D&D 5E Making your Forgotten Realms Factions Memorable

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Hi-

I luv the Realms, what a great and rich setting it is. Another thing I like are the various factions with the Harpers being my favorite. But I want to make the first encounter with the Harpers to be a memorable RP encounter, so I came up with this:

As the players gather for the first time to meet the High Wizard Ellen Carmella , she glides down from her high position to personally greet the players with her assistant in tow. One of the players makes a funny joke and the assistant Laughs nervously, Carmella quickly turns to her assistant with a stern look and says:

Carmella: "What did I tell you about Laughing?"
Assistant: Only 9 year old girls laugh Mistress"
Carmella: "Didnt I tell you that you had your last laugh when you laid eyes on me?"
Assistant: Yes Mistress

Than Carmella launches into her rant about being a Harper to all:

"We are the Harpers and proud of it! We are in a class all by our selves. this is the toughest outfit in Fearun and there will be no bug outs! No body quits here, this is the Harpers and we are the best! Do you hear me?

I think the players will really get a kick out of me doing this during our next game. By the by, can anybody spot were this dialog is from?

Scott

pukunui

Legend
I like the general idea. The specific example, though, reads more like an introduction to a Lords' Alliance or Order of the Gauntlet member to me. I can't really see a Harper being against laughter - or having that much rigid discipline. The Harpers are more freewheeling than that.

While this could be a memorable intro, it might also give your players the wrong impression of the Harpers. First impressions and all that.

ehenning

Explorer
Starship Troopers

And I agree with [MENTION=54629]pukunui[/MENTION]. You can frame it how you like in your campaign, but I always read the Harpers as much more neutral and focused on the big picture, not etiquette or appearances.

aco175

Legend
I always liked a group of 1st-level nobodies out on survival patrol trying to become members. The PCs need to rescue them from something and their higher level teacher shows up at the end. He was shadowing them in case of trouble but discovered a larger problem that he now needs the PCs help with. He invites them to meet his superior once they are done.

This places the PCs in the action and allows them to be heroes. They can choose to join or not. It also makes things interesting when they ask only part of the party to join.

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Correct on the Harpers proper mission in FR, but this is MY campaign version of the Realms, so I will make what ever faction I choose as I see fit. Sure I can struggle to come up with my own campaign world, but I just do not have the time or inclination. So I'll use a canned campaign world and Jerry rig it to my liking.

Not Starship Troopers......

Starship Troopers

And I agree with [MENTION=54629]pukunui[/MENTION]. You can frame it how you like in your campaign, but I always read the Harpers as much more neutral and focused on the big picture, not etiquette or appearances.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
Correct on the Harpers proper mission in FR, but this is MY campaign version of the Realms, so I will make what ever faction I choose as I see fit. Sure I can struggle to come up with my own campaign world, but I just do not have the time or inclination. So I'll use a canned campaign world and Jerry rig it to my liking.
I didn't get that from your OP. Nevertheless, I think your opening scene is more likely to put people off joining the group. But again: I do approve of the overall idea of making factions more memorable.

Remove ads