D&D 5E Island/Sea based adventure to take characters from lvl 1 to 3 (or so)

aco175

Legend
It would be good if you could introduce the main adventure somehow. Perhaps a ship has returned from there empty of crew and the city has closed off the ship for fear of disease. Strange things begin to happen the sewers or a warehouse and the PCs are asked to investigate by the consortium that owns the ship. Introduce something from the isle that could be useful later like a mp or clue to bypass a trap. Maybe the PCs will need to sneak onto the ship to find some answers to the threat in the sewers. After the consortium asks the PCs to go to the isle and find out what happened to the crew or rescue someone who was on the ship or such. Another group of bandits or cultists could also be interested in the ship.

Yeah, if I were in your position, I'd wait until I get Ghosts of Saltmarsh in May and use adventures in that to get your characters leveled up for Isle of Dread.

I sent my PCs to the Isle of Dread before I knew about Ghosts of Saltmarsh, so I'll have to do it in reverse, which will be trickier.

thundershot

Adventurer
My group just did a bunch of stuff on the island from the Tortle Package. Now they’re on the way to the Isle of Dread. But they did Phandelver before that... so they’re 5th level right now. I plan to do a few more island pit stops to give them more to do.

ddaley

Explorer
My group just did a bunch of stuff on the island from the Tortle Package. Now they’re on the way to the Isle of Dread. But they did Phandelver before that... so they’re 5th level right now. I plan to do a few more island pit stops to give them more to do.

Lost Mine is a great little adventure. My group did that using some different characters and really enjoyed it. My group doesn't like overly sandboxy adventures. Lost Mine was just the right amount of sandbox with enough guidance.

I have the Tortle Package. I need to check that out. I may wait and do the Saltmarsh campaign first, then have then start new chars and do Isle of Dread.

S'mon

Legend
Isle of the Sea Drake was written for 4e but is suitable for level 1-3 PCs - http://goodman-games.com/store/product/dungeon-crawl-classics-55-isle-of-the-sea-drake/
You would need to sub in 5e stat blocks for Zombie, Plesiosaur, Tribal Warrior, Bandit (pirate) and Bandit Captain (pirate captain) as I recall. :) Possibly Apes too! And I think there might have been a Druid-type shaman in there.

When I ran it in 4e the PCs went in the wrong entry to the final dungeon, hit the final encounter early and got all-but-1 TPK'd. Your PCs should be 3rd level by the time they face the final fight with (as I recall) the pirate captain & angry plesiosaur. :)

Anyway it is a lot of fun, it is a tropical island adventure of the right level, and I'd definitely recommend it.

Edit: A very full review here - https://www.amazon.com/product-revi...p_d_cmps_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases