Is D&D Your Favorite RPG?

Is D&D Your Favorite RPG?

• Yes

Votes: 238 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 200 45.7%

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Huh, I see I've previously voted in this poll. It's interesting to note that my game preferences have rotated in the intervening years. I'm seriously digging Pathfinder right now, so I'd say I'm back in the 'D&D is my favourite' segment.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I voted "no" since if I were forced to pick one I'd probably give the nod to the FATE Accelerated version of FATE.

D&D 4 would at least be in the running, though.

Aldeon

First Post
I almost said yes, but I've got to give it up for Savage Worlds overall. If I were to only see it from a player's perspective rather than one of a GM, I've got to give it to D&D then.

Not anymore. I used to adore 2E AD&D, but in retrospect, that was largely due to having an excellent gaming group at the time(and have never found one to match it). Now I still like some aspects of it, but find it to be rather clunky overall.

3E I only got into because I moved, my old 2E books got stolen, and the group I started gaming with had already switched. There were always some things about it that bothered me, but it grew on me after a while. Then it grew back off of me as I began to find a dislike of ridiculous stacks of modifiers and the extreme randomness of a single die roll.

4E I never got into at all for two real reasons. The initial reason was that I had never played with a grid or miniatures. I also am not a fan of the hardcoded role/class association, but since I never actually played the game, I can't say with authority how hard that is to get around. The thing that turned me off of 4E forever, though, was the gutting of the Forgotten Realms setting. I don't need to go into that here, because I'm sure you've seen plenty of those rants. Suffice to say that WotC didn't see any of my money after 4E's release until they published Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms.

I may give Next/5E a chance, but as far as I'm concerned, there are far better systems out there right now. At the moment, I'm finding FFG's Star Wars RPG to be thoroughly enjoyable, and I may be looking for a good Superhero RPG soon as well.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
There was a time when I would have said unequivocally YES. Now? I don't know. The older I get the more I prefer rules-light systems to the rules-heavy systems that are modern D&D. I still love Rules Cyclopedia D&D (or Moldvay/Mentzer boxed sets, if you like) and AD&D 2nd edition, but haven't played enough of it recently to say it's my absolute favorite RPG anymore. I'm not sure I actually have a favorite right now. I currently run Pathfinder, but don't love it the way I loved AD&D back in the day.

I did love the WEG Star Wars RPG. I actually had a system mastery of that system in the late-90s and could never play it enough. I still love it. Maybe that's my favorite RPG, even if it is a little clunky with experienced characters and doesn't handle Jedi all that well. But then again, Jedi aren't really supposed to be balanced in the narrative of the game's universe.

Shadow21X

First Post
D&D is probably the best tabletop RPG, but I've got a soft spot for Might and Magic. I played those old computer games a lot growing up, especially Mandate of Heaven.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases