Gaming w/Jemal : Star Drift

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Which is why I've decided not to go with the wings.

But I'm not sure what to do. I guess I'm just like if we are using M&M I should at least have something from it.
Well, the wings could just be window dressing (vestigial?) on what I'm imagining as a rather cool envirosuited and/or gas-masked alien from a cold, volcanic planet (so you get both degassing and increased gas retention (oh, and feathers were apparently originaly evolved to keep their bearer warm, so nice example of parallel evolution there even you aren't feathered (cold protection leading to flight!))). Your background would then allow you to Power Stunt glide/limited Flight off of her existing powers. Other possible uses for wings: buffeting (*very* strong pectoral muscles), swimming (if of the right type... you could actually be a *marine* winged species, like the manta ray?), for some reason I'm seeing her using her wings to push her whole body off the ground in a dominant posture, but that's neither here nor there :). Being used to flying, your species could be very good pilots... Or, you could have one of those primordial tech items Jemal mentionned: jet pack anyone? Gravity repulsor belt (personnal 0-gee eveywhere you go)?

Better if you're an official ambassador to the victorian nation then, as that justifies giving you the tech (and even better if you come from or from near that Primordial-built dyson.. or maybe just a panetary-sized primordial artifact exists in your home system and your people are mining it for artifacts, making the victorians wary of "civilizing" you just yet, hence the ambassadorship? (maybe the active ingredient of the belt was taken from something else entirely, if we don't want to suppose too much about said Primordials physiology, and built into the belt by your people?)). Going to be a lot of tight corridors and rooms in your immediate future, but still, you'll be *flying* through them... What do you think?

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I think your vision of my character is decidedly different than mine.

I lowering the gravity in addition to raising the pressure to allow her to breath the same air as humans, just labored like if you were in the mountains. If going with the envirosuit I could just raise the atmo more and not worry about the gravity.

I'm definitely keeping the doesn't like wearing clothes thing, and playing with the conflict between her Ilodarian father's naked culture, and her Human mother's clothed one. Envirosuit doesn't work there. I'm thinking some stuff. More thought is needed.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Name: Griklik Height 1 mt and 80 cm
Skin: light purple, slippery Weight 60 kg
Hair: None Shape Ermolaiaton
Eyes: Dark orange Age: Unknown

Amoeba1.png

Complications
Amnesia : Griklik has lost some portions of his memory due to extended time in stasis
From other galaxy and time : Griklik belongs to another galaxy and to another time. Most likely, anyone who he had previously known is dead, so he has no contacts with anybody.
Aberrant : Griklik's monstruous appereance can startle anyone

Abilities ( 14 pp)
Strength 2 , Stamina 1 , Agility 0 , Dexterity 0 , Fighting 1 , Intellect 4 , Awareness 3 , Precence 0 .

Powers ( 13 pp)
- Ermolaiaton biology ( Extra limbs 4 : Quirk: Not able to do precision work with these extra tentacles. Grants advantages (9) ) · 11 point/s

- Ermolaiaton coordination (Quickness 2: limited to 'stuff he can do with tentacles) · 1 point/s

- Ermolaiaton self gravitation ( Flight 1 : Quirk: When not flying needs to used all tentacles for crawling ) · 1 point/s

Advantages ( 11 pp)
Improvised tools 1 , Inventor 1 , Trance 1 , Ranged attack 0 , Equipment 8
Ermolaiaton biology: Chokehold, Close attack, Fast grab, Imp. Def, Imp. Dis, Imp. Grab, Imp. Hold, Weapon bind, unncanny dodge

Skills ( 9 pp)
Acrobatics 0 (+ 0 ), Deception 0 (+ 0 ), Athletics 0 (+ 2 ), Expertise( Ship ) 2 (+ 9 ), Insight 2 (+ 5 ), Treatment 0 (+ 4 ), Persuacion 0 (+ 0 ), Technology 6 (+ 14 ), Close (Unnarmed) 2 (+ 3 ), Vehicles 0 (+ 0 ), Sleight of Hand 0 (+ 0 ), Ranged combat (Accelerated particle emmitter) 4 (+ 4 ), Perception 2 (+ 5 ), Intimidation 0 (+ 0 ), Investigation 0 (+ 4 ), Stealth 0 (+ 0 ),

Offence
Initiative: 0
Accelerated particle emmitter + 4 Attack for DC: 19 Range: Ranged, multiattack ( )
Throw + 0 Attack for DC: 17 Range: Ranged ( )
Unarmed + 4 Attack for DC: 19 Range: Melee, applies grab ( )
Grab + 4 Attack for DC: 24 Range: Melee ( )

Defence ( 3 pp)
Dodge: 4 (3 from eq) Parry: : 4 (3 from eq)
Toughness: 4 (3 from eq)
Fortitude: 2
Will: 4

Equipment
Accelerated particle emmitter (submachine gun with energy descriptor) 12 ep
Ermolaiaton defensive harness (Large shield+ Chianmail) 9 ep
Chief engenier matrix (Enhance trait: Expertise (Ship) +4, Technology +4, Awareness +2, Intellect +2) 12 ep

Last edited:

Binder Fred

I'm definitely keeping the doesn't like wearing clothes thing, and playing with the conflict between her Ilodarian father's naked culture, and her Human mother's clothed one.
Then maybe a couple of minions from her father's side of the family (or her actual father/mother?) so you have something to mediate between?

Binder Fred

Oh, almost forgot: [MENTION=9026]Jemal[/MENTION], are we going with the 1:2 base skill rule or the rather widespread "1:3 except for combat skill which remain 1:2"?

Jemal

Adventurer
Well this *is* a sci-fi game... and you did ask for questions in your very first post, right?
Oh most definitely, I had just misunderestimated :)p) how scientifically literate of an audience I would attract. I had expected Maybe one person who would have these types of questions, especially since I'm not going for 'hard sci fi'. It's not a problem at all, just makes my galaxy-building seem a bit more haphazard than I would like. :p
A lot of the questions you guys have had ARE stuff I had figured out, just not put down, but the variant gravity/pressure systems and the stuff about the 'enemy' were stuff I hadn't done much about.
I'd specifically left the enemy 'unknown' but hadn't meant to imply that they were 'unknowable'.

ALL - As you have probably noticed by now, Voda has expressed immense interest in playing the one 'true' alien. Sorry if anybody else had hopes up but he's been asking me about it for a while now.

OK, GRAVITY: I actually WILL be using variant gravity's, but they do generally stay 'similar'.. 0.5G - 2G(The universe being largely human-run, Gravity force is measured in Earth-constant) is the average for planets with sentient life, though there are exceptions. Average on human/mixed-race space-ships is about .8G (Allowing easier movement without causing disorientation or bone deterioration), with 1G zones for sleep and muscle-maintenance, though Race-specific ships default closer to their more comfortable norm.
I will not be focusing overly much on how or why that is the case, but if you wish to come up with the scientific explanations OOC (Or even IC, if your character is scientifically inclined), feel free - it'll add greatly to the world, but is more work than I have time for - I'm giving most of my time to story (And my several other games, baby, work, etc..)

BF - I actually don't recall ever hearing of that rule before.. interesting thought, but not for this campaign. I've already reduced the starting points b/c people won't be spending a lot on powers anyway, so reducing the cost of skills would be mechanically akin to increasing the points again.
Yes, it does promote skill usage, but I don't think that's neccessary given that I've been rather clear (I think?) that skills will see more use in this campaign than any combat stats, in addition to the addage of tech upgrades.

What I miss?

Voda Vosa - I actually like the character more than I had expected. :D (That's meant as a compliment though it may sound backhanded)
A few notes - I would suggest 2 ranks of Quickness, limited to 'stuff you can do with tentacles' (For 1pp) to account for the extra limbs allowing you to do certain things faster, which makes sense I think.
Is your character capable of movement aside from flight? Keep in mind that as it isn't permanent/Innate, it CAN be nullified. You have your flight listed as 'self-gravitation', I presume this is some sort of biological anti-gravity? It's likely that there is tech, radiation, or other circumstances that may temporarily incapacitate this ability.
If you'd like you could take a complication that when not flying you have to crawl around with your extra limbs at a reduced speed(maybe -1 speed). For a 1 pt Quirk instead of a simple complication, you could say that your 4 extra limbs are only usable for movement when you aren't flying.

Equipment:
Ermolaiaton defensive harness (Large shield+ Chianmail) 9 ep
Normally shields have the downside of needing to be wielded. If you want this to all stem from your harness(leaving all limbs open and the shield not disarmable), I'll allow it as a 'feature' increasing the cost to 10ep.
Chief engenier matrix (Enhance trait: Expertise (Ship) +4, Technology +4, Awareness +2, Intellect +2) 12 ep
Enhancing skills or stats would be things that fall under the heading of a device, not equipment. I'd also want to know what 'type' of device it is.. held or worn? What does it resemble? I get the harness, but calling something a 'matrix' doesn't really describe what it is.

Finally, with regards to your complications: your monstrous appearance will likely be a big deal, but I'm going to be a bit reserved with the Hero Points gained from it. I won't be OVERLY stingy, and when it causes a serious inconvenience/problem, it'll qualify, but it's not going to be like a normal 'racism' complication - that's just the price you pay for being 'the alien'. ;)

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
What I miss?

Voda Vosa - I actually like the character more than I had expected. :D (That's meant as a compliment though it may sound backhanded)
A few notes - I would suggest 2 ranks of Quickness, limited to 'stuff you can do with tentacles' (For 1pp) to account for the extra limbs allowing you to do certain things faster, which makes sense I think.

Is your character capable of movement aside from flight? Keep in mind that as it isn't permanent/Innate, it CAN be nullified. You have your flight listed as 'self-gravitation', I presume this is some sort of biological anti-gravity? It's likely that there is tech, radiation, or other circumstances that may temporarily incapacitate this ability. If you'd like you could take a complication that when not flying you have to crawl around with your extra limbs at a reduced speed(maybe -1 speed). For a 1 pt Quirk instead of a simple complication, you could say that your 4 extra limbs are only usable for movement when you aren't flying.

Equipment:

Normally shields have the downside of needing to be wielded. If you want this to all stem from your harness(leaving all limbs open and the shield not disarmable), I'll allow it as a 'feature' increasing the cost to 10ep.

Enhancing skills or stats would be things that fall under the heading of a device, not equipment. I'd also want to know what 'type' of device it is.. held or worn? What does it resemble? I get the harness, but calling something a 'matrix' doesn't really describe what it is.

Finally, with regards to your complications: your monstrous appearance will likely be a big deal, but I'm going to be a bit reserved with the Hero Points gained from it. I won't be OVERLY stingy, and when it causes a serious inconvenience/problem, it'll qualify, but it's not going to be like a normal 'racism' complication - that's just the price you pay for being 'the alien'. ;)

Will reply in order:

1) Glad you liked him, I liked making the concept. I will take that suggestion, I was actually struggling with how to represent having extra limbs would affect his work.

2)I will also shamelessly steal that idea. I like the fact that his bio-anti-gravity might be nullified, forcing him to crawl.

3) I thought that it would have plates over some of his tentacles that he would have to wield. If that sounds ridiculus I'll take the harness for 10 ep, no prob.

4) I was thiking something like a pep boy from fallout, a hand (tentacle?) held device, with a screen, or a holographic display, that contains a database and instructions. It would be something the creators of the ship would have designed for the engineer crew to be able to do repairs quicker and easier.

5) Ditto on the monstrous appearance, wouldn't want it otherwise

Shayuri

First Post
We'll need to work out how the Flying Cthulhu joined our merry band. Something tells me we didn't just meet a thing from another galaxy in a bar somewhere. :)

Thinking on concepts now. Not sure what I am after. I like playing techies and pilots, but I do it so often. Perhaps a change of pace.

Or perhaps not. I kind of want to see what other folks are doing before I commit. :)

Jemal

Adventurer
We've already discussed his entry to the game. Lets just say the ship comes with a few toy surprises, including mascot. ;)

Binder Fred

I won't be submitting a character for this game after all. The greatest part of it is that I just got accepted in a game where I've been a lurker for some time (Yeah!), and that tops my quota for available free time. To be candid, the rest, which is minor but still an influence, is a question of game-feel: I like the base concept and I'm sure I would have had a lot of fun in this game, but I was also, obviously, hoping for a harder feel to it when I first came up with my character concept. Nothing wrong with softer sci-fi (I love Star Wars, the softest possible science you can possibly achieve ;)), but that's not what I was really looking for at the time.

Have fun you guys! I'll definitively be lurking in,
Fred.

Remove ads