The Orville - Season 1

Ryujin

Legend
It was entertaining enough, had a pretty strong Trek vibe to it. The characters feel more, I dunno, real? than the crew members from the modern Trek series. But then it's got Brannon Braga as one of the producers (is that why we have a holodeck scene in the first episode? :]), and the doctor played Kasidy Yates on DS9, so that just ups the Trek vibe (come to think of it, didn't that head scientist guy play Bashir's dad too?). Those bad guys look like a mis-mash of several "bad guy" Trek species too.

I did have one horrible, horrible thought about 10 minutes into the show though.

IT'S ON FOX

From where I sit Brannon Braga being involved isn't a ringing endorsement either.

Ryujin

Legend
I found it to be refreshing.

After how dark and political rebooted Battlestar Galactica was, this is light, funny, goofy...

A great parody of sci-fi in general.

I can easily see Orville doing better than ST.Discovery.

There's a definite dearth of hopeful SciFi these days. Everything now seems to be about some dystopian future. Except "Orville."

akr71

Hero
I was entertained, but I have a feeling it is going to become a victim of the show (& its viewers) not knowing what it is. Is it serious, is it parody (which can only last so long), is it a humorous homage?

Ryujin

Legend
Yea, thought that was a bad sign too and of all nights, Thursday! I can understand the move from Sunday, it is Football season.

Which is why I didn't understand putting it in the Sunday slot to begin with; it was almost certain to be delayed at some point and it was, last night.

Orius

Legend
Which is why I didn't understand putting it in the Sunday slot to begin with; it was almost certain to be delayed at some point and it was, last night.

I'm guessing they used the slot to promote it before the usual Sunday shows premiere. I was annoyed about the game running late (by 45 freakin' minutes!), the local Fox affiliate is really bad with sports running over the allotted time. At least Fox showed the whole episode, this particular station has a very bad and very ugly habit of cutting off shows, particularly syndicated fare, when a lousy game runs late. I'm not a sports fan, and it galls me to miss something I want to watch for sports.

The episode itself was rather amusing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases