Mearls On D&D's Design Premises/Goals

First of all, thanks Morrus for collecting this. I generally avoid Twitter because, frankly, it's full of a$$holes. That aside: this is an interesting way of looking at it, and underscores the difference in design philosophies between the WotC team and the Paizo team. There is a lot of room for both philosophies of design, and I don't think there is any reason for fans of one to be hostile to...

First of all, thanks [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] for collecting this. I generally avoid Twitter because, frankly, it's full of a$$holes.

That aside: this is an interesting way of looking at it, and underscores the difference in design philosophies between the WotC team and the Paizo team. There is a lot of room for both philosophies of design, and I don't think there is any reason for fans of one to be hostile to fans of the other, but those differences do matter. There are ways in which I like the prescriptive elements of 3.x era games (I like set skill difficulty lists, for example) but I tend to run by the seat of my pants and the effects of my beer, so a fast and loose and forgiving version like 5E really enables me running a game the way I like to.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Shove your award, Oofta.

I never said the designers were lazy people, no matter what you and your ilk try to frame it as. They might work very hard in a great many areas (not that you or I would know), but some of the design in the game is lazy, in that it either defaults to a much older edition's framework, or remains ambiguous with few good examples of how to run it for the DM. That's lazy design.

As for 5e being perfect...it's true that no one has said it is, to the best of my knowledge.

It's also true that virtually every single time people try to point out a criticism of it, the criticism goes mostly unacknowledged and the critic gets personally attacked, like what happened with the poster above who had the misfortune of being insulted by Defcon.

So...maybe it's not perfect, but the defenders here sure act like it.

"Lazy design" means that it wasn't worked for: if careful research and testing shows that an earlier edition did something in a way that worked better, it is not lazy to go with the superior rule. If it turns out in play that ambiguity works better, it is not lazy to decide to err on the side of open interpretation.

Lazy is not doing the work to find out what works, or deciding to go with what feels right rather than following the data.

Eric V

Hero
"Lazy design" means that it wasn't worked for: if careful research and testing shows that an earlier edition did something in a way that worked better, it is not lazy to go with the superior rule. If it turns out in play that ambiguity works better, it is not lazy to decide to err on the side of open interpretation.

Lazy is not doing the work to find out what works, or deciding to go with what feels right rather than following the data.

I know how I used the term; I don't think I will let someone else, (especially you, of all people) to redefine my statement for me.

clearstream

(He, Him)
I agree, but a page count of a book is not directly correlated to the number of rules in it. If you'd like to do the lift and actually count all of the source books for the editions and figure out how many rules there are for your comparison, power to you. But I think the level of abstraction necessary to make a point is simply the number of books in the edition.

3 and 3.5 had 12 core rulebooks and about 60 WoTC published supplemental works.
4 had 8 core rulebooks and about 26 WoTC published supplemental works.
5 has three official core rulebooks and 8 supplemental rulebooks.
It is not justified to count supplements for several reasons. The obvious reason is that we cannot say today how many 5th edition will go on to have, whereas there likely will not be any further WotC 3rd edition supplements. Then of course, supplements are not essential to play: they're optional. For a group that doesn't include them they add zero rules weight. Less obvious perhaps is the simple implausibility of the position. Hundreds of pages of core rules seems heavy weight to me. A lighter weight system might be something like Savage Worlds... which, of course, has a great many supplements.

That as may be, there are two kinds of argument being made here. The first is that both 3rd and 5th edition are heavy weight rule systems. The second is that they are of roughly even weight as such. Page count and rules density on a page is an indicator, but cannot be conclusive about weightiness in this sense. For instance, one could envision light weight rules, expressed verbosely. The two arguments can be sustained separately or together. In making this judgement, one has to think about where 5th edition D&D sits among contemporary RPGs. Then there is the question of, who for? RPGs that posters here might agree are light weight, could seem heavy weight to someone unfamiliar with the kind of manuals these boards address.

I think the question of weightiness is rightly a relative one - is 5th edition D&D relatively heavier than Savage Worlds? - and is rightly measured from the perspective of the community of hobbyists who are familiar with them. Having DM'd 3rd edition and 5th edition, running weekly sessions for years, I find that the systems of equal weight. That's the bottom line, for me. I've played both for hundreds of hours, and in play, 5th edition is as heavy as 3rd edition. I've played Savage Worlds, and it seems lighter than both to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I know how I used the term; I don't think I will let someone else, (especially you, of all people) to redefine my statement for me.

Not really sure what that crack about me "of all people" is supposed to mean, but... people are going to understand words based on common understanding. Go figure.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm comparing core book to core book. I don't think it is justified to count supplements for several reasons. The obvious reason is that we cannot say today how many 5th edition will go on to have, whereas there likely will not be any further WotC 3rd edition supplements. Then of course, supplements are not essential to play: they're optional. For a group that doesn't include them they add zero rules weight. Less obvious perhaps is the simple implausibility of the position. Hundreds of pages of core rules seems heavy weight to me. A lighter weight system might be something like Savage Worlds... which, of course, has a great many supplements.

That as may be, there are two kinds of argument being made here. The first is that both 3rd and 5th edition are heavy weight rule systems. The second is that they are of roughly even weight as such. Page count and rules density on a page is an indicator, but cannot be conclusive about weightiness in this sense. For instance, one could envision light weight rules, expressed verbosely. The two arguments can be sustained separately or together: if either is sustained, then 5th edition is a heavy weight rules system.

One might also raise the question of who for? RPGs that posters here might generally agree are light weight, might seem heavy weight to someone unfamiliar with the kind of game manuals these boards address. I think the question of weightiness is rightly a relative one - is 5th edition D&D relatively heavier than Savage Worlds? - and is rightly measured from the perspective of the community of hobbyists who are familiar with them.

Having DM'd 3rd edition and 5th edition, running weekly sessions for years, I find that the systems of equal weight. That's the bottom line, for me. I've played both for hundreds of hours, and in play, 5th edition is as heavy as 3rd edition. I've played Savage Worlds, and it seems lighter than both to me.

I would say 5E is a heavy weight system, true. Option heavy, for most people, even.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I would say 5E is a heavy weight system, true. Option heavy, for most people, even.

What do we mean by heavy though?

D&D 5e is a gateway game. There are millions of new players, who aren't hobby gamers, who are playing it.

I am familiar with the scale of light-heavy from boardgames. Perhaps it is used differently with RPGs.

Not all light games are gateway games, but all gateway games are light.

Obviously RPGs are different than boardgames and need to be categorized by different metrics. I just wonder if we all mean the same thing with light-heavy. I don't know what people mean by it when applying it to RPGs.

The way 5e plays is certainly much lighter than 3e. It is designed so that players don't need to look up any rules during play. Just go with what the table deems reasonable and move on - that is probably the rule anyway. The adventures are super easy to pick up and play. When I DM I don't even read very much, I just go along with it as we play.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

5E is a light-mid system. Indeed, Mearls describes it above as a storytelling system (which I think in general terminology implies it’s a bit lighter than it is). 3.x/Pathfinder is a mid-heavy system, Hero is a heavy system. Of all the things 5E is, it’s not a heavy system.

That’s why it’s so popular with streamers. I’ve spoken to loads of streamers who switched from Pathfinder to 5E because it’s a light system, which is much easier to run for a show.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What do we mean by heavy though?

D&D 5e is a gateway game. There are millions of new players, who aren't hobby gamers, who are playing it.

I am familiar with the scale of light-heavy from boardgames. Perhaps it is used differently with RPGs.

Not all light games are gateway games, but all gateway games are light.

Obviously RPGs are different than boardgames and need to be categorized by different metrics. I just wonder if we all mean the same thing with light-heavy. I don't know what people mean by it when applying it to RPGs.

The way 5e plays is certainly much lighter than 3e. It is designed so that players don't need to look up any rules during play. Just go with what the table deems reasonable and move on - that is probably the rule anyway. The adventures are super easy to pick up and play. When I DM I don't even read very much, I just go along with it as we play.

It is more elegant, certainly, but...it has a significant number of rules, and most people are going to see it as complex and even a little bit intimidating. I've had to help new people make characters a few times, and they think 5E is pretty heavy and complex. In D&D terms it is light, but for the average person it is very involved.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The 3rd edition Players Handbook was 304 pages of mostly rules.
The 4th edition Players Handbook was 320 pages of mostly rules.
The 5th edition Players Handbook is 320 pages of mostly rules.

For me, a reasonable definition of "not as rules heavy" would involve having noticeably fewer rules.

There are not as many rules in 5e as 3e. Even with the same number of pages, there are fewer different categories of rules. Heck, just compare the combat sections if you want to see what I mean. With 5e, the fewer rules in general have a lot more descriptiveness attached to them, which gives that much greater chance that there will be different interpretations of what they mean.

Remove ads

Remove ads