Black Panther and Tomb of Annihilation

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
... but I see absolutely no reason to include another mediocre superhero movie that people politicize to an extreme degree. ...
One of these days I will learn to watch movies before commenting on them. :p

Since BP had a reasonable second-weekend, it may have managed to AVOID dipping into politics. Especially of the rancid variety.

That sounds like a good approach!

With ruins everywhere – fallen Omu, fallen Mezro, etc. – I could imagine portraying Chult as a sort of fallen Wakanda that found a new mercantile identity post-royalty. Once they had magical marvels and great technology (similar to neighboring Lantan, but more spirit-focused maybe?) that eclipsed the outside world, overseen by the royalty, but with the collapse of Omu all that was scattered/lost.

Some great ideas here. One easy way to bring that post-Wakandan theme might be to add special teleportation circles, located at all the important places (Nangalore, Omu, Mezro, Port Nyanzaru, etc) which they can use to speed up the travel towards the end of the adventure. Naturally these would only work with special crystals that they can find in the ruins...

My concern about your floating skull is that you'd add yet another NPC guide to an adventure that already has too many of them :D I am, however, really liking the idea of using the undead angle more than just for Ras Nsi's backstory and random encounters. I've yet to read the Tomb of Nine Gods, but preferably you could add an encounter or two in there to tie off that plot thread as well?
[MENTION=6802553]BookBarbarian[/MENTION]

As to using Heroclix and Black Panther toys - the real dream would be to create Black Kamadan, for a rather bizarre mashup...

UnknownDyson

Explorer
While I do like Tomb of Annihilation quite a great deal, it is at odds with the themes present in Black Panther. T0A perpetuates a popular racist trope (probably unintentionally) that has been prevalent in D&D and most other fantasy mediums for a very long time. This trope portrays black people as unable to govern a civilization, it is either A)colonized by foreign invaders (Amn in previous editions) or B) a ruined husk do to mismanagement by it's occupants. If you've seen Black Panther than you know that it is the opposite of this.

In order to make TOA like Black Panther, I would say that you would need to heavily alter the story regarding the fate of Mezro and the depections of chultans.

Remove ads