Critical Hit Podcast

adamc

First Post
Not sure if this is old news (probably) but there is a really fun D&D adventure podcast out there called Critical Hit: http://majorspoilers.com/category/critical-hit/ They're playing 4e, although I'd think non-4e players might still enjoy it.

It will make the most sense if you start at the beginning and catch up, of course.

FWIW, I have no affiliation with the product, other than I like it and have donated to help keep it going.

Raistrox

First Post
Yea, I agree it is definitely a fun listen. I have a lot of catching up to do (been listening to Roll for Initiative, a 1E AD&D podcast) but CH is can be good for anyone to listen to. DM Vince of RFI who is vehemently anti-4E has even said he has listened to CH because it is fun and has a great cast of characters. It doesn't matter which edition you play, you can always mine something for a plot idea or an encounter idea!

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I have a friend who's constantly talking about how 4e is a great combat system but it's impossible to do roleplaying in 4e. I keep wanting him to listen to Critical Hit, especially the more recent stuff since Trell joined.

I personally started somewhere in the middle of the spring court, and listened to current and I'm now re-listening from the vary beginning marveling at how far they've come.

Raistrox

First Post
I hate when people say "you can't roleplay in 4E". There are no rules for role-playing, because there doesn't need to be rules for role-playing. My 10 yr old son was role-playing while playing the Castle Ravenloft boardgame. You can roleplay while playing Monopoly for crying out loud, if you wanted to.

Do skills reduce the need to roleplay as much? Yea, I can see that point. But, IMO, skills should be used to complement actual roleplaying. I personally sure don't have an 18 CHA, WIS, INT, DEX, or any other ability, so having a skill system helps show what my character can do that I really can't. It's not fair to say "If you want to swindle someone, lie to them, or try to get past a guard using your wits, then you have to roleplay it, there is no Bluff or Diplomacy skills." without telling the guy with an 18 DEX that he personally has to really run along a 1-inch wide ledge if his character does or that a player has to show how his 18 STR fighter busts down a wall.

Skills definitely have a purpose, but it doesn't take out the need or the existance of actual roleplaying IF the players want to roleplay. Also, some players might not feel as comfortable as others roleplaying or might not be as good at it as others, so they shouldn't be penalized for their lack of RP skills either.

Moon_Goddess

[MENTION=82232]Raistrox[/MENTION] actually his arguement is always the opposite

He argues that the lack of skills (and other rules) makes it impossible to roleplay in 4e.

i.e. There's no Craft Skill in 4e so that means 4e characters can never craft

D'karr

Adventurer
Thanks for this link. I had not seen this before. It took me a while to locate all the episodes but now they're downloaded and being listened to. I like how they've incorporated "rules" talk with their game without being disruptive. Quite nice.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
@Raistrox actually his arguement is always the opposite

He argues that the lack of skills (and other rules) makes it impossible to roleplay in 4e.

i.e. There's no Craft Skill in 4e so that means 4e characters can never craft

This is true of most editions of D&D, and quite a few other games besides it. How did we survive the 80's?

Does he only play one game?

CH should help enlighten his view if you can talk him into listening. It's a good example of how people actually play the game.

Moon_Goddess

He started with Vampire LARP and then moved to 3.0 DND

I know he's played lots of other things since, but never AD&D (I started with 2e) So it's historical perspective. He tends to compare everything to d20.

I got him to listen to one episode of CH selected by me containing no combat and a lot story I enjoyed, I've asked him 3 times since for what he thought... no answer.

Raistrox

First Post
But you don't need a skill to craft, if it's not in the system. I know that in d20 there was a skill, but in 4E, you can just say he was a smith before he was an adventurer or something. I'm sure there's a background or theme in the DDI character builder that at least glosses over the subject.

Raith5

Adventurer
But you don't need a skill to craft, if it's not in the system. I know that in d20 there was a skill, but in 4E, you can just say he was a smith before he was an adventurer or something. I'm sure there's a background or theme in the DDI character builder that at least glosses over the subject.

We have a PC in our 4th ed party who was cook/baker before becoming a wizard. He sometimes brings into roleplaying situations. I dont understand how the lack of mechanics to support this background story helps or hinders roleplaying. Roleplaying to me is about setting up a narrative context where the choice of skills makes sense - in this sense the skill list of 4th ed is is fine and doesnt get in the way - because it is stripped down I actually find it far more useful than the more specific nature of 3rd ed's list.

Remove ads