. I've been playing pretty much since D&D was released, I've been using some variation of "adjusted" die rolls or point buy for pretty much every campaign I've ever been in.

I believe people when they say they use straight rolls, use what they get. I just think that's probably about 1% of the gaming population*. Everyone else uses point buy, or doesn't follow the rule as written.

*As with 70%** of all statistics quoted on the internet this is pure guesswork.
** Yes, the 70% is pure guesswork.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

Cheating has happened since 1e and continues to 5e. Fudging doesn't generally happen during stat creation. There's no point in the DM reaching over and switching a die after it is rolled. Rules changes enacted by DMs to allow variant ways to roll stats don't qualify as either cheating or fudging since they are rules.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Hey now, it's not cheating if the DM acknowledges or turns a blind eye to it. Then it's just a house rule. ;)

This ... conversation ... has been occasionally popping up ever since people have been playing D&D. I've been playing pretty much since D&D was released, I've been using some variation of "adjusted" die rolls or point buy for pretty much every campaign I've ever been in.

I believe people when they say they use straight rolls, use what they get. I just think that's probably about 1% of the gaming population*. Everyone else uses point buy, or doesn't follow the rule as written.

*As with 70%** of all statistics quoted on the internet this is pure guesswork.
** Yes, the 70% is pure guesswork.

It's more than 1% in my experience. Of the last 10 DMs I've played with, including me, 2 used roll dice straight down and play what you get. That's 20%.

Cheating has happened since 1e and continues to 5e. Fudging doesn't generally happen during stat creation. There's no point in the DM reaching over and switching a die after it is rolled. Rules changes enacted by DMs to allow variant ways to roll stats don't qualify as either cheating or fudging since they are rules.

I define fudging on stats as cheating on rolling stats with the DM's permission or knowledge, or the DM directly cheating on your behalf. Rolling a bad set of stats and the DM telling you to reroll I would call fudging.

I call cheating on stats cheating without the knowledge or permission of the DM.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases