The Orville - Season 1

CapnZapp

Legend
Latest episode - LOVED IT!

It was both smutty and immature... and a classic Trek story... and actually progressive and a middle-finger to homophobiacs... but mostly smutty and immature icon_mrgreen.gif

Orius

Legend
I was concerned because the show is tonally odd, its mix of exploring social issues and lowbrow humor doesn't always work. Secondly, the show has been savaged by critics and the ratings have fluctuated week to week. Lastly, it is on Fox. They have a history of cancelling sci-fi shows I like, particularly Firefly and Terra Nova. I was all but certain the show was doomed, and am glad it gets a season 2.

Yeah, the critics hate it, but the audience seems to like it. Sure, there's a lot that's silly and lowbrow, but it's done a pretty good job of following in Trek's footsteps. I enjoyed it from the start, it's just a fun show to watch. Honestly, it's been too long since there's been any decent space opera like this on TV, people say there's too much dark Sci-Fi and the audience is enjoying this as something fresh. To me a lot of what's on broadcast TV seems to be lots of superhero stuff, and while that's not bad, this show's a great change of pace. Sure, there's a lot of puerile humor, but they've done pretty well with social commentary stuff; the Social Media World episode was the sort of thing you'd see back in the TOS days or the classic Twilight Zone.

This week's episode wasn't too bad either, though I found the plot twists to be pretty predictable. It still delivered well.

[sblock]I had a feeling that Lowe's character was kind of manipulating Kelly somehow, and it was pretty funny when Ed started getting affected too. Interesting twist on it too that it wasn't malicious either, more of an oblivious but self-centered "I don't see what the big deal is, my culture is just totally into free love". I figured they'd solve the weekly conflict with a love fest thing too once everyone figured out what was going on. And it should be interesting to see how this affects Ed and Kelly's relationship when it was revealed that she was likely under the same influence a year ago.[/sblock]

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, the critics hate it, but the audience seems to like it. Sure, there's a lot that's silly and lowbrow, but it's done a pretty good job of following in Trek's footsteps. I enjoyed it from the start, it's just a fun show to watch. Honestly, it's been too long since there's been any decent space opera like this on TV, people say there's too much dark Sci-Fi and the audience is enjoying this as something fresh. To me a lot of what's on broadcast TV seems to be lots of superhero stuff, and while that's not bad, this show's a great change of pace. Sure, there's a lot of puerile humor, but they've done pretty well with social commentary stuff; the Social Media World episode was the sort of thing you'd see back in the TOS days or the classic Twilight Zone.

This week's episode wasn't too bad either, though I found the plot twists to be pretty predictable. It still delivered well.

[sblock]I had a feeling that Lowe's character was kind of manipulating Kelly somehow, and it was pretty funny when Ed started getting affected too. Interesting twist on it too that it wasn't malicious either, more of an oblivious but self-centered "I don't see what the big deal is, my culture is just totally into free love". I figured they'd solve the weekly conflict with a love fest thing too once everyone figured out what was going on. And it should be interesting to see how this affects Ed and Kelly's relationship when it was revealed that she was likely under the same influence a year ago.[/sblock]

Lowe was the perfect actor for the part. Reminded me of his role in James Gunn's early movie "The Specials."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My ONE problem was the Yaphit/Doctor love scene.

Iā€™ve seen too many movies like The Blob to have so rapidly reached the conclusion Alara Kitan did that it was sex and not supper she was witnessing. Kind of like when Lal (Dataā€™s daughter in TNG) saw the couple kissing and exclaimed ā€œHeā€™s biting that female!ā€ I was expecting her to go in with fists & feet flailing. Awkward!

Ryujin

Legend
My ONE problem was the Yaphit/Doctor love scene.

Iā€™ve seen too many movies like The Blob to have so rapidly reached the conclusion Alara Kitan did that it was sex and not supper she was witnessing. Kind of like when Lal (Dataā€™s daughter in TNG) saw the couple kissing and exclaimed ā€œHeā€™s biting that female!ā€ I was expecting her to go in with fists & feet flailing. Awkward!

In the ST:TNG episode that you're talking about Lal was a newborn, with zero context for what was happening. In "The Orrville" some people have been complaining about the building of that context since episode 1. Plus the face. I don't think that there was any real chance of misconstruing what was going on ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In the ST:TNG episode that you're talking about Lal was a newborn, with zero context for what was happening. In "The Orrville" some people have been complaining about the building of that context since episode 1. Plus the face. I don't think that there was any real chance of misconstruing what was going on ;)

We donā€™t know what Alara knows, true. But as to the face? We already had one species on board spreading pheromones. Yaphitā€™s species could just as easily used chemicals to bliss out their prey to immobility, a la the giant slime mold in X-Filesā€™ ā€œField Tripā€ episode.

Remove ads